PDA

View Full Version : 240Z Caster setting

ITS_Racer1
05-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Now that I have spherical bearings on my lower control arms, I can start to add caster to my 240Z.

Any thoughts on an optimal setting to start out with?

Thanks, Todd

kthomas
05-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Fugetaboutit. With spherical front control arm bushings you'll have enough to worry about just to get enough camber in the front. Caster at this level has very little to do with the total grip. Leave it stock.

Here's the keys to handling with a 240Z: Properly managed Hoosiers, shocks, front to rear balance controlled with spring not big sway bars, shocks, the right camber, shocks, driver training with DAS, bump travel, and shocks. Then there's the key to lap times: getting on the gas pedal earlier than anybody else because of the aforementioned handling key. Oh, and the gas pedal should be connected to a Sunbelt engine.

------------------
katman

Tom Donnelly
05-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Katman,

Don't forget properly vented brakes. Got to get it to stop consistently too. Do all your braking in a straght line. And leave your right foot down once it moves off the brake pedal.

Tom

kthomas
05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Yeah, after Mr. Panoz screwed up Road A, brakes became a HUGE lap time issue for the 240Z's (well maybe not lap time so much as finishing, period).

------------------
katman

ITS_Racer1
05-21-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the info.

Curious as to why spherical bushings will make getting the necessary camber difficult. These bushings are captured by the stock control arm, and provide the same mounting geometry ( just more degrees of freedom). I still have the camber plates to adjust.

Agree on the brakes. I used to wonder why we bothered hooking up the rear drums until I discovered carbotech shoes.

You also say a Sunbelt motor is necessary. Are you discounting Rebello? Seems like
they both can build 195+ HP legal engines.

Regards,
Todd

kthomas
05-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ITS_Racer1:
Thanks for the info.

Curious as to why spherical bushings will make getting the necessary camber difficult. These bushings are captured by the stock control arm, and provide the same mounting geometry ( just more degrees of freedom). I still have the camber plates to adjust.

Agree on the brakes. I used to wonder why we bothered hooking up the rear drums until I discovered carbotech shoes.

You also say a Sunbelt motor is necessary. Are you discounting Rebello? Seems like
they both can build 195+ HP legal engines.

Regards,
Todd

As much as I hate the old Kontrolle style offset camber bushings in the front of a Z, they did give you another degree of camber. The spherical bearings are centered in the control arm so you lose that opportunity. We've had some cars with the sphericals we couldn't get enough camber (up to 3.5 neg) with even with camber plates at the top.

As for Rebello, well, let's just say it's the difference between west coast 195hp and east coast 195hp.

------------------
katman