PDA

View Full Version : Threaded shock rule

fixrim
08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
I understand that for 05 threaded shock bodies will be allowed in IT, anyone know if the ARRC tech guys are going to allow this now or do I need to machine off threads for one event??

GKR_17
08-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Officially, that was only a proposed rule change, to be voted on in the August meeting. It's a safe bet that it will pass, but won't take effect until January 2005.

If the ARRC organizers get something in the Supps before taking any entries they may be able to allow that new rule for the event. Without that, the tech officials and the SOM's are bound by the current rules.

Grafton

bhudson
09-02-2004, 09:02 AM
I have no indications that the ARRC will run with "proposed" 2005 rules, therefore the safest bet is to bring a 2004 legal car.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region BOD

bobpink
09-10-2004, 10:58 AM
From the Atlanta RE:

"Generally speaking the ARRC is run under 2004 rules. The only exception to this has been SM, when the rules were in such a state of flux. It is my intention to run all the classes under 2004 rules, this year, including SM. So If threaded shocks are allowed in 2005, they need to wait until 2005 to install them."

That's all folks.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude (no longer for sale, I think)

fixrim
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Threads have been machined off already... I hated to do this for one event (if I even go!)

chump
09-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bobpink:
From the Atlanta RE:

"Generally speaking the ARRC is run under 2004 rules. The only exception to this has been SM, when the rules were in such a state of flux. It is my intention to run all the classes under 2004 rules, this year, including SM.
That's all folks.

So I assume that means the tires will be kumhos and toyos for Spec Miata yes?

Thanks!

Jason

Greg Amy
09-13-2004, 12:34 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">So I assume that means the tires will be kumhos and toyos for Spec Miata yes?</font>

Why would you assume that? As I recall, the nationally-published Spec Miata rules give regions "the option" of specifying a tire, however unless otherwise specified there is no tire manufacturer restriction.

Further, the 2004 ARRC was run with open tires and Hoosier's SM ruled the weekend...

chump
09-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by grega:
Why would you assume that? As I recall, the nationally-published Spec Miata rules give regions "the option" of specifying a tire, however unless otherwise specified there is no tire manufacturer restriction.

Further, the 2004 ARRC was run with open tires and Hoosier's SM ruled the weekend...

I would assume that because we have a spec tire rule in the SE for Spec Miata. It only allows Kumhos and Hankooks. The option you mention above has been excercised for both 2004 and 2005. We had it last year also, however it was decided by someone last year to allow the hoosiers using the national rule you mentioned as basis.

If they do it again, hoosier will be the tire to have and people will have to go buy a couple sets for the weekend but they won't be able to use them at any other races.

So in my opinion, I think it would be a terrible idea to allow hoosiers. It would put people like me who already have a garage full of toyos in the position of having to buy tires to be competitive. Tires are not cheap and I like to at least be able to use them at another race.

It would just increase costs period.

Greg Amy
09-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Well, on the plus side, it would only take one post to bring back the long threads from last year on this subject in both the IT and SM forums, saving us all a lot of time...

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by grega (edited September 14, 2004).]

chump
09-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by grega:
Well, on the plus side, it would only take one post to bring back the long threads from last year on this subject in both the IT and SM forums, saving us all a lot of time...

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by grega (edited September 14, 2004).]

Well apparently it's gonna be the same as last year. I just hear from Bob McIssac.

Here is his reply:
"Jason,

If the ARRC was a SEDIV only event, then we would probably use the SEDIV tire list (I assume that is what you are referring to). Since the ARRC is National in it's scope and there are other Divisions and Regions allowing the Hoosier & Hankook tire, the 2004 ARRC will run SM with the same tire list as in 2003:

Toyo Proxes RA-1
Hankook Ventus Z211
Kumho Victoracer V700
Hoosier SM

If you wish, you can post this reply on the SM site. (I figure you were gonna do it anyway <g>)

Bob"

I don't agree with the decision but I'm not gonna argue it. I did all that last year. It is more important to me that the apprived tire list is narrower for the regionals.

Jason

badal
09-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Last year Hoosiers were allowed because the event was held in the SeDiv, and they were supposed to be an approved 2004 SeDiv tire. Which they were not, but...

This year, it is still held in the SeDiv, but we will be running the CenDiv tire rule.

Save me a spot on the grassy knoll, Jason.

------------------
"Bad" Al Bell
ITC #3 Datsun 510
DC Region MARRS Series

lateapex911
09-15-2004, 03:34 AM
Let me get this straight...

Only one Div allows Hossier? (Not sure if that is correct...)

The race is not in that Div? But the rule will cause everyone BUT the guys who make the trip from CenDiv to but at least one set of tires?

And the tires in question are more expensive, and don't last as long?

So, the many will sacrifice for the few.

Whatever happened to "The needs of the may out weigh the needs of the few"?....or "majority rules?"

If that is the case, this is a dumb rule....and I hope I don't offend anyone if the following isn't the case...but it does make one think about conflicts of interest and such...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

planet6racing
09-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Oh great, here it goes again...

IIRC, the rules used last year were the proposed "National" ruleset as were planned to be put forth in the 2004 GCR.

My opinion is that the Atlanta region is planning to, instead of running under the SEDiv rules which are a subset of the "National" rules limiting tires and such, to just run the "National" rules to make it more fair for everyone (my words, not theirs).

And, seeing as how SM has become alphabet soup here in CenDiv (SM, SMT, SMT2, SSM, etc), I don't care what they run, just as long as they properly identify the class they are running on the side of their car and only the class they are running. I'm tired of having a Miata pass me and thinking "Oh, he's running SMT because that's what's on the side of the car" only to find out he's really running ITA (and, yes, I and others will be protesting at the CenDiv Fall Sprints).

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

1stGenBoy
09-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Bill,
I already have several checks made out for the protest fee. I too am sick and tired of the class letter issue. This was not a problem until transponders came along.
If you did not have the right class on your car three years ago T&S, would have had a coronary.

Bob

planet6racing
09-15-2004, 11:51 AM
I know you do, Bob. Shoot me an e-mail at the address below if you get a chance.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com