PDA

View Full Version : Track Notes

planet6racing
10-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, in preparation for the event, I'm looking for track notes to know what to look for. I have plenty of videos (but can always use more) to relate things to, but would be nice to pick up any secrets to getting around the place...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

CaptainWho
10-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Take a look at

http://www.fastmachines.com/archives/sport..._car/000945.php (http://www.fastmachines.com/archives/sports_car/000945.php)

for Gunnar Jeannette's view of the track in a P900 Panoz LMP01. Somewhere on the Web there's an article from Randy Pobst (I think) describing the track from the point of view of a car more similar to ours, but I can't find it right now.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing (http://www.nutdriver.org)

RacerBowie
10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Rd. Atl. secrets: (or at least some of them)

Turn 1 is very fast. Much faster than you think it is.

There is one spot on the gators at turn 3 where it is a smooth launch and won't make you bounce as badly on landing...find it in your practice session and learn to hit it every lap.

Turn 5 is bumpy, but a good exit is crucial to get up the hill, get it slowed down for entry, get on the gas early.

Turn 7, slow in fast out. I will repeat that, as it is really important: slow in fast out!

Back straight: draft draft draft. Sound meter is on the left just before black flag.

There is a dip at the very inside of 10a (the left at the "bus stop") try to not hit this too hard, as it will loosen you up and kill your exit up the hill.

Turn 12 is really really really fast. You can go faster through there than you can get into it. (unless you have a TON of power)

That is all I am giving away. You're welcome.

Bowie

lateapex911
10-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks!

Now I just have to make the numbers match my minds eye!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gsbaker
10-20-2004, 04:49 PM
The left-right complex at T10 (10a, 10b, 11, whatever) is not symmetrical. You can hit the rumble strips on the left hander without much problem, avoiding the dip Bowie mentions, but the strips on the right-hander are rather severe.

As you leave this and head for T12, aim for the "Z" in "Suzuki" on the side of the bridge.

Note: recommended based on a high HP RWD car. Your mileage may vary.

Gregg

gsbaker
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Almost forgot:

- For the 1-2 transition, aim for the end of the paint from the pit exit. Some drivers use a corresponding tree location.

- Depending on how much speed you can carry through T5, feel free to exit right into the area for the school course. A small bump, but lots of room.

- Go hard into T6. It has camber in your favor.

- Per Bowie: "Turn 7, slow in fast out. I will repeat that, as it is really important: slow in fast out!" Could not agree more. You are looking at a mile of WOT, so don't get greedy on the entry.

G