PDA

View Full Version : Help! building ITS 240sx

400ERACER
03-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Lots of questions -I just picked up a 91 240sx
to build into a its racer and I can not find that much info on existing 240sx racecars except here.
My questions:
1. available wheels in 15 x 7 what works best?
2. tires what size 225/45/15 ???
3. front air dams -
4. Rollcage -boltin or custom
anyone have specs to build one from scratch?
5. suspension -springs -shocks -camber plates
neg -camber # etc -
I do not have the funds to tear the engine down at this time so will leave stock -only has 75,000 origina miles on it.
any good performance chips or tweeks out there?
6. Brakes - go with slotted disc -what good pads are recommended?

Oh and I am racing in Wisconsin -Road America
and at Blackhawk farms in Illinois .
Racing in MIdwest council -not SCCA

Again thanks for any help
Sam
If you race a 240sx in ITA or ITS can you post some pictures of your cars or let me know web sights to view them

its66
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Welcome to our addiction.

I'll help where I can. Tim and Darrin might wnat to jump in also since this is a 16 valve car.

1. Wheels. Try the Kosei's from Tire Rack. Cheap and reasonably light. Another choice is the Team Dynamics. They can make them in the proper offset to eliminate the spacers, but you will have to wait a while to get them.
2. Tires are a loaded question. I liked the 225/45 Hoosiers. Several guys run the Toyos or Kuhmos.(225/50) (this is a whole thread in itself)
3 Nissan(or Nismo, or whatever) sells a decent front airdam which is very flexible. I cut mine for brake ducts. It will take a decent amount of abuse.
4 Rollcage..don't be cheap here. Find a good local shop and have them build you a custom cage. There still aren't alot of these being race, so each one is going to be custom.
5 suspension favorite brand of good race shock, I liked 550/350 for springs with no rear bar, but most are running softer springs than I was.
That car should have a real ugly top speed limiter. You will have to get rid of it. Jim Wolf is probably the best at breaking into the nissan ECU's
6 brakes. No slotted rotors in IT. They aren't legal I ran Hawk HT-10's with the non ABS sized calipers. When I switched to the larger ABS style calipers and rotors, I couldn't get the HT-10 and had to use the Hawk blues.

Hope this helps

Jim

p.s.There is more to building one of these than building a Honda or Acura. If you want to know more, drop a line to [email protected]. (remove the xxx)

(edited for brake content and contact info)

[This message has been edited by its66 (edited March 19, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by its66 (edited March 19, 2004).]

400ERACER
03-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks Jim - This helps out alot .
Sam

Tristan Smith
03-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Yeah, what Jim said.

Here are a few pics of the build up a few years back (dear god it's more like 4 years ago).
I have an ITA version, but much will be the same if you are building up a '91.

http://www.apexsystems.net/TRexRacing/240.htm

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56