PDA

View Full Version : Best ka24e header?

bfrance
03-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Working with a realistic budget, (meaning no one-off, custom made pieces,) which readily available header for the sohc 240sx is the best, in terms of power improvement?

Thanks,

-Ben

bilracer
03-16-2004, 09:04 AM
I just finished a lot of dyno work over the winter which concentrated only on header and exhaust work. I found the 1 5/8" std. S&S header with the parallel merge collector to be hard to beat. We tried all types of steps and combinations but ended up coming right back to the 1 5/8" setup. 1 1/2 is definately too small and 1 3/4 in my opinion is too large (it slightly helps torque but kills overall HP). Exhaust lengths and steps also make slight diferences but minor.

slickS14
03-19-2004, 08:53 AM
What exhaust pipe size did you use after the header and how long did you run it out? Also, is that S&S header a tri-y or 4-1 design? Thanks for the intel if your willing to post it.

bfrance
03-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Bilracer,

Quick question: If I order an S&S header off of they're website, will I get the specs you are referring too, or do I need to specify/call them? Did you try the hotshot header as well? Just curious.

Thanks,

-Ben

its66
03-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Ben,
The merge collector is a option on S&S's header. If you catch them at the right time, they will even leave off the unnecessary emissions hook-ups. Call Lauren out there. Tell him what you are doing, he will get you set-up. He is pretty sharp guy.
Jim

bilracer
03-22-2004, 09:14 AM
We ran the 1 5/8 header with 4/1 parallel merge collector with their recomended (cone) in it - jim's right talk to them they are good. We ended up with a short exhaust length that runs out of the right side of the car with 2 1/2 inch pipe about 1/2 way to the muffler and then 2 3/4 out the rest of the way. I have been running a "street" pacesetter header for 3 years NOT the way to go we picked up approx. 6 peak h.p.
I did not try the hot shot but we made a home made tri -y set up 1 3/4 dia. It was o-k (much better that the pacesetter) but not quite as good as the s/s.
Hope this helps.

7racing
05-05-2004, 10:54 AM
What is the S/S website? I'm looking at changing my header (have a Bob Stretch designed one, but it was his test header and it is kind of beat up now - cracked, bent, etc).

Uh...found it. Google really does work (when you know what to search on).

[This message has been edited by 7racing (edited May 05, 2004).]