PDA

View Full Version : ITS 300zx

MMiskoe
04-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Anyone else running a first gen ('84-88) 300zx in ITS? I've got one, building another, looking for suggestions & sources of parts.

Thanks.

bobpink
04-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Here in the Southeast, Tom Horan owns the ITS 300ZX Grayson Upchurch, Jr. won the 1995 ARRC with. I will see about finding his e-mail address for you. You might also want to try www.z31.com (http://www.z31.com).

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

airpiraterob
04-18-2003, 03:25 PM
id like to hear comments about the 90-end N/A 300z v-6. as i recall its classes with something like a 3000lb. weight. is anyone running one developed in any way? any potential? and the big problems are what?

thanks

ITA240
04-18-2003, 03:39 PM
I don't know how to reach him, but Jim Muncie down here in the southeast has been running one for a while...

Anyone know how to reach him??

Jim

bobpink
04-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Back in the late 90s E. Radatz Motorsports attempted to get the late model 300ZX classified, but was told no because the car had too much "competition potential".

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

MMiskoe
04-18-2003, 11:20 PM
To answer the question about Jim Muncie, he has one, is trying to sell it. Don't know about how well he has done with it, but from his description it sounded like a pretty well put together car.

As far as what they are like after developed, I have an '84 that I bought with a fair amount of stuff done to it - suspension upgrades as allowed, NISMO LSD, big radiator, headers & straight exhaust. After working out some bugs, the car has been great. I am usually a couple of seconds off the pole, but always finish in the top ten, never started a race with less than 25 cars. This is a car that is running a junkyard motor and cheap tires. In 6 years of my wife & I running it, it has a total of 3 mechanical DNF's, it is bullet proof enough to stay on the trailer between events sometimes.

It is the second heaviest car in the class, only lighter than the newer 325's.

Prince Makaha
04-20-2003, 10:56 AM
I seem to remember that big brakes were available on the special edition 300zx from 1987 and 1988.

If you don't use the bigger brakes, you will never stand a chance of being competitive.

Also....there are a few non T-top cars around but most are 1984 and I doubt you can find a 1987 or 1988 without T-tops.

84300zxt
04-20-2003, 11:22 PM
I'm building an 84 300zx now. Can I run my stock turbo?
I have many, many parts, several cars, would like to collaborate. Kansas City area.

Joe Harlan
04-21-2003, 12:33 AM
Can I run my stock turbo?

Sorry no turbo's in ITS....We have a class in Oregon region for Turbo cars called ITE. You can download the rules for it at http://www.oregonscca.com Maybe you can get your region to use them if they don't already have a class for turbo cars.

Joe Harlan

ITSRX7
04-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Hey Matt,

Can't help you with parts but we can set you up on our scales for some corner weighting...Nick had one of those bad boys!

Drop me a line. We LOVE that red car...too bad it had some issues on the 12th. The silver car faster?

[email protected]

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

SpudZ
05-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Matt,
I added a link to your race car page in Zdriver.com . Thought the Z31 guys would like it and maybe try to build one up.

Here is the link.

http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?s...=&threadid=5856 (http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5856)

Get me some results and photos and I will post them as well.

Take care,
Mike
Zdriver.com

SpudZ
06-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Matt and others,
I just possted a write up and links to an in car video of a 240Z ITS car having it out with two 300ZX ITS cars at Texas Motor Speedway on Zdriver.com. The names of the two ZX drivers are in the write up thats located in the racing forum.

http://zdriver.com/forums/

Enjoy,
Mike
Zdriver.com

Allen Brown
06-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Last year I codrove in a short endurance race in a 85 300ZX. The car is quite well prepared, balanced well. The 300zx's IRS is so easy to drive on a track where curb hopping is required as it is here in Calgary. I actually caught myself laughing inside the car as I was curb hopping through the chicane...Saying to myself "I've never gone this fast through here"

Nice car, but you certainly know you are carrying a fair bit of weight.

------------------
Allen Brown
#36 IT-1
GT-3 in 2004
[email protected]

JeffYoung
06-05-2003, 06:39 PM
I have to say, that is some of the coolest in car video from IT racing I've seen. Very nice.

DLB
08-02-2003, 01:29 PM
I have run a 85 300zx for the last two years. I have got the car finishing in the top 10 at Atlanta. The handling is good with the back end being a pain to get correct. I have spent a lot of time getting the tires pointed the right way and ballancing it properly. The engine is strong down the straight and very torquie off the corners. When you get the ride height to 5" the camber will be out of control on both ends, you will have to be able to fabricate the pieces to fix, as there aren't any to buy. The cooling system and oil system are fine stock. The stock brakes are fine with good pads and SS lines. I like the car but 2875# is not realistic and the SCCA will not admit they made a mistake when they originally classified the car. Letting the BMW 325 twin cams in the class has killed it for me. If they are legal let me run a Z32 -seems fair to me. If you have any questions give me a call. I may have a lot of parts for sale as I took a hit in the front and I dont think it is repairable.

MMiskoe
08-05-2003, 09:12 PM
DLB - sorry to hear about your hit. I want to talk to you about parts you made for the rear end. I understand what needs to be done, just never had the time to do the work, always knew it would be a custom (ie hand made by me) item.

email me at home if you would - [email protected]

Thanks
Matt