PDA

View Full Version : 240Z exhaust setups

powerslide91
01-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey all,

I'm thinking on redoing my exhaust to try to drop some weight. Currently the car uses a 6 to 1 header. Then a 2.5" pipe with an ~18" glasspack along the driveshaft, then exiting at the right rear corner of the car. This system is very quiet.

Has anyone tried running a 3" pipe from the header, place a round (6" Dynomax bullet most likely) muffler along the driveshaft, and then using a turndown in front of the halfshafts? Seems like this would be the shortest (lightest). I'm not sure on the sound levels it would make or if the short length might effect power levels.

My other thought would be to run from the header with a 3" pipe, to a 6" round muffler along the driveshaft, then fab an oval tube that turns 60 degrees or so and runs under the driver seat to exit in front of the left rear wheel. In my case, that would point it away from the sound tech guys. A bit harder to fab, a bit heavier, but maybe quieter? Again not sure if the length would effect power.

I have chassis dyno results from the existing system, so I can do some comparison testing. I'm just looking for some ideas / thoughts before I order some tubing and kill a Saturday.

Thanks,
Jeff
'72 240Z #91

ITZ34
02-11-2004, 11:39 PM
I run a 3" pipe straight back under the diff without a muffler exiting in the middle . It meets sound control, and is easy to put on and off.

Haven't run dyno tests

DC