PDA

View Full Version : Datsun 240z header

Tom Donnelly
11-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Well, the tow vehicle is out of the way so I'm looking at the engine. Some of the z's in the southeast are/were running a header from a company out in California (I think) that is supposed to be the best choice. Anyone know what it is? I've heard the company is out of business but I'm not sure. I also have someone (in drag racing) that can build a header, given decent specs. If you are out there, David (Spillman), did you buy Tony Roger's engine? He had one of those headers on that high hp motor of his. Any ideas from katman? I've read and re-read your dyno test results on the internet, just wondering if there is anything new.

Tom

dspillrat
11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:
Anyone know what it is? I've heard the company is out of business but I'm not sure. If you are out there, David (Spillman), did you buy Tony Roger's engine? Any ideas from katman?
Tom

HI Tom,
I understand a racer from aPharr , bought Tonys car complete in the spring...
I wound up with another "high HP" engine that ran great last year "2003", but due to trying to save a couple of bucks and letting a local shop freshen the engine...I lost 15 HP....new rings, fresh valve job, lose 15 HP...Crap...

[This message has been edited by dspillrat (edited November 30, 2004).]

kthomas
12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Hey Tom/David:

The most hp we ever got was with a custom stepped stainless job that cost waaay too much money. It's concept was based on a Tri-Y header I made for Chet. Sunbelt could run that down for you if Santa Claus is helping out. Clifford Research has one that gets close, and I had one built by Hank Young who does Nismo's header but to my specs in the same jig that also gets close. Email me off line and I'll send you some more info. The stuff on zhome.com is just the beginning...

------------------
katman

Tom Donnelly
12-01-2004, 01:51 PM
David,
What caused the HP loss?

Katman,
I have David's and Chet's e-mail. My e-mail is [email protected], send an e-mail so I have yours.
Thanks,
Tom

dspillrat
12-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:
David,
What caused the HP loss?

Wish I knew, I haven't had the time tear things apart to check em out...Low Compression/valves....Cylinder pressures 153-155 PSI less then 2% leak down,
david

Joe Harlan
12-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Look very close at the cam timing on this one before you pull it down. Even and low with that % of leak would tell me the cam is off 1 tooth.

12-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Either they screwed up timing the cam or they put incorrect thickness lash pads in and the valves are not seating correctly.

murphyd
12-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Contact Sam Neave @ LNA Enterprises (336)824-1605. He has spent a lot of time on a dyno building headers for Doug Piner's and Grayson Upchurch's EP 240z's He has come up with a header that is producing better numbers than any other I seen. Even Robello gave it their blessing at the runoffs. That says alot for something that is not of their design! Tell him I recommended you and maybe he'll cut me some slack later on!!

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports

murphyd
12-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Call Sam Neave @ LNA Enterprises (336)824-1605. He has spent a lot of dyno and track time on a design that is producing better numbers than anything else. Even Rebello gave their blessing to it at the runoffs. Tell him I sent you and maybe he'll cut me a break later on!

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports
ITS 240sx
www.murphymotorsports.net

Tom Donnelly
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the help.
I've got some leads to track down now.

I contacted Clifford Research and they said they don't make a header for a 240z anymore.
They focus on american vehicles mostly.

Tom

yozsi
12-09-2004, 01:19 AM
also check racetep.com they have z headers also. and are in california.