PDA

View Full Version : Heater core coolant re-routing

powerslide91
12-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Guys,

I know we are allowed to move the heater lines so that they do not go through the heater core itself.

My question is, would it be best to simply block the hear lines or would it be best to run a line from the front 'water in' on the engine directly to the fitting on the back of the head?

I thought the coolant flow goes from the radiator into the engine at the right front. Most goes into the engine but some goes beside the engine in a hose to the core, then from the core back into the rear of the head. Is that right?

Thanks!
Jeff
'72 240Z

irondragon
12-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by powerslide91:
Guys,

I know we are allowed to move the heater lines so that they do not go through the heater core itself.

My question is, would it be best to simply block the hear lines or would it be best to run a line from the front 'water in' on the engine directly to the fitting on the back of the head?

I thought the coolant flow goes from the radiator into the engine at the right front. Most goes into the engine but some goes beside the engine in a hose to the core, then from the core back into the rear of the head. Is that right?

Thanks!
Jeff
'72 240Z

irondragon
12-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Re moving heater lines.
I have never found the need to complete the loop after disconnecting the heater core. Simply blanking off the heater lines at each location works fine and provides one less piece of hose to leak or break.
Originally posted by powerslide91:
Guys,

Thanks!
Jeff
'72 240Z

jhooten
12-29-2002, 11:32 PM
On a related subject, Do any of you leave the heater hooked up to be able to use the defogger/defroster when it rains, or is this a bad idea?

Marc Henry
12-30-2002, 12:48 AM
I have blanked both ends on my ZX and the engine cools just fine. As far as using the defroster, I use Rain-X Anti fog on the inside of the windsheild when racing in rainy conditions and it works great.

------------------
Datsun 280ZX #12 WMR

Joe Harlan
12-30-2002, 06:04 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I know we are allowed to move the heater lines so that they do not go through the heater core itself.</font>

Powerslide be careful here. The only thing I see you can do by the rules is block the existing hoses off. I don't see that you are allowed to re-route them.

Hooten, Out here in the great NW where it rains all the time..(only on race day) we keep them hooked up and functional in most all cases. I do recommend if you ar going to use the heater core that you check it or replace so you don't end up with hot water all over the inside of the car.

Joe

irondragon
12-31-2002, 12:12 AM
Re: Heater core and coolant lines.
Yes, there are times when the heater/defroster has value. But this component is just another piece of the race car that can fail. Get rid of it. Use Rainex et cet. Unless you are willing to upgrade the heater core and its connections to the level that you prep the engine/car to, then you are wasting the efforts you put into the car. The weakest link et cet et al.
Bill Miskoe