PDA

View Full Version : R200 LS Conversion

irondragon
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
I want to put an R200 LS(Viscous type) into my 280Z.
This diff needs the internally longer 300Z output shafts in order to get proper engagement with the LS unit.
Does anyone know of a standard part that will have the longer internal length plus provide the 4 bolt flange that my 280 halfshafts need to bolt onto??
Best Regards - Bill Miskoe

irondragon
11-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Well, here I am replying to my own posting.
Fact is, since asking for diff output shafts from a 1988 300ZX Turbo SS w/ Viscous LS, I have learned the following:-
-No other diff output shafts will interchange;
-Nissan's parts network has no sources for these shafts;
-The salvage yard network has no ability to even identify these shafts;
-in 1988 Nissan landed 1000 Turbo SS cars in the US. Plus 75 more in Canada. No doubt there are some of these in scrap yards somewhere - but what odds of finding one??
I am now pursuing the idea of machining the needed shafts from heavy truck axle shafts.
May seem unlikely, but this approach has much more chance of success than seeking out
original parts.
Stay tuned.
Best Regards - Bill Miskoe

x-ring
11-09-2004, 09:55 AM
There was a couple of messages last month on the IZCC mailing list on this subject. I think they're archived over at z31.com, and you might give Ross Corrigan at Modern Motorsports a call or check his website.

It seems like he was one of the ones involved in the 'conversation'.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

irondragon
11-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Replying to Ty:
Ross C and I have had some communication. I think neither of us understood how unlikely it would be to find the appropriate shafts at a salvage yard.
On the positive side, I talked with my machine shop guy today and he is confident that he can convert truck axle shafts to what I need.
Now I just need to prowl around some scrap yards and cob out a couple of axles - before it snows!
Bill Miskoe

11-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Bill, I don't know if you checked with these guys, but if you know the Nissan Part number you need, you might luck out and find something that will work.
http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/300zx3.htm

Not sure, but I don't think you can do what you are thinking using Nissan parts without modifications. Weren't they all using CV joints by 88?

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, I bought a brand new R-180 4:11 for a 200SX with plans to install in in my street 240 and now I'm having trouble finding the snap in output shafts for the diff. I bought a brand new ZX halfshaft from these guys thinking it would be a snap in, but wouldn't ya know it's a bolt in like the original Z diff. Oh well, got a brand new halfshaft for the race car project...unless I use the R-200 Torson I have.

Prince Makaha
11-10-2004, 06:01 AM
I think I remember seeing the snap-in type axles in a 1983 and 1984 maximas with R180 rears but I can't find my manual at this time.

They do litter the junk yards so it may be easy to find them if they do fit.

Joe Harlan
11-10-2004, 11:34 AM
So why not make the boltin plugs for the gears if the spline is the same?

On the Viscous diff I would stay away from it for racing unless you want to spend more money on it than a clutch type. They don't last long in a race car. The options for finding the correct outputs for your 280z are none as far as I remember. you may be able to have one custom made but that would be pricey. It would be easier to convert your car over to CV's and build custom length CV axels for it but I assume this is an IT car?

irondragon
11-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Joe:
I don't think I can convert a 280Z to the CV type shafts used in the 300ZX's. IT rules won't let me do that. Tempting idea however.
Bill Miskoe

11-13-2004, 01:13 AM
No, the CV joints would be illegal, darnit....
You might want to keep an eye out for a 180 diff with an LSD in it though, that would be legal, and save about 25lbs in the process.

Joe, I've been looking for either a Maxima or 200SX that can "donate" the output shafts I need. I really hate the thought of tearing into a brand new diff to change parts if I don't have to. Problem is, the junkyards around here have sent most if not all of their old Nissan's to the crusher and don't have many parts to pick through. I've got plenty of 240 180's here to pull parts from if it comes to that. I'm just trying to get a street car finished for the Z Car Convention in Syracuse next year since my SPO project won't be done by then so I can ride around the Glen in that.

Joe Harlan
11-13-2004, 02:27 AM
What year 200 or Maxima's?

11-13-2004, 02:46 AM
The 200SX's Non-Turbo's from 84-88 had the 180 diff, there were two different ratios available as far as I know. Not sure about the V-6 models, I've got one referrence that says they had the R-200 and one that say they didn't, but finding a V-6 is pretty rare anyways.
The Maxima is one I'm not too familiar with, I think all the models with the L series engines had the 180 rear, but I'm not sure about the exact years.

I've got a few people in CA looking at their local Pick-N-Pulls as well as one in Texas.
Not that I need it right now anyways, I don't even have an engine ready to put in the car. And I just bought a manifold to put triple SU's on the car and so I'm a little short on bucks anyways... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

Prince Makaha
11-13-2004, 11:04 AM
The 200sx turbos had R200s with 84 and 85 being 3.9 and the 86 being 4.1.........

still best to take off the cover to confirm.

seckerich
11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
You could also contact OPM Autosport as they have a race proven clutch type conversion for all the 240 - 280 diffs for your car. Should be able to do the similar Diffs as well.