PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Greg...

Andy Bettencourt
04-18-2005, 10:48 AM
...to give a rundown on his ITA experience this weekend in ITA...

Good stuff.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

Racerlinn
04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Come on Greg, what's the good news from NHIS?
Are they "back, baby"?
------------------
Steve Linn
'92 ITA Sentra SE-R
www.indyscca.org (http://www.indyscca.org)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Racerlinn/SideSER2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Racerlinn (edited April 18, 2005).]

Greg Amy
04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Yep, Steve, they are back, baby, and with a vengeance (and thanks, Andy!)

Unfortunately, having been gone from work for several days, I'm a bit behind, but the gist is that the B13 Nissan has a very good chance of success in ITA. My experience this past weekend was very mixed, but extremely promising.

I had a test day Thursday at NHIS, and I was an on- and off-track instructor Friday and Saturday for the SCCA school (plus doing tech, beer, and steak, in that order. Busy!) Sunday was the one-day Regional, with a 10-minute prac/qual, 15-minute qual, and the 20-lap race. I was pole position after the first session, but keep in mind I'd had three days of track time and everyone else was green. Unfortunately, in the second session I bumped a curb on the first lap and pooched the front alignment, so I parked it for the session; I was gridded for the race third behind Richie Hunter in an Integra, Jeremy Sheppard in a 240SX, and two (or more!) Integras right behind me, including Rick Benazic in last year's ARRC winning Acura.

The start was totally awesome. I tucked up under the pole car and watched the starter like a hawk. Matt was on the headset giving me rolling flag calls ("hold, hold, hold, GO, GO, GO, GO!!!) and when that starter moved, so did I. By the time we hit T1 the #33 NX2000 was leading the pack by a car length or more (I hit that start SO PERFECT that several folks accused me - politely of course - of jumping the start. No way, baby, and I got the video to prove it!)

For the first four (or so?) laps I led the field through the course, with the NX showing its torque out of the corners and the Acuras rolling me in at the end of the straights. I think they were better through the corners but I had to run a very defensive line to keep them behind me, giving them a speed advantage. At one point I thought Richie and Rick might start tussling, giving me the opportunity to pull away, but that didn't happen.

Right around L3 I noted my oil and water temps were increasing very quickly. By L4 there was a noticeable softness in the engine and the car wasn't revving as well. Rick got me with a beautiful pass in T9: I had run defensively to hold him back then used my torque advantage up the hill; when I saw him lay back into 6 I knew right then I'd lost 9. Once he'd passed I couldn't keep up and Matt told me to lower my shift points 400 RPM; didn't help, the temps were over 230 by then. By L6 it was obvious I was in trouble so I laid down to finish the race.

During L11 it seemed I'd never make it up the hill and by the time I got to the front straight there was smoke and vibration; I shut it off down the front straight and coasted to a stop before T3 where I watched the rest of the race. Rick Benazic won with a comfortable lead and with Richie (I believe) quickly on trail.

We haven't even begun looking into it, but I suspect it was a combination of too much ignition timing and not enough octane; I bet we holed a piston. We're running a new experimental ECU based on dyno tests on 93 octane. I'm guessing that while it may work for short runs (it worked great for the test and school days), it doesn't work for extended 7000+ RPM runs. Fortunately, I shut the lump down before it tossed any major parts so the engine should be rebuildable.

Regardless, I AM PSYCHED!!! I proved the potential is there, now all we have to do is implement it.

Lots of folks came by to ask what happened and offer condolensces and congrats. One funny thing, someone came by (I'm sorry, I don't remember who) and commented how well such a "new car" is doing. Matt and I had to laugh; yeah, it may be a "new ITA car" but you can't imagine the development we've done over the last three years...all for fun, eh? - GA

joeg
04-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Greg--Sounds like detonation to me too Greg.

Racerlinn
04-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Wow. Was this the new engine or the old one?

Greg Amy
04-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Old.

7racing
04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Yes, nice start there Greg. I couldn't believe it when you went by the front row. I had no idea you had so much torque over my 240! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

Seriously, great start, you nailed it, apparently. I got dropped back to 5th after contact in turn 3. Worked my way back to 3rd and had a wheel bearing start making all sorts of bad noises. So I didn't try to keep up with/race the Acuras.

It's good to see another car up front. The Acura domination may be coming to a little bit of an end, which will be a welcomed sight.

Jeremy

7racing
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
BTW.....

http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/05/05nhis1/race/images/DSC_6526.jpg

Tom Blaney
04-19-2005, 12:35 PM
What Acura Domination! Try CRX Domination

Racerlinn
04-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Looks like you were successful on finding a used set of 14" Panasports? What size Hoosier did you squeeze on there? My wheels and tires look like bicycle tires compared to yours! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Greg Amy
04-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow, Jeremy, looks like you had a great start, too! Richie was left wondering, "What pole position...?" http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif Don't know how Rick worked his way up, but he was on my butt within a lap.

Steve, I did find some Panasports, got a used set of six from a guy near Summit Point. Came off a Honda, so I had to have them bored out to fit but the price was right. I'm running 225/50-14 Hoosiers. - GA

325racer
04-19-2005, 11:31 PM
You sure it was the Curb you hit and not the car you punted off the track during practice????????

I would have to say that is very poor racing form especially from someone that is supposed to be an Instructor.

Greg Amy
04-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Is this Matt Kogan again? What are you, stalking me on forums?

Matt, as I wrote to you in other forums, I don't think you want to go here, especially on a public forum.

Bottom line, I accepted responsibility for the incident. However, Linda Kogan, the driver (and no doubt a relative of yours) lost situational awareness of where I was when I was passing. I have a Miata left-front tire donut in the middle of my right-side door.

Like I said, I was the passing driver, and I accept responsibility, which is why as soon as I got back in the pits I jumped on my bike and immediately went to find her to apologize. I found Linda to be a very pleasant and reasonable person, and I find no value in taking this discussion any further into the dirt. If you want to argue about the details, I encourage you, Phil, and/or Linda to contact me directly at grega01*at*pobox*dot*com.

No, my alignment issues in the second session had nothing to do with this; last time I checked, my left front strut has no direct relationship with my right-side door. And, if it makes you any happier, my engine blew up in the race. Are we even now?

Greg Amy

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited April 22, 2005).]

Russell
04-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Congrats on a great showing Greg. It is very exciting to be competitve in class now. Sorry to hear about the engine, plese keep us posted on what exactly happened and weather or not some of us other SE-R guys/gals can get our hands on some of that experimental programing. ;P

Russell McMullan
CFR ITA SE-R #62

Greg Amy
04-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Double post.

[This message has been edited by GregAmy (edited April 20, 2005).]

7racing
04-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by GregAmy:
Wow, Jeremy, looks like you had a great start, too! Richie was left wondering, "What pole position...?" http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif Don't know how Rick worked his way up, but he was on my butt within a lap.

Rick's car has a lot of power and seems to accellerate better than most. He got by me into turn 3 and almost punted Richie in the process.

I had a good start, drag racing down the front straight. I took it a little too easy in the oval and let Richie by with Rick on his tail. I kind of lost some positions there. Oh well, I made them up (thanks to your engine woes....).

Tom-
Sorry, Acuras seem a little more present at NHIS the last year or two. Not many CRXs show up there or do well. That's why I call it an Acura domination.

Jeremy