PDA

View Full Version : 240Z rims and wheels

powerslide91
11-29-2002, 09:43 PM
Guys, Well I thought everything was heading in the right direction for my first school in my new 240Z, but now the extended forecast for next weekend sez maybe rain! Soooo;

Can someone confirm for me the backspace I need to order on the 14x7 rims? I am leaning towards a set of Panasport ULs, so if someone has a good referance for them, let me know.

Also, what is the favorite for rain tires these days? I know alot of autocrossers use the Hoosier Dirt Stocker, but I am thinking more along the lines of a full depth R tire so I could maybe use them later on in the dry.

Thanks!
Jeff
[email protected]

ITSRX7
11-29-2002, 11:09 PM
I would just pony up for the Dirt Stocker. When you need them, you need them.

I ran the Toyo RA-1 at full tread and was told that the Hoosiers are HEAD and SHOULDERS better when there is water.

As long as you don't get caught out there while it's drying to dry, you should have the set for multiple years.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
[email protected]

ITS_Racer1
12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
The "correct" offset for the 'Z is 0". However, many racers also put ~3/8" spacers on the front to widen the track. So, you could safely run 3/8" outset on your rims.

Panasport UL's are great rims for the 'Z. If you plan to race in the ITS/PS-1 class in the future, you will need the 14"x7" size.

Tristan Smith
12-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Actually for rain tire rims, go find a set of stock used 14x6 Factory alloys. One, they are cheap and you can pick them up a lot cheaper than a set of Panasports. Two, you propably won't use them that much, so why spend the money on them. Three, the narrower wheel and heavier weight will actually benefit you in the rain. Dirt stockers when the rain is falling and will continue to fall during the whole race. Toyos RA-1 as an intermediate rain or damp track tire.

Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

JohnRW
12-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Ahem...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...VS+Intermediate (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+Intermediate)

Don't laugh. 41 bucks a piece for 185-14's, kids. Think about that.

Before you laugh out loud at the tire above...I have these on my IT car AND on my vintage car...and used these tires to put the 370 hp vintage car on the 3rd row of a 50+ car group this summer and took 2nd overall...but I REALLY like driving in the rain, so YMMV.

You don't need a wide tire if it's wet, so don't worry that they don't have any 225's (I bought them all). You're wasting your money on dirt stockers etc. for rain tires if you're just starting out. I'll also echo Tristan's advice about wheels - how often do you use wets vs. how much are you willing to spend on wheels ? Light wheels don't mean squat in the wet. Traction is king and wheels don't buy you traction.

dominojd
12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
Ahem...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...VS+Intermediate (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVS+Intermediate)

Don't laugh. 41 bucks a piece for 185-14's, kids. Think about that.

Before you laugh out loud at the tire above...I have these on my IT car AND on my vintage car...and used these tires to put the 370 hp vintage car on the 3rd row of a 50+ car group this summer and took 2nd overall...but I REALLY like driving in the rain, so YMMV.

You don't need a wide tire if it's wet, so don't worry that they don't have any 225's (I bought them all). You're wasting your money on dirt stockers etc. for rain tires if you're just starting out. I'll also echo Tristan's advice about wheels - how often do you use wets vs. how much are you willing to spend on wheels ? Light wheels don't mean squat in the wet. Traction is king and wheels don't buy you traction.

John great idea. Those tires are great. I had no idea they still had them laying around. I just ordered a set for rains you could even get away with them on a drying track pretty sticky street tire. I've used them before great tire.

------------------
Joe D.
ITS pilot