PDA

View Full Version : Quick release steering wheel hub

Jumbo240z
07-20-2004, 12:34 PM
There seem to be a few types available.
1) A hub with a "push-button" type of release mechanism.
2) A Spring loaded "Push-the-steering-wheel-in-to-release" (?) type.
3) and I've read that there are "Pin-types" that apparently the pins fall out and get lost?
The price varies as much as $20-30 between the Push button type (costs less) and the Spring loaded version. To me, and if I understand the spring loaded version correctly, the Push button version is preferable since you have to depress a specific button to release... and it's cheaper.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm purchasing a new seat with rib supports and will need the extra room just to get into the car, but I don't want the steering wheel coming off unexpectantly.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jon

Jumbo240z
07-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Okay, forgive me for submiting the above post while the search was searching. There has been enough discussion on the topic already. It seems this isn't a bolt on deal and there's a hex vs splined issue to think about as well. Bummer, nothing's simple.

jon

Dick Elliott
07-20-2004, 12:55 PM
PEGASUS sell the best one I've ever seen. I've been useing / selling / installing them for over 10 years now with not one problem or gripe. They are spring loaded and very easy to use, and once they snap in to place, no way to come loose. If you have a 3/4" shaft, buy the 5/8" model and turn / grind the shaft down a little to get a good tight fit before welding. Theres nothing wrong with the unit. All are made to fit on to a 3/4" shaft, but your going to weld it where the threads are on the shaft, and that area is smaller than 3/4". Buy the 5/8" model.

Tristan Smith
07-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Jon, from my experience, the pull back ones with the many spines are the best. It is easier to get the steering wheel to line up correctly, then the five sided pentagram ones. When you adjust toe, it can sometimes slightly change angle of the steering wheel.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

Tristan Smith
07-20-2004, 02:10 PM
sorry double post

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited July 20, 2004).]

Jumbo240z
07-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Here's a bolt-on that looks like it's well built...

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/product.as...pe=Applications (http://www.nissport.com/catalog/product.asp?ProductCode=NS-1100Z&EquipmentType=Applications)

Thanks for the responses.

jon

Jumbo240z
07-23-2004, 02:17 PM
I went ahead and bought the QR above. Kinda pricey but it's splined, pull-back release, and took a total of 15 min to install. It was very well made/engineered. Plus, the customer service was exceptional.

Thanks all for the advice.

Jon