PDA

View Full Version : 240z set-up

terry
07-08-2005, 12:51 AM
I changed to the eastside. (heavier springs on front) Dropped 1/2 second with the car pushing and having to short shift due to a chattering clutch. If I reved above 62-6300 from 3rd to 4th gear I had to back off the throttle to stop the chattering. I also put aluminum sway bar mounts on the front sway bar. The car seems to be better under high speed braking and cornering. I plan on making the rear bar ajustable and making aluminum mounts for the rear bar. Thanks for the sujestions on set-ups. Terry

bobpink
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Perform a search under this topic using "240Z suspension" and you will find this topic:

ITS 240z setup

In it the all-knowing "katman" shares suspension set-up that got Chet Wittel up front with his old 240Z.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

Tom Donnelly
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
If I remember correctly, 6200 is above the max hp band on the 240z. I'll have to look again at my old dyno sheets. What ratio diff are you running? Also, I don't run a rear bar and I don't think Chet did either.

Tom

terry
07-08-2005, 07:00 PM
The last race was at Portland with the long straight. 3:7 welded rear was in the car.

kthomas
07-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:
If I remember correctly, 6200 is above the max hp band on the 240z.

Tom

Ah grasshopper, there's more to lap time than max hp rpm point.....what were you getting at?

------------------
katman

Parrish57
07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Ehm, strong is the force with Katman, it is.

Steve

SWSpiers
07-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Terry,
I used to hold the track record about a million years ago at Portland in an ITS 240Z. We used to run 3.9 gears and a limited slip. Portland turn 1 (especially) and other turns tend to be long and sweeping. A locked rear end will cause a lot of scrub. I don't know the current state of set up for those cars, but we'd run a stiff setup since the track was pretty smooth and flat.

Check with Jon Wilson and Joe Harlan out there. They will know all the hot setup parameters for that track.

Steve Spiers

terry
07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks Steve for your reply. Jon is running on soft springs with the heavier springs on the rear. Jon is still the person to beat at Portland. If you know of a 3:9 or a 3:7 limited slip please let me know

Joe Harlan
07-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Haha Thanks Steve, Terry just doesn't beleive me yet.... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

SWSpiers
07-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Neither do I. I was just trying to help out someone. Just kidding.

We also used to run stiff rear springs there. That same set up was used at Road Atlanta, Keith's home track, but didn't work as well. Portland and Road Atlanta are quite different. It seems to me that getting the car to rotate well at Portland would be a key to going quick. That same rotation at Road Atlanta, with the high speed not flat turns would have the opposite affect.

Terry - believe Joe. Or, maybe just try a stiff rear setup and see if you're faster.

Joe Harlan
07-31-2005, 10:26 PM
I still prefer a stiffer rear spring on the Z at most of our tracks out here. What I find is it depends on the driver and what rearend (ie LS or locker) as to what to do with the bar and shocks in the rear. I have some cars that run a bar and sime that don't.