PDA

View Full Version : 240xs year selection

java
01-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking for a 240sx to build for IT. It may start doing some SOLO stuff after a engine rebuild but will end up IT. I don't want to start a thread about it's better and cheaper to buy vs build. I agree it's better to buy vs build but it's not an option.

In my research it looks like a 89-90 can be pickup up < $1200 and 91-93 < 2K (depending on miles and still running).

My research has also found the 91-93 has more hp. Question is should I forget about even looking at the 89-90 and find > 90 models or can the first models be just as competive?

------------------
Kevin

'?? ? SCCA IT? #??
'00 F350 - Got the tow vehicle covered

erlrich
01-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Kevin -

Yes, the '91 and newer models do have more power as a result of Nissan going to a DOHC 16-valve engine versus the original SOHC 12-valve engine. But, because of this the SCCA saw fit to put the '91 and up cars in ITS, whereas the '89 - '90 cars get to run in ITA. The ITA cars are generally considered one of the 3 - 4 cars to have if you want to run up front (although it may arguably be the most expensive to get to the front - I don't know, haven't gotten there yet), whereas the ITS car hasn't enjoyed quite the success.

Joe Harlan
01-11-2005, 11:31 AM
The cost to build will be about the same on either car. The 89/90 fit well into ITA and have a proven track record. The early engine is strong and reliable. If I were looking at one of these for ITS I would probably look at a 91/94 S13 with the DOHC engine. I think it will take some development but I believe the cars will be competitive in the class. I would do the S13 because I believe they can be gotten down to weight much easier than the S14. I think the S14 has its own advantages but will be somewhat expensive to get down to weight. Also The coupe is the better package to start with.

Joe

Machines240
01-11-2005, 12:09 PM
well Joe pretty much nailed that one. if you want potential to be up front "sooner", go ITA 240. If you wanna challenge yourself and develop for ITS, id love to see 240 upfront in ITS.
This is actually what i doing with my S14. The cams suck compared to S13 DE's but i will make the best. And regardless of the probems people have getting the s14s weight down, im positive i will meet the minumum weight. it just takes a little extra money and work in certain places. like 9 lb 15x7 wheels is a start...not to mention weighing 145 lbs and easily drop 5 lbs http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

but good luck and enjoy

[This message has been edited by Machines240 (edited January 11, 2005).]

Joe Harlan
01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">to mention weighing 145 lbs and easily drop 5 lbs </font>

Note to Comp-BOD.....New rule: all drivers that weigh less than the 180lb average used to calculate min weights must physically carry a spare tire around their waist during any competition events... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

joeg
01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Great idea, Joe.

I support that rule!

java
01-11-2005, 10:34 PM
LOL, I weigh in at 176 - better stop by Micky D's before weight in, Hoosiers make me look fat.

Thanks for everyones input and knowledge, the help here is much appreciated.

With the above knowledge and me just getting started I'd say going the ITA route would fit me better. That's not saying I wouldn't start a ITS car a year or so down the road.

The coupe is harder to find but I am on a mission to find one (or two). Is the coupe better because of stiffness?

Out of curiosity what are the other ITA front runners.

------------------
Kevin

'?? ? SCCA IT? #??
'00 F350 - Got the tow vehicle covered

Joe Harlan
01-11-2005, 10:55 PM
What area are you from? The kids out here like the hatchys better so coupes seam to be easier to find. The nice thing is you can move to ITS with a new nose cone and engine.

CRX,I think the Neon is going to be fast out of the box. Others will have to chime in from here.

Hoosiers make you look fat......pretty funny.. You know your a true racer when you change girlfriends based on the aspect ratio of her butt..... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

java
01-12-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm just North of Atlanta, GA. AutoTrader is returning a majority of hatch's when doing a 200 mile search. Probably because the kid rag em out and want to dump them.

It's quite funny when you tell them, interior doesn't matter, I'm going to rip it out - that fake race seat wont work. Sun roof, damn - gotta weld that shut. As their mouth is now dropped you ask them if they have all their stock parts. Mouth closes and feelings now hurt.

The run ITA, learn to race, get the under side set up right then swap cones, drop in a DOHC from a 94 and run ITS is very cool. I never thought about being able to do that. Thanks for the more knowledge.

erlrich
01-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Kevin -

Joe forgot to mention the most important part needed for changing from an ITA to an ITS car: the VIN plates from an ITS car http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

As far as the differences between the hatch and coupe, there is probably some additional rigidity in the rear of the coupe (this can be fixed with the proper roll cage design - see the hot topic under the 'rules' section), but I believe the biggest difference it that the coupe starts off some 50+ lbs lighter.

The current front runners in ITA are petty much the 240sx, the CRXsi, the Integra, and some would add the Miata (are there really IT Miatas out there?). There are, however, several cars that have just been moved from ITS to ITA, most notably the Neon, Sentra SE-R, and Civic, so things may get a little more interesting next year.

------------------
Earl R
Aspiring 240SX pilot

bobpink
01-12-2005, 11:01 AM
(Former?) Atlanta Region SCCA member Geoff Churchill has a couple of ITA 240SXs for sale. One is an ex-Bob Stretch hatchback and the other might be a coupe that he started building into an ITA car, but has a ways to go yet. Think the coupe might already have a cage in it and a lot of the parts needed to finish it.

I don't have his contact info and someone on here might know how to get a hold of him. You could also call E. Radatz Motorsports at 770.926.6609 and talk to Eddie as Geoff posted a "for sale" sheet there.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

turboICE
01-24-2005, 11:57 AM
I bought the hatchback back in October.

The worst of building a car is done on the notchback - the cage. And it certainly would appear to have 99% of what is necessary to complete it. But you gotta put it together yourself.

Old Racer
01-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Kevin - Bob Pinkowski mentioned my name a couple of posts back. Bob - I'm still active in Atlanta Region, just not in Atlanta any more.

I think I have what you need. Due to a physical problem I'm no longer competitive. And if I can't be competitive, then I need to cut back my committment and just beg, borrow, buy, or steal an occasional ride. My hatchback is sold (and new owner's doing well with it), but I still have the coupe that was going to be a better car than the hatch. There's a lot of goodies with it, but there's lots of assembly required.

If you'll email me ([email protected]), I'll send you a pretty detailed description. Ther's a stated price with the description, but it's getting pretty negotiable. I believe it would be worth your while to make a trip to Greater Metropolitan Toccoa, GA to have a look at what I'm offering.

------------------
Racing is fun, cheap, and easy. I guess that's why everybody does it and wins every time out.