PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about the area...

RSTPerformance
10-31-2004, 06:43 PM
Question # 1 girl issues:

Ok, I got suckered into driving the rig, and I suckered a wonderful girl to accompany me (and help drive). I need to treat her to some good wine and a nice dinner on wednesday afternoon/night.

Is their any "to do" things in the area that might also be of interest to two youngsters in their 20's?

Question # 2 The Crew:

The crew will have the racing urges all weekend, so I think we need to take them all to the best go-cart facility within an hours drive of Atlanta... Where is it?

[B]Question 3 Internet:]

Are their any "hot spots" at the track where we can use a wireless modem card thingy on a laptop? We need to keep the crew back home updated. Oh and on that note, we can keep updated using the I-card thing right? Does that also transimit on a webpage?

Any suggestions on the above questions would be great...

Raymond "so close I am getting down to the details now" Blethen

gsbaker
10-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
I need to treat her to some good wine and a nice dinner on wednesday afternoon/night.

http://www.chateauelanatlanta.com/dining/index.html

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited October 31, 2004).]

CaptainWho
10-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
best go-cart facility within an hours drive of Atlanta... Where is it?

The one I can think of are Andretti down in Roswell. Andretti is kindof a pain to get to if you don't know the roads around the northern Atlanta suburbs, but not impossible.

Take I-85 south to I-285. Go west on I-285 to Ga 400. Take Ga 400 north to Mansell Road (Exit 8 I think). At the top of the ramp, turn left. Go about two or three miles to the second large intersection, Roswell Road (Hwy 9). Turn right (headed north). Go about a mile or two and it's on your left.

There used to be a "Grand Prix Racing" type of place at Gwinnett Place Mall. It would be easy to get to from Road Atlanta (just take I-85 south for a few miles) but I think it has gone out of business. At least I can't find anything on the web about it.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing (http://www.nutdriver.org)

[This message has been edited by CaptainWho (edited October 31, 2004).]

Anubis
10-31-2004, 11:59 PM
If you do get on 400 try to avoid being on it between 4ish to 7ish, traffic is rather nasty. Also try not to head back from there until at least 7ish, heading north will be difficult. Spent an hour and 15 minutes heading upto the Gwinnett game this past Friday from close to 400 which is normally a 20 minute drive.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

No more the small one, the weak one, the frightened one.
Running from beatings, deflating.
I'm becoming more than a man. More than you ever were.
Driven and burning to rise beyond Jesus.

R2 Racing
11-01-2004, 12:26 AM
I'd like to know if there's any internet at the track too. Seems like it's becoming more and more common now. If so, the wireless labtop will be in full effect.

Hey Raymond, that girl single? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Kevin - who's 25 and single......again

chuck baader
11-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Guys, Roswell road is hwy 19...

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

bobpink
11-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Never mind....

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited November 04, 2004).]

OTLimit
11-01-2004, 08:09 PM
The guys found a cool go-kart place in an old grocery store in Gainesville, but if I remember correctly (help me out here, Alan), it was closed when they tried to go last year.

If you really need to take her to dinner, I know that Chateau Elan for a nice (romantic) dinner would be really nice (and a pipe dream).

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

apr67
11-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by OTLimit:
The guys found a cool go-kart place in an old grocery store in Gainesville, but if I remember correctly (help me out here, Alan), it was closed when they tried to go last year.

I belive you are correct, but I did sit it out last year. I think the crew was too hard core for little old me.

alan

CaptainWho
11-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by chuck baader:
Guys, Roswell road is hwy 19...

Originally posted by Bob Pinkowski:
One too many digits there Chuck Roswell Road is Hwy. 9. Known as Alpharetta Hwy too.

I think it might be both ... GA 9 and US 19.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin

mgreene87
11-02-2004, 08:43 PM
I live here in Gainesville, which is about ten minutes from Road Atlanta. There are many places to eat in the downtown area, like The Monkey Barrel. Their pizza and pasta is excellent and they have almost any kind of beer, wine or liquor you would want.

HOOSER 99
11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Ray
TOWING TIP #1---while not as spectacular at night, the trailer will tow a lot better if you crank the jack up before you leave http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

GOOD LUCK!!

jerry monaghan

chuck baader
11-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Bob, having grown up running up and down Roswell road, US19, from the Zesto in Buckhead to Sandy Springs High School in my mis-spent youth, trust me, Roswell Road is Hwy 19.

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

DavidM
11-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi all. I've been lurking doing some research on getting into one of the IT series next year. Lots of good info here. Anways, I live in the area so thought I'd chime in...

I'd go with Chateau Elan for dinner if you can get in. Definitely make reservations. It'll be pricey.

There's a Malibu Grand Prix about 30 mins down 985/85 in Norcross. Take 985 S to 85 S and get off at the Indian Trail Exit. Go straight through the light after you get off the Interstate and it'll be about a 1/2 mile down on the left (right next to the Interstate). They have the "go-carts" made up to look like open wheel racers. It's not wheel-to-wheel racing, only timed laps. They have some other go-carts as well, but they're not as good. They have other stuff there as well like an arcade and batting cages. It's not as nice as Andretti, but it's cheaper.

If you go to Andretti, don't go all the way down to 285 and back up 400. You'd be better off cutting across one of the roads around Lake Lanier. I think 120 might work. I'm not too familiar with that area.

The tower has Internet access, but I don't know if they offer any type of wireless hot-spot.

David

bobpink
11-04-2004, 03:58 PM
I work at the Hwy. 9 and Mansell Road area so that is how I know it and misread your post Chuck. US19...Hwy.9...either one works for me.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

oanglade
11-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Also check out the action at Lanier National Speedway accross the street from Road Atlanta for some Roundy-round stuff.

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

bhudson
11-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Or if you're interested in tacky tourism, drive north to Helen. Alpine theme town in the Georgia mountains. Not as tacky as Cherokee, NC or Pigeon Forge, TN but a lot closer.

CaptainWho
11-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by DavidM:
If you go to Andretti, don't go all the way down to 285 and back up 400. You'd be better off cutting across one of the roads around Lake Lanier. I think 120 might work. I'm not too familiar with that area.
[/B]

You can certainly do that, but it's tougher for someone that doesn't know the area. You could use Ga 20 from I-85 to Ga 400 and go south on 400, and both Ga 120 and Ga 140 will get you over there. But they're not necessarily for the faint of hard or haters of maps. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin