PDA

View Full Version : Brake boosters on Z's

dspillrat
01-14-2003, 09:45 PM
HI,
Frequent lurker here.
Opinions wanted on to use or not to use. I've had leaky check valves,questionable boosters,causing all sorts of braking/engine performance issues.Have had the line plugged for last rew races....increased effort,and heel/toe is tougher to acomplish.
With or without?
Who does who dosen't?
Why?

BTW,"inhaling"/testing brake boosters for leaks in the junk yard can result in some strange head aches,yeow! MityVac next time

David Spillman
#18 240Z

Tom Donnelly
01-15-2003, 01:02 PM
David,

I never tried running without the booster. I don't know what the others do. I remember you told me you saw a horsepower loss with the booster hooked up. It was hooked up on that notorious orange z last time I looked.

Tom

dspillrat
01-15-2003, 02:48 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:

I remember you told me you saw a horsepower loss with the booster hooked up.
------------------------------------------ HI Tom,
Tracked my engine mystery to faulty check valve..causing egine to miss badly over 6000RPMs.."after 2weekends,and 12 dyno runs!!!"ARGGHhh_
I'm wondering if modulation of braking force may be easier.
------------------------------------------was hooked up on that notorious orange z last time I looked.
------------------------------------
My recollection as well....
Maybe I should try more to demagnetize my tirewall magnet.
David

ARR
01-15-2003, 04:01 PM
David

If you are able to 'fix' your brakes let me know!

Tony

dspillrat
01-15-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by ARR:

David
If you are able to 'fix' your brakes let me know!
Tony

Hey Tony!,
Hope your Zs back together. Will we be seeing you in the spring at RA?
Posted here thinking someone has experienced similar problem....with booster, I'm prone to lockup the fronts.w/o booster, trouble in the rear. not really being able to porportion it ot with the bias valve.

With all the talk of COMP adjustments,maybe its time to petitionfor ZX vented disks"in the name of safety,...and while we're at it,yea,a 5-speed tranny would be nice...Now that would truley "fix" our brakes and almost "level" the field

david

Tom Donnelly
01-15-2003, 07:10 PM
David and Tony,

I finally scraped together the cash (sold my trailer) and bought another z. Its a '70 model and the master cylinder is different. The resevoir for the rear is closest to the firewall instead of the reverse. Chet said that may be ok. He suggested installing a proportioning valve since this car doesn't have one. And go with the three ducts per rotor instead of two. Along with keeping the emergency brake to adjust the rears as they wear in a race. I've been looking over the 3.90 lsd diff I scavanged from my old car and it looks like heat is a real problem with a 3.90. The paint was all cooked off. Too bad we can't petition for diff coolers as well. Hope to see y'all this year when I scrape tire money together.

And a tire wall magnet is much better that the concrete magnet I had on my old car.
I scrapped what was left of the body after stripping everything including the cage. The scrap yard paid me $7.48 for the metal.
Bought me lunch.

I'm going to sell the cage since its in great shape and the logbook goes with it.
I figure I'll ask $250 and throw in the roof of the car as well. Then someone can cut the roof off a donor, weld in the cage and weld on the new roof. It even has a number on it!

Tom

www.donnellyracing.com (http://www.donnellyracing.com)

dspillrat
01-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:
David and Tony,

I finally scraped together the cash (sold my trailer) and bought another z.
www.donnellyracing.com (http://www.donnellyracing.com)

Saw it in Chets basement the other day,looks really nice/fast>) hope to see you both on the track in March!

David

Parrish57
01-18-2003, 03:30 PM
David.. My first day on this web board! I have never run the booster on my white Z. It was defective when i built the car. I've never had any problems.. BTW My new '70 Z is in Walt's shop getting a roll cage. Should be ready for pickup in a week or two! Steve

dspillrat
01-18-2003, 07:45 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Parrish57:
[B]David.. My first day on this web board!

Ton of ...opinions here. mostly good information.
BTW My new '70 Z is in Walt's shop getting a roll cage. Should be ready for pickup in a week or two!

Sounds like we'll have several Zs in the running this year!! I'm counting 5-6 early Zs in locally if Rick can get his on the track......Keeping em in one peice is the trick.

david

[This message has been edited by dspillrat (edited January 18, 2003).]