PDA

View Full Version : 240sx recommendations

turboICE
09-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Looking for recommendations on sources for a few things:

Remote oil filter (really need to know the size for the adapter more than source)

Looking for thoughts on race wheels not happy with the offsets of the 15" wheels on TR.

I chose to go the route of building so that I have done it rather than saving money and buying one built so there will be many questions over the next 6 months.

erlrich
09-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Nissan Motorsports has remote filter adapters for our cars, here: www.courtesyparts.com/nms/s13/s13_2.html (http://www.courtesyparts.com/nms/s13/s13_2.html) (be prepared to wait a while) - or for the mount you could go with something a little more generic like this from Coleman Racing: www.colemanracing.com/section/index.htp?id=1288 (http://www.colemanracing.com/section/index.htp?id=1288)

I've dealt with Coleman Racing several times, and have always been happy with their products and service.

As for the wheels, I recently bought a used set of K1s with I believe a 27mm offset - the original owner said he bought them from TR, but had to call to get the special offset.

Good luck

------------------
Earl R
Aspiring 240SX pilot

[This message has been edited by erlrich (edited September 09, 2004).]

timelapseracing
09-09-2004, 09:01 AM
You want to find a fairly short offset or plan on longer studs and spacers. About 20mm total offset is great - 25mm will work. I'm using 35mm offset wheels with long studs and a 15mm HR spacer, which works well too.

Summit had a universal permacool adapter with a number of different thread adapters - works well, and lets you use a generic Ford thread filter. There is no thermostat, but you don't really want the restriction in these cars - cool as much as you can all the time. The stack added about 1.5 inches and with a big HP1 filter still has about 2 inches to the inner fender wall.

turboICE
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the CR reference knew about the nismo one (the whole nismo line and courtesy already) but didn't think I should pay $215 for something that is available generically.

Thanx for the other input as well keep it coming.

TBreu007
09-10-2004, 02:04 AM
I have the Canton Mecca remote filter and I like it a lot. It's easy to mount and smaller than others with more engine protection. You'll definitely need an oil cooler too...anything less than a 16 row won't cut it if you race anywhere that gets hot.

I have some K1's from TR with the custom offset. I can't remember the offset, but it's about as low as they get...like +17 or something. They fit perfect with rolled fenders.

I also aquired some 16" Japanese Volk drift wheels specifically made for the 240sx (or Silvia) that have different offsets of like 27 and 30. Both barely clear the struts, and if you get them mixed up front to back, the fronts won't fit with the rear 30mm offset. They will get spacers when I run them.

turboICE
09-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Sounds like I need to call TR and find out about getting these low offset k1s. They don't list them at all for my car. But I see on other sites that 17mm is one of the available offsets. Did you roll the front and back fenders and did you leave in the front wheel well liners?

Yeah an oil cooler is definitely in the plans as well as probably a koyo radiator. Just want to make sure I get the right sized sandwich adapter.

TBreu007
09-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I rolled the front and back fenders as a precaution, and removed all wheel liners (for simplicity).

GT240sx
09-27-2004, 04:46 PM
The Kosei K1's are either a 15x7 or a 16x7.5 and since I have the S14 I am assuming that I am just out of luck on using the 16" Kosei wheels if I want to stay legal? Correct me if I am wrong but I think they only make the 5x114.3 bolt pattern in the 16" wheels or else I would use the 15's.

Any other lightweight affordable 16x7 wheels out there with the right offset?

Thanks,
Russell

erlrich
10-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Going back to the remote filter question, I was looking through an old Pegasus catalog this weekend and came across a spin-on adapter. Does anybody have any experience with these? If I may be so lazy, does anyone know off the top of your head what our stock filter thread size is?

Thanks
Earl

MMiskoe
10-07-2004, 09:22 PM
The 300zx ('84) & the NX1600 ('92) both use the same filter which has a 3/4-16 thread (standard 3/4" thread). I think this holds true back through the 280z so most likey it is the same for the 240sx. Check in the parts store if the filters are the same. I know the 300 is that size because I have one of the above mentioned spin on adaptors (w/ remote filter) and my NX shared the same filter.