PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter for 240SX

DavidM
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm going to do my first oil change on the 240 and am wondering what filter I should use. Are some better than others for racing? Just wondering what other people are using.

Also, I seem to have a leak around the o-ring for the #1 injector. Had some fuel sitting on top of the intake manifold when I went to start it up today. Doesn't seem to leak when it's hot, but after sitting for 2 months I guess it seeped some. Should I worry about it? Can I get just the o-ring from Nissan?

Thanks for any info. Still learning as I go.

David

Jason M
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
A couple of very good mechanics that I've worked with highly recomend using a Wix oil filter. Some other brands may be a re-labled Wix product. http://www.wixfilters.com/. FWIW, I've had a couple of injector leaks on my 12 vavle.(more like a slow weeping then a leak)I replaced the seals both times, and both times it did not solve the problem. It turns out that the injectors were bad. I installed new injectors and the leak went away, and the engine fired up sooner since I was not loosing residual fuel pressure.

Joe Harlan
05-03-2005, 12:34 AM
I use K&N oil filters cause they have a very heavy case.

Wix
Puralator
Or OE Nissan

jamsilvia
05-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
Wix
Puralator
Or OE Nissan
[/B]

I tend to shy away from the Nissan OE filters now. I've had a case of the seal blowing out on it. I thought it was just a single case - then about a month later a friend of mine had the same exact thing happen.
I don't know if Nissan had a bad batch of filters or what....but now I've been PureOne filters. The seal is made of much thicker rubber than the Nissan ones.

joe

Joe Harlan
05-03-2005, 09:06 AM
interesting I have never seen one fail and I have seen them at 100psi cold. Oh well again I am very happy with the K&N even though they are expensive.

handfulz28
05-03-2005, 10:58 AM
As for the injector leak, I'll second the idea of it being the injector and not the seal.
Haven't looked closely at a DOHC motor, but at least for the SOHC, you've got to do the same work to get to the seal(s), might as well put on a new injector(s) if you haven't already.
Michael

DavidM
05-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Thought I'd post a follow-up on the fuel injector. Looks like it was the o-ring where the injector plugs into the fuel rail. The one I pulled off didn't look too good. I went ahead and replaced the o-ring going to the head as well. Figured I'd try the o-rings first since it isn't that difficult of a job and I'm glad I did. Looks like the o-rings on the other injectors are hard as well so I may just replace 'em all.

I went with a Nissan oil filter by the way since I could get one locally and wanted to change the oil over the weekend. I'll keep and eye on it to make sure I don't get any leaks.

David

turboICE
05-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Jason M:
A couple of very good mechanics that I've worked with highly recomend using a Wix oil filter. Some other brands may be a re-labled Wix product. http://www.wixfilters.com/.For myself I use a remote mount and the 51515R Wix filter.

------------------
Ed.
240SX ITA