PDA

View Full Version : 240SX lsd recommedations?

jamsilvia
01-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations of running a particular LSD choice? I hear quaife is a great choice, but I don't have that kind of money.

Other options I've seen available are the stock VLSD, the NISMO (or similar) cheaper clutch type LSD, and the better Kaaz or Cusco clutch LSDs. I've also heard of a few using the J-spec S15 helical LSD internals.

Are there any serious drawbacks to running the better clutch LSDs? Right now, costwise, I'm looking at the Cusco 1.5 way. But I don't want to turn my car into an understeering beast with the rear wheels always locked together.

Thanks!
Joe Mac

Joe Harlan
01-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Tested them all and for the money the Nismo Unit still stands out. Forget the factory VLSD it won't last.

Machines240
01-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Well i have a Tomei Tech Trax Advance 2-way. Its not installed yet but i would like to hear you guys elaborate on why a 2-way will provoke understeer and if theyre are any pros to a 2-way. And even better, anyone who is running any LSD in their Nissan, please post specs and how it drives, thanks all

Joe Harlan
01-10-2005, 03:31 AM
I have no problem with a 2 way diff you just need to set it up to work. I have used about every type of LSD out for these cars. I use the Nismo unit and I spend a bunch of time recutting the ramps to make it lockup the way I want it to work.

Machines240
01-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that info Joe. i was always wondering if it was possible to re-ramp the lsd settings being that l dont know the ins and outs of LSD's.
From what ive gathered also is that as long as the initial lock up torque of the decel of a 2-way isnt too strong understeer is not a problem.
But your choice of cusco is a good choice.
Also look into the ATS Deftforce, supposed to be a very highend LSD..

BB Racer
01-10-2005, 04:15 PM
i don't know about the others, but thought i'd chime in with my experience with the quaife. Yes, it was a bit more money, but for a part that you should only have to buy once i'd seriously consider making sure you get the most appropriate one for you. I would personally have to highly recommend the quaife, i use it for road-racing in my s13 and it works perfectly. I didn't have to seriously alter my set-up or driving, but the increase in grip and accel. is tremendous. I run often at NHIS which has several tight corners and the dif alone was worth almost 2 sec. off a 1:20 lap. But unlike the clutch diff in the 350z (KAAZ) that is race the quaife is friendly under braking and turn it. Basically it is invisible except for when you really need it.

Anyway, i'm not a quaife rep so i'll stop there, but again i would consider what your doing and how important this part is before letting price be the main determinant.

Good luck.
Brandon

jamsilvia
04-12-2005, 11:28 AM
OK, I'm just replynig to this after I bought my LSD and actually used it.

In the end I was choosing between the NISMO LSD and the Cusco MZ. I went with the Cusco MZ only because it came in a 1.5 way vs a straight up 2-way (tho I guess I could just have cut the ramps for the NISMO one?)

Anyway, installation was easy. The NISMO unit would have been nicer for install, as they include bearings and seals. None with the Cusco unit. Side bearings are an extra $100 or so. It all went together pretty easy, as I didn't change any of the disks for lockup characteristics.

I used the LSD in Feb at VIR with NASA. I run the 4.636 rears, and the whole thing seems pretty darn sweet now! Piddling around the paddock sucks, but on track it's beautiful. Going over curbs (even through Oak Tree) is no problem. The balance of the car is still fantastic.

Everything went pretty good for the weekend, which included open track on Fri, 2 practice, 2 qual, and a sprint on Sat, and a 3.5 hour enduro on Sun.

The only downside seemed to be the diff getting too hot. The fluid started to heat up, expand, and some would slosh up out of the air vent. Boy, does that stuff stink.

Anyway, I was looking at diff cover options. What are people out there running on the S13's??

Thanks!
joe

------------------
#13 ITS S13 240SX

handfulz28
04-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Well technically you're limited to the stock diff cover.
Probably you're best bet is to run a hose from the vent and take it vertically as far as you can go. Chances are you've got that little pop-up thing so maybe you can cut that off and the hose may attach to what's left over.
Or, I've seen some diff covers with a good vent hose attachment instead of the pop-up thing. Don't know if that's reasonably changeable or not, and certainly don't quote me from a rules perspective.
Good luck,
Michael

its66
04-12-2005, 03:42 PM
What kind of fluid are you using? Since we can't add a cooler, invest in good fluid to protect your diff. Change it often. I used the Redline Heavy shockproof, but I had the Nismo diff. I changed it every two races, and never had any trouble.

Jim

Joe Harlan
04-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Shock proof is a good choice for that diff. Also what is the break away pressure set at. If it is to soft the clutches will be working OT and the fluid will get hot. Stock must be used I recommend a bottle in the trunk with a fitting in the bottom. Run a hose to it from the vent line. When the diff pushes fliud up and passes the bubble the fluid will run back down the line to the diff. Stinky fluid is kinda normal on these.

murphyd
04-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Joe, I'm interested in how the 4.6 ratio worked at VIR. I've been running the 4.08 and I'm running out of revs going into the uphill esses which requires me to use 5th gear through that section. However at the end of the backstretch I'm only hitting 57-5900 depending on the run out of Oak Tree. I have purchased one of the s15 helical lsd (trying to locate the side shafts) and the 4.36 gear set and also have a line on the 4.6. What type of revs were you hitting and where. Any type of info would help. Also what type of laptimes are you running for comparison. We're in the 2:19's with the stock viscous. Would love to talk with you more about these cars even though were running an s14.

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports
ITS 240sx
www.murphymotorsports.net

jamsilvia
04-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by murphyd:
Joe, I'm interested in how the 4.6 ratio worked at VIR. I've been running the 4.08 and I'm running out of revs going into the uphill esses which requires me to use 5th gear through that section. However at the end of the backstretch I'm only hitting 57-5900 depending on the run out of Oak Tree.

Well, you may run different, depending on what kind of power you are making. I have no motor work - just a cutoff exhaust and a Jim Wolfe ECU. I'm guessing around 145RWHP. With that, and 225x50x15's - so you may run higher revs with more HP or different tire sizes.
Anyway, I run the uphill esses in 5th gear - and even turn 10 is 5th gear (since you barely slow for it). But with the 4.6, it pulls pretty hard up through there. At the end of the back straight, I'm around 5700-5800 RPM in 5th gear at around the 2 braking marker. I shift into 5th right before the uphills start on the back straight.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> I have purchased one of the s15 helical lsd (trying to locate the side shafts)</font>

Try jspec.com - I've seen them have listings for them before. Or contact the guy and see if he can get you any.

and the 4.36 gear set and also have a line on the 4.6. What type of revs were you hitting and where. Any type of info would help. Also what type of laptimes are you running for comparison. We're in the 2:19's with the stock viscous. Would love to talk with you more about these cars even though were running an s14.

I wish I could run that fast!! Best laps are in the 2:22's. That's with the Cusco LSD and the 4.6 and Kuhmo V700's. I figure I wasn't off by too much when I ran with NASA in February. My fast lap was only off a few 10ths from a S14 running. Tho the fast Integras are in the 2:17's. But I guess I have a bit of catchup to do!
Letsee - I dunno revs around the track - I should have some video up in the next few weeks I can point you to when I get to it. It may show you revs around the track. Gearwise, though, T1 is definitly 3rd. T2,3,3a 4th. T4 3rd (tho with so much torque you can take it in 4th). Uphill esses 5th. Oak Tree in 3rd. Rollercoaster is 3rd to 4th. Hog pen is 4th, shifting right around pit-in.

Email me offline, if you want! [email protected]

joe

[This message has been edited by jamsilvia (edited April 25, 2005).]

jamsilvia
04-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by murphyd:
I have purchased one of the s15 elical lsd (trying to locate the side shafts)

Yep, jspec.com has them:
http://jspec.com/s15hlsdshafts.html