PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE 240sx Oil pan (again)

TBreu007
02-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Okay, finally found someone to make a oil pan for a reasonable amount. The price is dependant on the number needed, but should be in the $400-$500 range. These are TIG welded aluminum with billet aluminum rails with about a quart extra capacity and all the baffles and windage trays you could ever want. He could also put a bung in for oil temp. if you want it.
Please let me know if you're interested.

Now my sob story prompting me to look for better oiling solutions:

Even after adding a nice big oil cooler with good oil line routing, a 3 quart accusump and having the oil to the top of the fill line on the dipstick, I blew my first ultra-expensive "super duper" ITS motor after only two testing weekends. #4 rod snapped and made holes on both sides of the block. It didn't appear to be an oil related failure since the rod still spun freely on the crank and there was no sign of seizure, but almost all of the crank bearings did show signs of extreme wear...especially #1. The failure happened in the middle/exit of turn 1 at Sebring at 6000rpms in 4th gear, so it may have been somewhat oil related since you're pulling high G loads for a pretty long time there...who knows.
Make sure those KA's have good oiling everyone!

[This message has been edited by TBreu007 (edited March 17, 2004).]

its66
02-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Tim.
call me if you need anything?
Jim

timelapseracing
02-05-2004, 10:11 AM
The sumps for the dohc are the same as the sohc, yes? I would be interested in more info on this, and may be interested in a pan with a temperature bung. Let me know.

Thanks,
Jason.

1989 ITA 240sx

handfulz28
02-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Holy crap Tim. I don't like the sound of that. But I sure would like to see it...hehehe

Talk to me more about this pan, I'm definitely interested. I finally found somebody to try and work on getting the header to fit right.

Michael
"no longer ITA #09 cuz Tim stole it" I think?

erlrich
02-05-2004, 01:23 PM
That really stinks Tim, sorry to hear it.

May I ask if the rods were new?

------------------
Earl R
Aspiring 240SX pilot

TBreu007
02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Michael, yes I am #09...was that your number? Didn't know...I just put in a couple requests for permanent numbers. If you already have the graphics on your car, I can see about getting it changed since my vinyl hasn't been cut yet.

I'll take some pics. of the rod, block and some suspect bearing wear.

Earl, the rods were not new, but were *supposedly* magnafluxed, balanced, blueprinted, etc.

mazdagt3
02-08-2004, 02:14 PM
TBreu007 what's your e mail? let me know who's building these pans as i'm in the process of building two 240 sx's with the ka24de. [email protected].

anyone else out there having similiar problems? the part i'm most concerned with is the fact there was a 3 quart accusump. or do some of you out there think the failure was not oil related?

Joe Harlan
02-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Tim, what kind of revs are you turning this engine too?

I have been running a 12:1 DE with OE pans for a couple years now with out a accusump. I do have a cooler on the engine.
The stock rods will not take down shift over revs. I broke a rod when I first got this car and it was caused by over reving on the downshift. I would love to see pictures of the bearings you took out of this engine before you go putting another engine in the car. I have not had time to build any pans so I may have some interest in a couple of pans depending on who is building them. You can call me in the shop during the week if you want to chat about this.
503-650-9548

Joe

slickS14
03-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Has the oil pan order gone in or can one still be ordered at the "group rate"? Thanks

TBreu007
03-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Sent the stock pan out for him to copy the dimensions. I'll keep you posted about price/availability.

Tim