PDA

View Full Version : Tristan-240SX oil pan

handfulz28
10-22-2003, 12:28 PM
My email these days is [email protected] if you want to write directly. Only problem is I can't get to it reliably from my house, don't work in an office, so I have to find other places to log on; gives me an excuse to use my girlfriend's cable modem :-) FWIW, I can get to the forum from anywhere.
ANYWAYS....I talked to Design Products in Huntington Beach, CA; the guy's name is Don, but I only got to speak with a lady answering the phone. Apparently Don is busy working on World Challenge pans for people and wouldn't get to our 240 pans until December. We didn't get into specifics, but the price only came down to like $600 with maybe 5 pans; sounds like Don is really proud of his work...hehe
I used Tim for my suspension; is he thinking about doing oil pans?
I'm really not in a position to spend a ton of money on an oil pan, if I can spend half that on an Accusump that will at least protect the motor. But I'm open to suggestion and maybe I'll try some research on pan difference between 12- and 16-valve motors.
MIchael

Tristan Smith
10-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Michael,
Ok, keep me posted. I'll call up Tim some time this next week and have a chat with him. I think Bob Stretch had a pan built by Tim and if so, maybe he has already passed on the R&D cost to Bob. You can e-mail me directly at:

[email protected]

Thanks

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

mumbles027
10-29-2003, 12:40 AM
what moter is this for?
the ka24e or de?
am i reading that wrong? is that $600 for one pan or for the 6?

handfulz28
10-29-2003, 11:33 AM
The original discussion was about the KA24E and he wanted $800 for one pan.
But as you can see, there are both KA24E and DE cars that need pans.
And mumbles, forgive me if this was obvious to you, but we're talking a custom road-racing oil pan: crank scraper, windage tray, possibly "wings" for extra capacity, not just a factory OEM replacement.
Michael

mumbles027
10-29-2003, 11:44 AM
yeah i know but i am new so for at least a while i will sound stupid. and i will not take offence to any type of extra explanation.

erlrich
10-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Just curious guys - have you been seeing poblems with the stock pans, or is this just some added insurance? I haven't noticed any problems with oil starvation... but then, I'm still working on that whole 'check the gauges' thing...there are just so many more interesting things going on outside the car http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

Tristan Smith
10-29-2003, 06:43 PM
No I don't think there is a problem, the stock pans are baffled. Some guys have said they have a problem on long sweepers. But I haven't seen any evidence of that. Of course, my eyes are rarely on the oil gauge while I am pushing it to 10/10ths in a corner. I was looking for extra capacity for oil cooling.
And I called the other day our other source but was unable to get through. I have been a busy boy at work lately so haven't had time to follow up.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

mumbles027
10-30-2003, 09:54 PM
i have had problems. when i auto-x i get a valve tick. then 15 min down the road on the way home it goes away. but i might have more problems. 176,000 miles and still rocking

Tristan Smith
12-02-2003, 11:27 AM
After going to the ARRC, I noticed that Bob Stretch didn't have an enlarged oil pan. And, since no ones makes one, looks like we are on our own on this one. I will most likely end up doing mu own, at least as an experiment. I will keep you posted.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

ITA240
12-02-2003, 11:58 AM
I never really noticed a problem. I used both a gauge and an adjustable lo pressure light. The light was set at 25 PSI and has NEVER flickered while at speed on the track. I don't think there is a problem.

But, if you really want one...

If you don't run the lower engine compartment cover/belly pan thing, it should be pretty simple to make a couple of kick-outs to increase the oil capacity of the pan. Probably the easiest way would be to get a couple of used pans, cut one in half down the middle lengthwise. Then, cut out the sides of it and weld them onto the sides of the stock pan's sump. Use some decent sheet metal to make the tops of the extended sump on each side. I think Moroso or Milodon sells the trap doors for oil pans by themselves. Buy one for each side and install them where the stock pan meets the new kickouts. That will help control the oil flow during corners. This would easily add 2+ more quarts to the system. Just make sure you trust your welder. Any pinholes could be catastrophic. It would probably have to be done with the engine out of the car. I don't think you could just jack up the engine and "scoot" this oil pan in like you can with the stock one.

Jim

Tristan Smith
12-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Jim, you may be correct. I was looking at ways of keeping the oil temps a bit lower. The truth is my oils temps at their hottest are around 240 degrees (and that is on the hottest most humid days), and BEFORE is goes thru the cooler. So, to be honest they are propably right about where they should be assuming the cooler drops it 20 to 30 degrees. I may bag the project. I have the engine aprt on a rebuild right now, so it would be a convienant time to do it.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56