PDA

View Full Version : ITA 240sx Hydraulic lifters

crs240sx
04-28-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm about to re-install a head that I had freshened up. It had previously been sitting, disasembled for years.

I soaked the lifters in clean oil for a week or so but some do not want to move and most do not moved smoothly. Some move freely, about 1/4 inch and push back out on their own when uoi push them in.

What should I expect, and should they all be the same?

ITA240
04-28-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm guessing that when you soaked the lifters, you had them on their side. That will help the oil get in there.

I would start the engine, monitor oil pressure, and then give the lifter ten minutes or so to quiet down. You can bet that some will still be noisy when you first fire it. IF they haven't all quieted down in ten or so minutes, pull the valve cover and just puch down on the rockers at the valve end. You will feel the differnece and know which ones are the problems(if any).

Jim

Joe Harlan
04-28-2003, 02:13 PM
These things can take up to a half hour to get totally quite. If you cleaned them and soaked them they will still be a little noisy for a bit. The factory manual gives a good run down on what to look for.

Geo
04-30-2003, 01:42 AM
I have to admit that I don't know the KA24, but if the lifters are anything like the SR20 lifters they can and should be manually bled before installation.

If they are not similar.....

Nevermind. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

crs240sx
04-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Can you take them apart to clean them? do you just pull the insert out?

Is it harmful to let the car run while they are tapping?

erlrich
05-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by crs240sx:
Can you take them apart to clean them? do you just pull the insert out?

Is it harmful to let the car run while they are tapping?

The FSM specifically says not to disassemble the lifters. It also says that if there is more than 1mm of free movement there may be air in the lifter, which can be bled off by running the engine at 1,000 no-load rpm for about 20 minutes (kind of like what Jim said).

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

crs240sx
05-01-2003, 09:04 AM
Most of mine move freely and definitly move more than 1mm so I guess they have air in them. Hopefully they will work themselves out on the car.

Some however, do not move at all. Ususally I can push a wire in the oil passage and push the lifter out a bit but a few just won't move.

Will it hurt anything to run the car this way for 20mintes to try to let it work itself out?

Worst case, I can swap out the ones from the motor that is in the car now. It taps everyonce in a while while driving but usually clears itself up.

Thanks a lot for the help so far!
Corey

ITA240
05-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Corey,
It shouldn't hurt a thing to let it run at 800-1200 rpm for 20 to thirty minutes as long as it isn't under load...no driving it...just let it idle (if you have good oil pressure at idle)....

I just pull mine off idle so the oil pressure is up to 60+ psi and let it run like that. IF that extra oil pressure for 20 to thirty minutes doesn't quite it down, then you need to replace some of the lifters. At that point, if it is still noisy, pull the valve cover and push down on each of the rockers at the valve end. any that move excessively now need to be replaced.

email directly if you need to..

Jim
[email protected]

Tristan Smith
05-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey Jim, I see your 240sx is for sale. What's up? Have you lost the "faith"?
I am finally back from Iraq/Kuwait, so hopefully I will get the final tweaks done to the car and get it out racing soon. Did you know there is a Buffalo's Southwest Cafe in Kuwait City? At least while I was gone I could say I was on a promotional tour for Buffalo's. HA

Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

ITA240
05-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Tristan..

Welcome back!!!

It really hasn't been "FOR SALE" in a while, although now might be the time after winning the Daytona ECR last weekend, LOL. ( I guess saying that "I could be persuaded" would sum it up best)

Jim

dpc
05-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Jim it looks like all of the work on timing has paid off. nice job, and thanks for the help. dave