PDA

View Full Version : weight reducting the 240sx S14...

Machines240
11-13-2004, 05:31 PM
well, ive compiled a list of weight reducting the 240. please list any extra things and if anything is illegal, please let me know. not quite sure if ill get to minimum weight but will try
well ive compiled a list weight reducting for my S14 that i will be doing over the winter:
REMOVE:
passenger seat/hardware
AC unit and hardware
Interior carpet/ panel/ console/ backseat
Airbags
power windows
emissions

LIGHTWEIGHT:
wheels
suspension coilovers
bucket seat/ harness
steering wheel
header/ exhaust (if possible)
fuel cell
radiator
battery
rotors (?)
sunroof
carbon hood (?)

lateapex911
11-13-2004, 06:20 PM
First, always remember the main rule:
If it doesn't say your can do it, then you can't.(IIDSYCDITYC) or something like that!

On the other hand, "if it says you can, then you bloddy well can!" (Geo, '01)

Power windows stay on pass side, can be reomoved on drivers side if you go with a "NASCAR" style bar that projects INTO the opened door cavity. (Highly recommended) It doesn't need to look like a NEXTEL Cup car, just one bar meets the requirement, but do more.

You can gut the AC, but not the heater core nor the heating system components. In other words, if your car was available from the factory without AC, then whatever was standard must remain. The only legit exception to that rule is if you need to notch something for your cross car tube, you may.

Changing to a fuel cell usually results in an addition of weight as the brackets and supports will add more than you think. Many factory tanks are well placed, and quite light. Think carefully about this one. (But no mods are allowed to it if you decide to keep it) if the tank is a known safety issue, replace it, otherwise, buy an Isaac or HAns with the $. Better value.

Rotors, flywheel, etc must be stock.

Battery must be close to stock, and stay in the stock location, but that rule was just rewritten, double check the exact wording.

Your sunroof may come out and be replaced by a panel the same thickness as the roof, OR you can bolt your existing sunroof in.
Carbon hood? I will make you happy...save your money! Do you want to replace it after every off at big $$$$?? The rules fortunately disallow it. Your only option in the body panel weight savings area is if certain years of your car (that are on the same ITCS spec line) use lighter components, (like a hood) then you may use that assembly. But you must use the entire assembly, no picking and choosing and creating something that never existed.

Radiator is free, as long as it resides in the stock location and bolts to the stock mounting points. And no getting a narrow, but thick radiator, using brackets with big holes and getting ram/cold air into the compartment. They closed the old loophole on that one.

Get the GCR, it's all spelled out...

Lots of guys strip the shell of undercoating. It can be good for 30 to maybe 50 pounds. Not a fun job though.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Machines240
11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks for the info! i read the GCR but i was unsure in some areas. thanks for clarifyng. ive been told its very hard to get the S14 to 2650 (around 2500 w/o driver)
anyone come close or acheive it??

Banzai240
11-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Machines240:
...ive been told its very hard to get the S14 to 2650 (around 2500 w/o driver)
anyone come close or acheive it??

I think it might depend on the year, but mine is a '95-'96 chassis that was upgraded during it's WC days to a '97-'98... I weight 220lbs, and I've taken just about every extra legal piece off and been over the thing with a fine-tooth-comb...

2752lbs with driver and about 1-gal of gas left in the tank...

I think it's going to take a very minimal cage, a full-on fuel cell installation, the lightest wheels you can find, and someone even wrote me to tell me they opted for the smaller 4-lug rotor non-abs assembly ('95-'96 only) to try to keep weight down.

It is my personal opinion, based on my experience, that it will not be possible to get to 2650lbs legally, but I'm going to keep working at it. I found another 10lbs or so that can be removed legally, and I may have a couple more areas that could use some attention, so we'll see how it works out...

All you can do is try!

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

Machines240
11-14-2004, 01:22 PM
well thank you darin for the help it may little easier for me being that I weigh 145 lbs and could still diet for less http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
But I am looking for the lowest weight possible which i think i may be able to do with a little extra attention and money.

i know volk te37's weight 11 lbs each (15x7)
and some aluminum bodied coilovers sure help.
And, if you say is corret, i have the lighter 4-lug base S14.
So ill keep posted as i go. thanks
-Chris

lateapex911
11-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Darin-

I have three magic words for you:

Carbon Fiber Exhaust

LOL...hey..it might be worth the 30 pounds you need...Too bad it's so low on the car. Kidding of course!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited November 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited November 14, 2004).]

Geo
11-14-2004, 02:04 PM
I don't think aluminum coilovers is a smart move. Have you seen the photos of the WRX that had them break in an autocross? The stresses are significantly higher in road racing. The couple of pounds you save can be found elsewhere much more safely (or is that much safer?).

Chances are the commonly available coilovers for the car won't be terribly good for road racing anyway.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Machines240
11-14-2004, 02:25 PM
hehe, carbon exhaust??? ill take 2...lol

wow, im surprised to hear that. never heard of any coilovers breaking before but i'll believe it.
But most importantly, it comes down to the manuafturer and quality. Endless/zeal's flagship coilover is built specifically for racing only an is extremely light-weight and guarantee they would never break. (not to mention they are almost $3000)
There is also Tein RA/RE which is the other, more affordable, model im looking into.
Both are known for years of racing experience in JGTC, rally, N1 endurance, ETC.
so we will see

[This message has been edited by Machines240 (edited November 14, 2004).]

Joe Harlan
11-14-2004, 02:55 PM
I believe if done properly the fuel cell will be a decent loss. The material in the truck is very heavy. The stock tank requires you run at least 3/4 full to start and I'll bet you finish with at least 6 gals of fuel. I don't think you will find one big magic chunk to remove but I do believe that careful planning and proper prep on the things you can do will allow these cars to get very close with a 200 lb driver.

Geo
11-14-2004, 03:43 PM
There is also Tein RA/RE which is the other, more affordable, model im looking into.
Both are known for years of racing experience in JGTC, rally, N1 endurance, ETC.
so we will see

Tiens are the ones that broke on the WRX.

I'm dubious of the JDM stuff.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Machines240
11-14-2004, 03:52 PM
so the teins snapped? well now i know what NOT to buy. Well then ill go with endless or cusco. Im positive they wont give any problems.
by the way, can you post the link to those broken coilovers?

Geo
11-14-2004, 05:10 PM
by the way, can you post the link to those broken coilovers?

Nope. Didn't save it. It was ugly though.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

Machines240
11-15-2004, 01:00 AM
If its not too much to ask from you guys, would you mind emailing, or posting some pics of your cars along with any specs you dont mind sharing? my email is [email protected]
thanks!