PDA

View Full Version : Rain tires and setup for 240SX

DavidM
07-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Looks like it may be stormy in Savannah on Sunday. What size rain tires are you guys running? I have 225/45 Hoosiers on one set of rims and 215/(forget the aspect, may be 60) Toyos on another set. The Toyos may work as intermediates, but they look a little worn. They definitely won't work as full rains. So if I need to get some rains at the track what size is best? Is it better to go a little narrower (like the 215s) to keep from hydroplaning? Or stay at 225 and let the tread depth take care of hydroplaning? I was probably going to see if I could get a set of the Hoosier full wets or full tread Toyos.

Do you need to heat cycle rain tires? I don't think I'll be able to run them and then let them sit overnight. Best I'll be able to do is probably use them in practice and qualifying in the morning before the race.

What setup changes should I make? Bob kept the car pretty stiff so I would probably need to soften it up some. I've got a strut and sway bar up front and a sway bar in back. I believe I can switch settings on the shocks as well, but haven't messed with them yet. The springs are pretty stiff so I don't know if changing the shock settings would do a whole lot. I was probably looking at just loosening up the sway bars. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

David

Machines240
07-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Well i dont know about the rain tires at all but as far as suspension setup, if the shocks are adjustable, id soften them both, biasing the rear a lttle softer then front. And if the sways are adjustable, try softening the rear or tighten the front to gain some more rear wheel traction.
Thats all basics, i know there are more guys here that know tons more than me.

joeg
07-06-2005, 01:22 PM
You would not "Heat cycle" dirt stockers; the fresher the better and they are really only for heavy rain use.

For dirt stockers, the sizes are somewhat limited, so you may not have a choice.

If it is a damp/ light rain or drying track, any of the Toyos, Kumhos (with tread), etc. are just fine.

DavidM
07-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I was actually thinking about the new Hoosier rain tires. Looks like they have a V tread pattern to channel the water away better. I've been told about the dirt stockers for the wet, but I don't think there was a choice in the past.

Savannah may be getting the after affects of the hurricane on Sunday so it should be pretty wet if that is the case.

David

Tristan Smith
07-06-2005, 04:29 PM
David, If the rain is really coming down, disconnect the sway bars and run either Dirt Stockers or the new Hoosier Rain Tire. If the track is wet and/or only a light rain, a full tread tire like the toyo or Kumhos will do, and you may want to soften the sway bars a notch or two. I wouldn't start fooling with the shock settings at this point. If the weather conditions are changing you may just end up getting "lost" on the settings. You'll need to talk to the Hoosier guys as to whether the rains will need a heat cycle or not. Usually a full rain tire is really soft, and doesn't benefit from a heat cycle. Have fun!

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

slickS14
07-06-2005, 10:29 PM
I agree with Tristan, however I would only disconnect the rear bar and soften the front one position. The rain tires are ready right off the truck, they don't get that much heat in them on a wet track so plan tire pressures accordingly. Full Toyos for intermediate and the New Hoosiers look great for FULL wet. I'm in the ITS 240sx S14 that is black with silver flames so come find me at the track if you have any questions. I'm normally number 1 but will be number 13 this weekend because the Alabama region gave our number away due to the mail running 1 day behind. I guess that's what we pay for...anyways I'll be glad to help, I actually enjoy racing in the rain. Chris Newberry

DavidM
07-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still pretty damn new at this stuff and want to try and keep it as simple as possible. Hopefully it won't rain, but I want to prepare in case it does.

What size tires would you guys recommend? Stick with the 225s or go narrower? I haven't looked at the sizes for the hoosier rains so I may not have a choice there.

I'll stop by to say hey Chris even if I don't have questions. I haven't met a whole lot people yet.

Thanks.

David