PDA

View Full Version : 240sx questions

alexands
01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm thinking of building a 240SX KA24DE for ITS in the near future. I have just finished a 944 Turbo for PCA, but now can't afford to race it (long story). I have a few questions that I'd like to get some input on. Any advice is appreciated:

1. Oil pan baffles - One of the things that has brought my Porsche racing days to an end is the fact that I spun a bearing and had to sink $8K into an engine. I've seen info on oil starvation problems with 240SX's. Is there a tuner or a manufacture that makes a properly baffled oil pan and pick-up tube skirt? How common is oil starvation?

2. Competitiveness - How does the KA24De stack up? I've considered an 2nd Gen RX-7 but know nothing about rotary engines. Is the 240SX competitive?

3. This is sorta off topic, but if I ever decide to move up in class (Production or GT) why is the KA24DE not supported? In GT I can put an L28 engine in a 240 (good for at least 275 HP), but I can't run a KA24DE? And EP? Why only three valve engines?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thanks for any and all input.

Scott

Joe Harlan
01-10-2005, 11:28 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I've seen info on oil starvation problems with 240SX's. Is there a tuner or a manufacture that makes a properly baffled oil pan and pick-up tube skirt? How common is oil starvation?</font>

I have 4 engines with 40+ hours still racing with stock pans and no accusumps. I am not sure where the idea these things starve for oil come from. They over heat oil if you don't use a cooler or and keep the oil clean.

I believe the car can be competitive in ITS with the 240z and the second gen. We have not had as much opportunity to develop the S car I did for Darin Jordan but every time it runs it makes big gains. As far as the DE being allowed in EP it will prolly never happen (their skeeered of it) look for a Prod class above. As far as GT I think the 4 valve could be there one day as an LP type motor. The only other thing I can tell you is the car is more fun to drive than a 944 and will out turn them any day.