PDA

View Full Version : Quaife

roberto
01-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Anyone know of a good source for Quaifes at a good price? Burned out my stocker VLSD and it's time for a new one.

Rob

bilracer
01-31-2003, 09:40 AM
I got mine from Craig at Taylor Race engineering, I believe in Texas.
I have a viscous that I took out, still working fine I'll almost give someone if interested.

------------------

murphyd
01-31-2003, 11:49 AM
What problems did you guys have with the Viscous unit? I have a brand new one I plan on using in an ITS 240sx and was wondering what to expect.

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports

erlrich
01-31-2003, 01:08 PM
While we're on the subject - does anyone here have enough experience with both the Quaife and Nissan LSDs (clutch-type Nissan) to comment on the differences in performance, if any? If memory serves me, I've seen the Nissan LSD as low as $700 recently, which is about $400 less than the Quaife.

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

bilracer
01-31-2003, 02:53 PM
I had good luck with the lsd, however it was not consistant. At times it acted like an open differential when it should not and at other times it seemed to be "locked" and make the car push. With the quaife, the car handles much more consistantly. Believe me I understand the problem with the quaife $$$!! and I don't think you will find any "deals", but I decided to go for it, and so far I'm glad I did. I never had one , but the nissan clutch type lsd is supposedly very good, but the clutches will have to be serviced regularly whereas the quaife is supposed to last much longer - at least thats what I was told.

Originally posted by erlrich:
While we're on the subject - does anyone here have enough experience with both the Quaife and Nissan LSDs (clutch-type Nissan) to comment on the differences in performance, if any? If memory serves me, I've seen the Nissan LSD as low as $700 recently, which is about $400 less than the Quaife.

TBreu007
01-31-2003, 03:14 PM
I just bought a Quaife from our lovely sponsor in the banner above...Bildon Motorsports. (hoping for a kick-back http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif)

edit spelling

[This message has been edited by TBreu007 (edited January 31, 2003).]

roberto
01-31-2003, 04:26 PM
The problem with the stocker VLSD is that, like all LSDs it builds up heat over the duration of a race. Now with a torsen type diff your worry is premature wearing of the gears but with the factory diff a secondary issue is that when you overheat the diff fluid it will in turn lead to overheating of the silicone fluid in the diff. A couple heat cycles too hot and the silicone losses its effectiveness and you now have a very expensive open diff.

Another criticism of the VLSDs is that they are reactioary to axle speed differences whereas a the torsen isn't. An explanation is that in the VLSD fluid needs a sufficient difference in axle speed to thicken up (and that can vary with the temperature and age of the fluid) before it will grab and lock up the axles. A torsen is always compensating as it is a mechanical system and you will never get that inconsistancy.

As I've learned the hard way.. "racing ain't cheap"... "you gotta pay to play"... and lastly "you get what you pay for"... ergo save your cash and get a diff designed for what you intend to use it for. Vlsds are nice for the street but don't take a beating too well.

HTH,

Rob

roberto
01-31-2003, 04:31 PM
For those of you who Do have the quaife can you tell me what it took to install them? I hope to install it into a 96 240sx and I've been told that the Diff requires bolt on axle flanges versus the standard clip on ones. Where di you guys source this part and how much were they? Secondly since you replaced the flanges did you need to go with a new axle? Expensive project =P

On the same note, I'd second the opinion above and ask if anyone has any input of the clutch pack Nissan diff. I know I'd like to stay away from them due to the nasty chattering you can get from them but I do dig user serviceability and reliability, and if there is less fuss and muss in getting the thing in and working it might be worth it.

Rob

[This message has been edited by roberto (edited January 31, 2003).]

handfulz28
01-31-2003, 10:39 PM
I've got a Quaife in my ITA 240. I started with an open diff, so I can't really compare. But from what I've read, I think the Nissan LSD (clutch-type) works just fine. The service parts are readily available and not that expensive. And I think there are guys running multiple seasons without service.
As far as installing the Quaife, we ordered it for the OEM open diff, and we re-used the stock axles. We also installed 4.36 gears and all new Nissan bearings and seals while we were in there. Paid $2,100 for everything.
Then I painted it Gold.
Michael

roberto
02-01-2003, 03:18 AM
So you just popped the old axles in and they slid into place? The guys from QuaifeAmerica told me that that wouldn't work and I'd need new flanges. Hrmmm. That makes the install a little more swallowable as far as price goes. Thought I'd need new flanges at $300 and maybe even new axles =P

So what year is your 240 and what year is the diff? Does it have C-clips on the end of the flanges which are inserted into the diff and does it have three pairs of tabs for the axles or a star pattern of five single tabs?

Rob

[This message has been edited by roberto (edited February 01, 2003).]

crs240sx
02-01-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by bilracer:
I got mine from Craig at Taylor Race engineering, I believe in Texas.
I have a viscous that I took out, still working fine I'll almost give someone if interested.

bilracer, I would like to take you up on that offer if the diff is out of a 240. I currently run a welded open diff which I am very happy with for the price ($0) but I would like to take the car to some of the larger autoXs as well.

Yuo had no contact info in your profile so please reply here or via email. [email protected]

Thanks,
corey

handfulz28
02-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Rob, the car is a '90. The output flanges are 3-tabbed (2 bolts per tab). Since I didn't do the work, I'm not sure if the flanges were C-clipped or not. But I've pulled the flanges from my other diffs, and they just popped out.
Now, I know there is a slight difference in the output flanges, between cars with open diffs, and cars with OEM VLSD. But so far everything I've read says you can just pop the flanges in & out.
Hmmm, I'll dig around and find my receipt. If there's a part number for the Quaife, I'll let you know.
Michael

Prince Makaha
02-02-2003, 08:05 PM
Popping right means they come out when you use two 3 foot prybars.

MMiskoe
02-03-2003, 12:16 AM
I have a Torsen type in an R200 for my 300zx. After several years (yes years) I thought it would be wise to open it up & see what it needed for service. Waste of time, there was nothing that appeared worn. It came with the car so I have no info on price or installation. It works like a dream, no inside wheel spin but you can push the car by hand in the paddock and still turn, unlike a welded diff. Glad to read the suff on the VLSD's though as car #2 needs something.

Tristan Smith
02-03-2003, 09:40 AM
The axles in all the 240sx's have the same C-clip and pop out. All of the differential flanges (the proper term for the stub axle in the diff) from all s13 and s14 models are interchangable.
The Nismo clutch pack LSD has lasted two seasons in my 240 with no maintinance. It propably has a few more seasons in it before I would see about servicing it. The noise of the clutch pack went away fairly quickly (after they all got a good coating of the RedLine Light Shockproof oil that I use in the diff, which I recommend). Which ever lsd you use or even if you have a locked diff, I would recommend trying to find the back plate cover off of a VLSD diff. It is finned and holds extra fluid, thus improving the cooling of the fluid. You may have to look around for one, but well worth it.
Whie I am not positive, you shouldn't need anything but stock diff flanges to work on a Quaife.

Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

roberto
02-04-2003, 02:17 PM
FWIW,

I am happy to hear that those of you who got the quaife have them up and running with minimal fuss. I was just worried by what the Quaife rep told me.

What he said was that BEFORE the R200 was a large production run diff, it had a bolt on flange. There were only a small number made but that quaife had designed their differential around that model since the demand was high. The rep was under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the design had not been updated to the more modern c-clip version and that extensive digging was required to find the proper flanges. This was not somthing I wanted to get involved with (scarce parts and racing are a BAD mix). In any case this doesn't seem to be an issue and for the extra 400 dollars the quaife seems to be a good bet.

Rob