PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Pulley for a 240Z

Animal71
12-18-2002, 09:05 PM
I need some help finding a larger pulley for the water pump on my 240Z. I'm hoping to solve some overheating problems by slowing down the pump. I've seen one on a 240Z from Texas that looked like an OEM piece from a different manufactuer but the owner couldn't tell me anything because it was on the car when he bought it. Any ideas?

Dave Ruegsegger
Fubar Motorsports
#71 ITS

Joe Harlan
12-19-2002, 02:11 AM
First let me say, we have never seen cavitation on one of these below 7000RPM so be sure the rest of the cooling system is good. If my memory is correct(sometimes we get lucky) The 75 and newer L20 trucks had a larger pulley with the correct offset.

Tom Donnelly
12-19-2002, 06:50 PM
My 240z has an aftermarket pulley. The motor was built by Sunbelt Performance engines. You might try them to find out where to purchase a pulley. E Radatz racing uses a custom pulley for their 240sx and I asked them at one time about having a custom pulley made by the same person. A price was never quoted but the work I saw was excellent and Eddie said that the price was not exorbitant. E Radatz also races a EP 240z along with the EP 240sx and some ITS cars. Sunbelt has a website and I have Eddie's number somewhere if you need it.

Nissan motorsports has an alternate pulley as well but I am not familiar with it.

Tom

Animal71
12-20-2002, 01:47 AM
Thanks Guys. Joe, I don't think that I'm having cavitation problems but I would like to slow down the flow a little. I think that spending a more time in the radiator would get the little bit more cooling that I need. I'm not having big problems, just running a little hotter than I would like by the end of the race. I'll start scouting out the junkyards for an L20. Tom if you do come across that number send it to me at [email protected], it never hurts to have a back-up plan.
Thanks again,
Dave

Parrish57
01-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Hello guys. I run an aluminum h2o pump pulley as well as alternator. They are both small block chevy parts from the Summit racing catalog. Approx. $25 and$20 respectfully. They require minor machine work and a thin spacer for the h20 pump. Still, the overall cost is not much compared to buying custom parts. Look for the small block chevy-long snout pump pulley. I have part numbers somewhere, but they are buried in a mountain of reciepts.

JimD
01-20-2003, 11:07 AM
You can also try using a restrictor plate in the water lines somewhere (at the thermostat location if you are not running one) to slow the flow down.

I run mine with a thermostat and have an aluminum radiator. Temp stays between 180 and 190 on track (no fan on). I have an elec fan I turn on on the cool down lap. Temp usually rises to 220-230 when going back to my paddock space.