PDA

View Full Version : Tow hook ideas for 240Z

powerslide91
09-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Guys, working on redoing the front end on my 240Z. Anyone have any good suggestions for how to mount a front tow hook? Due to the spoiler and the rad core being so far back, not really seeing a clean way to get a good hook there. I would also like to use the hook to winch the car up onto the trailer. Just thought I would fish for ideas before I get crazy with the welder...

Thanks,
Jeff

dspillrat
09-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Jeff,
I've seen a couple of cars with a 2"-4"wide flexible tow strap wound up in bumper mount area that looks like will work for Z...you could always go with a 73 bumper/mount,if you don't mind the extra weight.
IMO the way "tow-hooks"section worded concerning being made strong,allows lots of interpertation in how and where bracing could be added to support weight of car through the hook...comments?

David

Originally posted by powerslide91:
Guys, working on redoing the front end on my 240Z. Anyone have any good suggestions for how to mount a front tow hook? Jeff

x-ring
09-20-2003, 11:31 PM
I couldn't come up with a good idea for a front tow eye so I ran a 1.5" nylon strap from the shipping tie down eye out through the air dam. Flapping around in the wind it's scuffed the paint on my dam a little, but not too bad.

The strap was a couple of bucks at REI, and an upholstry shop sewed it into a loop for me for $3

Ty

09-22-2003, 12:11 AM
What about a piece of bar stock mounted to the original tow hook mounting points and then a small loop or hook mounted in the center of that? That way it's not flapping in the breeze and it would be pretty close to clearing the top of the airdam.Maybe have to weld a small "L" channel on top of the bar to clear the airdam.... Make it secure like that, then, if you ever need a tow, the strap can't rub against the airdam or twist it out of shape.

Cruiserman
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
I have a U bracket like a muffler clamp piece that is mounted in place of the bolts attaching the bumper.