PDA

View Full Version : 240SX clutches and pressure plates

handfulz28
06-06-2003, 09:21 AM
Is anybody using one of those 4- or 6-puck clutch disks with an unsprung hub? Are they even legal? Are they worth it?
Don't have my GCR, how "open" are these parts?
Thanks,
Michael

erlrich
06-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Michael - as long as they're the same diameter as stock, clutches are open. Flywheels must be stock.

I too am curious as to what others are using. I know the 4 and 6 puck disks have a harsher engagement, not sure whether the extra load on the drivetrain is worth whatever gains you would realize over a good quality 'regular' clutch. I know Tristan promised us a report on his Zoom clutch as soon as he had a few races on it.

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

handfulz28
06-06-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm not that worried about harsh engagement. Have you seen that rubber donut thing in our driveline?
It would take some getting used to when rolling from a stop I'd expect.
Michael

ITA240
06-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Hey guys,
Mine is a puck design but it DOES have a spring center. Diaphragm style pressure plate. I'll have to get you the brands after I get home. (the pressure plate and the disc are different brands). ZERO clutch trouble in almost 3 years. It is a little grabby at engagement, bu tnot terrible.

Jim

handfulz28
06-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey Jim, is there a noticable difference in weight between puck and solid?
How 'bout the PP-can we drill holes or otherwise reduce rotating mass?

mco

Tristan Smith
06-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Hey Guys, so far the ZOOM clutch has worked fine. I have had no problems, and it operates just like a stock clutch. I was chatting ??last year?? with Ken Mersereau and Bob Stretch, both 240sx guys, about clutches. They both had tried all those super-duper racing clutches out there and weren't anymore impressed with the performance, or longevity of them over a stock clutch. Talking about lighter clutches seems kinda a waste of time to me, since we still have the heavy pressure plates, and slow turning motors to contend with. But I am propably just not enlightened on the benefits. But after the test day I did yesterday, it's going to take far more than a better clutch to make me fast again. I have driven very little in the last year, and it really showed in my times. There is no substitute for seat time. I have a feeling the rest of this season is going to be an exercise in humility.

Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafes
ITA Nissan 240sx #56