PDA

View Full Version : LSD's

BB Racer
07-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone. After the last race i finally decided that it is definetely worth buying an LSD. I am however on a budget, and anything i spend here means less track time this year. What i'm wondering is; is the quaife definetely worth it or are the other alternatives ok. There is a KAAZ diff for 850, or i've even heard of something called the phantom grip for 300 or less. Anyone with any experience or knowledge about the differences on the track?

joeg
07-17-2003, 10:17 AM
You will be disappointed with anything short of a Quaife.

Tristan Smith
07-17-2003, 10:49 AM
I would stay away from the phantom grip. I know some people swear by them, buy I have also heard that they will eventually break your diff. The KAAZ will work as well as a Quaife, as well as the Nismo clutch type LSD. The downfall of the clutch type lsd's is that eventually the will "wear out" and need a rebuild, where as the Quafe, or torsen type lsd will have a longer life. I have raced with both types and there isn't any real difference on the track. But I must admit the torsen type helped me drive out of a gravel trap, which I am not sure a clutch type would have. You can also weld up your diff, but that would be a last resort, or short term fix in my opinion.

------------------
Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

crs240sx
07-18-2003, 12:18 PM
I welded the diff in my 240sx. This was by far the best modification I have made to the car for any money and the best part is that it was free and easy. I willl admit to having no experience with a proper LSD unit but lots with an open diff. Buying something for $800US was not an option for me.

Once you weld it you can not change your mind though. So have a spare around if you want to experiment.