PDA

View Full Version : KA24E pistons

erlrich
10-09-2002, 09:33 AM
I've read on this (and other) forums that Nissan Motorsports sells a 9.5:1 piston for the KA24E (this piston was apparently standard on a few of the early '89 engines). However, in the 2002 catalog they list a factory piston with the description "Flat-top piston increases compression ratio from 8.6:1 to 9.1:1". Since my '90 shop manual lists the stock compression as 9.1:1 I was wondering if this is a misprint in the Nissan Motorsports catalog, or if they are no longer selling the higher compression pistons. I left a message with one of the guys at Nissan Motorsports, but he hasn't returned my call yet (after almost a week), so I was hoping someone here might have some insight into this discrepancy. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

bilracer
10-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Call Riley Curtis at Lynchburg Nissan.
1-800-443-2117
He is one of the best Nissan parts guys anywhere and he can help you.
Tell him you are a racer and he may offer a discount if he can.
He will ups anything to you in a reasonable amount of time. He can get nissan motorsports parts no problem.

Originally posted by erlrich:
I've read on this (and other) forums that Nissan Motorsports sells a 9.5:1 piston for the KA24E (this piston was apparently standard on a few of the early '89 engines). However, in the 2002 catalog they list a factory piston with the description "Flat-top piston increases compression ratio from 8.6:1 to 9.1:1". Since my '90 shop manual lists the stock compression as 9.1:1 I was wondering if this is a misprint in the Nissan Motorsports catalog, or if they are no longer selling the higher compression pistons. I left a message with one of the guys at Nissan Motorsports, but he hasn't returned my call yet (after almost a week), so I was hoping someone here might have some insight into this discrepancy. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg Amy
10-09-2002, 09:58 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I've read on this (and other) forums that Nissan Motorsports sells a 9.5:1 piston for the KA24E</font>

Hate to be a party-pooper here, but NisMo high-compression pistons would be illegal in Improved Touring. See ITCS 17.1.4.D.1.j

GregA

Tristan Smith
10-10-2002, 12:48 PM
Actually........in this case Greg, they are. The first 1000 240sx's that came over from Japan had a slighty higher compression ratio then subsequent models. Because of that Denver ruled that the 9.5 to 1 pistons are legal and allowed on all 240sx's. I think most of the 240's out there are running them. I also believe it's listed in 240sx gcr line (don't have one in front of me to verify). Erlich, you used to be able to get them from Nismo, but perhaps they are no longer produced (e-gads, hope no one has to replace any), but I would call them in California again to verify that.

Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

erlrich
10-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks again guys.

Tristan, I did finally get through to one of the tech guys at nismo, and the answer he gave me was kind of interesting. Could you send me your e-mail address - I'd like to get your thoughts on what he told me before I go and post anything here.

Earl Richards
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by erlrich (edited October 10, 2002).]

Tristan Smith
10-11-2002, 10:09 AM
I can be reached at:

[email protected]

handfulz28
10-14-2002, 11:18 PM
the catalog is a misprint. I forget his name, (Jim?) at Nissan Motorsports wrote the type for the catalog, and he confirmed this. The "flat-top" pistons will raise comp ratio to ~9.1:1 in a "late" 12 valve motor. As Tristan said, the "early" motors came stock with the flat-tops.
Earl, were you talking to "Nismo", or Nissan Motorsports? Unfortunately, there's a distinct difference. Take whatever info from Nismo with a grain of salt.
Michael

erlrich
10-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Sorry Michael - I thought Nismo was an acronym for Nissan Motorsports. I did speak with one of the techs at Nissan Motorsports, and he told me the same thing they told you.

And thanks Bill, I did call Riley at Lynchburg Nissan (hell of a nice guy), and he pretty much confirmed what Nissan Motorsports said.

So I guess what it boils down to is the flat top pistons in the Motorsports catalog are the ones I need to get!

Thanks again everyone for all the help
Earl

Geo
10-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by erlrich:
I thought Nismo was an acronym for Nissan Motorsports.

It's a common misconception.

Nismo is Nissan Motorsports International. It is a Japanese company that makes and markets (mostly markets) performance parts for Nissans. They handle much of Nissan's Japanese motorsports development or perhaps all since Nissan's motorsports department in Japan was closed.

Nissan Motorsports (the one we have here in the states) is an American company that largely caters to the folks racing Nissans, but they also carry stuff that is intended for road car use.

They both are independent companies (not part of Nissan). And, to confuse matters more, Nismo will be opening up shop here in the US. I don't know if they will only cater to the road car folks or if they will do motorsports as well, and how this may affect Nissan Motorsports.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed

sgallimo
11-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Is the American company Nissan Motorsports actually Courtesy Nissan located in Richardson (Dallas) Texas?

------------------
-Scott Gallimore
-ITC #88 Pulsar

handfulz28
11-15-2002, 05:05 PM
NOOO!!!
I guess in the "old days", Courtesy used to offer a pretty decent discount on a lot of parts, both OEM replacement and "Nissan Motorsports" (catalog) parts.
Nowadays, I don't think they offer that great of an advantage.
But maybe still useful as a price checker and see if a local place will match it.
Michael

Geo
11-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Courtesy still offers good discounts. There are more and more dealers offering good discounts now however.

Courtesy still tries to stock a lot of performance parts (OEM, Nissan Motorsports, Nismo, and aftermarket) that are hard to find. They lost their best counterman a while back and that has really hurt their service.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Engloid
11-30-2002, 07:54 PM
I dunno about any racing rules and regulations that may restrict you...but..

I can tell you that I recently bought a set of CUSTOM pistons for my vg30et engine. 6 forged, pistons for under $500 from BRC Performance. Email [email protected]
they do have a "racer" discount.

They are VERY nice pistons..

crs240sx
01-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Can you distinguish between the 2 styles of pistons by looking at them? Do the "flat-top" pistons simple have a flat top and the regular ones valve reliefs?

Can someone post a pic if they have one? I have a couple of junk/spare motors that I may be able to reuse and would like to know what I have.

BTW, I believe you can tell which pistions a 89 has by simply opening the hood. When they changed to the lower compression they also added an extra sensor on the side of the air box.

Joe Harlan
01-02-2003, 02:08 PM
The 90 and later piston has about a 5 cc dish in the top. While the 89 piston is a flat top raise surface that's about 5 cc's above the deck. The motorsports catalog has a good photo of the 89 piston for reference.

Joe

handfulz28
01-03-2003, 01:15 AM
The extra sensor is an air-intake temp sensor. NO sensor=high-comp pistons.
I still can't believe I did it, but I had one of those cars; sold it for $500. Chassis and timing chain were toast, but I wish I had kept the motor.
Michael