PDA

View Full Version : racing a 280zx for ITS

pirita2004
01-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi, i have a nissan 280zx with roll cage, fuel cell, roll cage, racing seat, 5 belts, toyo's RA1 with enkei 15x7 wheels and fire system.
I want to run the car in ITS but i need info about modifications in the engine to make the car run faster, also need info about brakes.
thanks in advance!!!!
Herman http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/confused.gif

rbt510
01-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Herman,
The engine has to be basically stock, besides the air cleaner, header and open exhaust (db limits apply). Brakes are also stock other than pads. You should concentrate on the making the suspension mods allowed. This will do the most for you. Buy a GCR if you don't already have one. Allowed Modifications are spelled out pretty clearly.(most of the time).
Also, there are shops that specialize in prepping Z-cars for IT that could get you on the right track. Where are you located?
FYI - The 15x7 wheels are not legal for ITS.

Look at the other thread started by Terry, who asked the same questions you had.

My advice, after building a car from a street car, buy a car with a logbook. You will have more fun and less work,and spend a lot less money getting on the track..... good luck.

[This message has been edited by rbt510 (edited January 13, 2004).]

x-ring
01-14-2004, 10:52 AM
About all you can do to the engine is port match the head to the intake and header.

Camber plates front and rear will help your tires wear and cornering speed. If you don't run sufficient negative camber you will cord the outside edge those RA-1's in a hurry.

You can pull the brake backing plates and add air ducts to help cool your brakes. A ZX has rear discs, doesn't it? Can't help you much there, I'm stuck with rear drums. Use good pads (I prefer Hawk Blue's) and the best brake fluid you can afford. Z brakes are notoriously week. Bleed (the brakes, I mean) frequently, every session isn't too often.

I'm not aware of a reasonably priced (<$250/each) rear strut for the 280ZX since Tokiko discontinued the adjustable Illumina (sp?) for the ZX. Come to think of it, I don't even know what you can get for the rear of a ZX.

Wheels are kind of a problem, other than Panasports there isn't much out there in 14x7 that doesn't weigh a ton. I understand that Koenig sometimes has a wheel called the Rewind in our size that’s reasonably light, but I don't know anyone who has used them on a race car so I don't know how suitable they are. I have one set of Enkei's in 14x7 and use Toyota Supra junkyard rims also; they’re heavy, but cheap and easy to find. OEM Nissan rims are only 6" wide.

BTW, if you want to unload those illegal wheels drop me a line (x-ring{at-sign}zcar{dot}com), I've been wanting a set for my street car.

Ty

Edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by x-ring (edited January 14, 2004).]