PDA

View Full Version : Where to find spherical bearings for 240sx?

Machines240
11-12-2004, 12:56 AM
ive done searches and read posts and all I could find was a company calld wes-tek and found no site from them. can anyone help me on where to find these and if there is any major modification to install? thanks

-Chris

Banzai240
11-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Machines240:
ive done searches and read posts and all I could find was a company calld wes-tek and found no site from them. can anyone help me on where to find these and if there is any major modification to install? thanks

-Chris

Chris,

I have their number and contact info at work and will post tomorrow if no one beats me to it...

As for major work to install... basically, you have to remove the entire front and rear suspensions, send the pieces to then, along with about $1600.00 for the rear (not sure about the front) to get them to do the work... Then bolt them back together.

I hear it's a significant upgrade... Looking forward to trying it myself, though I think I'll be building the adapters myself... (just got the 20-ton press, and will be looking to get a lathe shortly... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif )

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

Machines240
11-12-2004, 02:07 AM
holy shit thats alot of money. i have also heard its quite an upgrade but is that much noticable than uraethane?
if yours goes well, if you would be cool with making/selling me adapters, that would be great!

erlrich
11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Chris - look about four posts down in the Nissan section, Darin had a post on this same question a couple of weeks ago. There is contact info for West Tek, and another company called SPL Parts. And wow, the price of going fast has gone up! I spoke with Tim at West Tek about a year and a half ago, and he quoted me a price of around $1,250 for both front and rear setups.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">i have also heard its quite an upgrade but is that much noticable than uraethane?</font>

According to Bob Stretch, who probably has the fastest ITA 240SX in the country, sphericals are the only way to go if you want to run up front.

Oh, and just a follow up on the previous thread regarding SPL Parts - they're having a year-end clearance on some of their parts. I just purchased a set of solid aluminum sub-frame bushings from them, and they were shipped the same day I ordered, came in 2 - 3 days later, and the quality of the parts looks excellent. Price was around $140. They also sell pre-assembled spherical bearings for around $150 a pair, which means you're still going to spend > $1K to do all sphericals from them.

Banzai240
11-12-2004, 11:54 AM
The price I mentioned may have been for both front and rear... I can't recall exactly...

Here's a great way to find out...

Westek, Inc.
2047 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66612
877-West-tek
785-235-6701

Talk to Tim...

I would think that Urethane would suffer from binding and drag, much the way that Rubber does. Bearings allow the pivots to truely pivot...

My car currently has the hard rubber NISMO stuff, and it works alright, but the spericals are definately high on the "To Do" list...

Good Luck!

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

Tristan Smith
11-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Using sphericals in the rear is the only way to get all of the slop out, and have the suspension go through the full range of motion without binding. Period. The front LCA's don't have to be spherical. I have delrin in there, and they work fine. But the TC rod bushing should be. I am one of the few people that have machined all of my own inserts for the car. It can be done if you have a decent quality lathe. But it will require many hours of labor. I recommend that you make one each of the two or three different size inserts that you need on the lathe, and then have a machine shop duplicate the pieces to your specs. You will still have to install everything but it should save you some time and money to do it this way.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

Machines240
11-12-2004, 11:20 PM
thank or all thehelp guys. i never realized SPL does it too until no. ill go to them cuz they are well-reputable.
since that subject is pretty much closd, what are youguys running for shock/spring/coilover assemblies? (that is if you want to say)

Banzai240
11-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by erlrich:
I spoke with Tim at West Tek about a year and a half ago, and he quoted me a price of around $1,250 for both front and rear setups.

I have to make a correction on something I posted... I found the e-mail quote I received from Wetek and erlrich is correct... The quote I received actually said it was $1200 for the whole car, or $850 for just the rear...

Sorry for the misquote of $1600... My bad...

$850 for the rear really isn't too bad... as it sounds like they REALLY know what they are doing with this...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

Machines240
11-16-2004, 12:44 AM
well i was thinking today about the full spherical setup today and the camber issue came up: how would you correct camber with sphericals (unless urethane eccentics are being used),especially when adjustable arms are illegal?

Tristan Smith
11-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I am not sure I understand your question, but the camber adjustment would be handled the same way. Sphericals won't affect that. If you lower the car too much you can get too much negative camber that the stock adjustment will not be able to correct, but that is a ride height, strut setup issue.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

handfulz28
11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Just about everybody uses camber plates...adjustible camber and caster.
I use Ground Control's, but the JDM stuff is an easy bolt-on.