PDA

View Full Version : which year 240sx best for ITS

dspillrat
07-01-2003, 10:21 PM
Just wondering...What year is "best" for ITS. Could possibly an earlier A car be converted? Sounds like the The 944-S wil have a few "conversions"...
I have a 240Z that is somewhat competitive in the right hands,but I will most likely refrain from ruining another good body when the next bad off track adventure comes along.

D Murphy,you out there?

david

Joe Harlan
07-02-2003, 12:18 AM
David, If I were to start from scratch on a ITS 240sx I would probably go with the 91-93 model years. The 91 had the better factory cam profile and the S13's I think could end up under weight and ballast is always a good thing. The down side to the early car is it was never made with the 16" wheel option which I see as a benefit. As far as update back date stuff the early car was an S13 and the late is an S14 so I don't think you could make the stretch between them to swap key parts....(this doesn't mean somebody won't try though)

Joe Harlan

TBreu007
07-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Joe, I have to agree with you on building the early S13 for ITS because of the early cams and weight. My early S13 is finished except for painting. Both the results on the power and weight look very good for the car in ITS.

Doesn't the GCR say the 240 in ITS can have 15's or 16's no matter whether it is a S13 or S14?

I'm sticking with 15's for now to keep my CG low without really screwing up suspension geometry, but I will definitely be doing some testing on the 16's in the near future.

ITA240
07-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Tim,
I have some of this beautiful purple left over.

call me, I'll tell you about the driver I ended up getting..

Joe Harlan
07-03-2003, 12:29 AM
You are correct the s13 did get listed with 16" wheels. I have an S14 that I run in a class called RS so it is hard for me to tell you which is actually going to be a better car. I think the 96-98 may get some real gains in the ECU the early car won't but the longer duration on the early cam still tell the engine builder in me that its a better way to go.

murphyd
07-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Dave, Please tell me you haven't bent my Z parts again!! Tried to find you at VIR in May but no luck. Send me your email as I can't seem to find it. As for the 240sx, most of what you are hearing hear seems to be true. I chose the s14 (1995 and up) for a couple of reasons. The newer bodies seem to be more aerodynamic, no moving headlights up front removes a little nose weight (don't no if its significant or not). Except for the 91 with the "good" cams, basically the same engine. How much difference those good cams make, I don't know. I would like to see dyno results from both in IT trim, but you know about my budget. I'm lucky to have one engine in IT trim!! The beauty to these cars is the suspension. When set up properly, including sperical bearings, it works wonderfully! The downside right now is that there is very little information available as to what works. Spring rates , shock setups, headers, exhaust, ecu, etc, etc, etc... As for weight, at VIR in March with me (170lbs) and about 4 gallons of fuel in the car it weighed in at 2671. Minimum is 2650. I haven't done anything special to my car to reduce weight so I think that may be a mute point. The guys here have helped alot and I've talked to Joe on the phone and through this forum and am beginning to try and build a data base to work with. But again it would be nice to have some money to throw at the car and see what the results would be. At Charlotte a couple of weekends ago another s14 showed up (besides ours). It was well prepared and ran very strong! Top 3 in SARRC and ECR against 2 strong Mazdas (Kent and Jeff in one and Kevin Busler in a Speedsource built car). He ran, passed and finished right with them!! It was a great race! I feel beyond a shadow of a doubt the the sx can be competitive with and beat the Z's and RX7's. How the car would fare against top BMW's and Porches I don't know? The BMW is the car to have when it is set up right and driven correctly at certain tracks. R. Kollar was nice enough to send me a video of he and John Williams and Jeff Hill in a dogfight at Barber in which John's Z prevailed, just goes to show you that the big advantage is what is sitting in the seat. Unfortunately what is sitting in mine "stinks"! Talk to me brother!!

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports

TBreu007
07-03-2003, 02:52 PM
From what I've seen from endless browsing of various 240sx street ricer...uh, I mean racer boards, the S13's with the early cams are making around 160-170rwhp with Intake, header, exhaust, pulleys and Jim Wolf ECU. The S14's are lucky to see 150-160rwhp with those mods. It's hard to believe it's just the little difference in the cams making the difference, but I'm sure it helps. The early cams are in my S13 http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jim, my cell phone took an unfortunate swan dive into salt water while I was anebriated one night (so I'm told). I lost all my numbers. Give me a call, or shoot me your number again.

Tim
(954)917-2343

dspillrat
07-03-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by murphyd:
Dave, Please tell me you haven't bent my Z parts again!!
--------------------------------
Naw,
Aihn't broke nuttin yet....but give me time.Just fishing around some for ideas. My 16 year old not happy with his 78 Z.He's Looking for the more modern look.. ala 240sx
Didn't realize that they reside on 2 spec lines in GCR...I do know there's gotta be pretty good HP to be found in the 240sx engines,cause I've found myself on several occasions,barely pulling away from Stretch at Road Atlanta,and he's in a A car!

Tried to find you at VIR in May but noluck.
---------------------------
I only ran on Saturday..Had a good car,good start only to get caught up on 3rd place Bimmer,right before it Blowed up!....then trapped behind Underwoods rockett til last lap,when clutch lost friction material,,,but nothing bent!!

Talk to me brother!!
Shoot me a [email protected]

[This message has been edited by dspillrat (edited July 03, 2003).]