PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Use, whats allowed

ICEperformance
11-16-2002, 04:34 PM
Hello,

Today I hope to be buying a 90 240sx coupe base model. (my 3rd 240sx, girlfriend not happy http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif)

I plan on building it to IT Specs. I wasn't clear on what's allowed as far as coilover use goes. I see that most people go with sleeve kits like Ground Control (anyone have spring rates?) I have accsess to a set of TEIN HE's (448lb front/336lb rear). Is a fully adjustably setup like the TEIN's allowed or only sleeve over kits with something like the KYB AGX?

Thanks and I hope to be a active member to this forum,

------------------
Doug Schmidt, Owner
ICE Performance, Las Vegas
702-739-3456

Geo
11-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ICEperformance:
Hello,

Today I hope to be buying a 90 240sx coupe base model. (my 3rd 240sx, girlfriend not happy http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif)

I plan on building it to IT Specs. I wasn't clear on what's allowed as far as coilover use goes. I see that most people go with sleeve kits like Ground Control (anyone have spring rates?) I have accsess to a set of TEIN HE's (448lb front/336lb rear). Is a fully adjustably setup like the TEIN's allowed or only sleeve over kits with something like the KYB AGX?

Thanks and I hope to be a active member to this forum,

You can only use a sleeve type. You cannot use a threaded body such as on the Teins.

There are other and better alternatives for dampers however besides the AGX. You might be able to fit the Koni 8611 double adjustable insert into the stock struts. If not, we are getting ready to produce struts for the Sentra SE-R and Porsche 944 that will use this insert. It wouldn't be too hard to make one for the S13 as well.

According to my Nissan FAST CD, the S13 has conventional shocks in the rear (not stuts). You should be able to use an off-the-shelf Koni. I am looking into what I need for my 944 as well as a friend's B14. I suspect they will be the same shock with different valving, depending upon spring rates. You will want a rear shock without the threaded body however. I don't think that will be hard to get.

As for spring rates for the S13, I don't have that information. I do know that current practice in Speed Touring Cars is to use very high spring rates (600+) in the front with even bigger rates in the rear to get the FWD cars to rotate. Not sure how that will translate to the S13 with RWD however. The reason for the high rates is at legal ride height, the suspension goes into a nasty part of the camber curve and this keeps the suspension movement (and thus camber change) to a minimum.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

Geo
11-16-2002, 05:23 PM
Oh, and I can sure appreciate the 3 240SXs. I have a built SE-R and a built turbo G20 for road cars. Pure accident that I ended up with the 944 for a race car. But, my business partner has a ITS SE-R that we are developing. It's a sickness. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/tongue.gif

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

dpc
11-16-2002, 07:44 PM
Doug, give me a ring.518.792.4986 and I can tell you what we did with our 240sx's with springs and shocks. dave

erlrich
11-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Doug - for sake of comparison, Ground Control's setup for the ITA 240 uses Koni 8641 inserts in the front and 8040 shocks in the rear (both rebound adjustable only). Springs are ERS, 450# front and 325# rear. I haven't had the car on the track yet, so I can't comment on how well these work, but the guys at G-C have a good reputation and seem to know what they're doing.

ICEperformance
11-27-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by erlrich:
Doug - for sake of comparison, Ground Control's setup for the ITA 240 uses Koni 8641 inserts in the front and 8040 shocks in the rear (both rebound adjustable only). Springs are ERS, 450# front and 325# rear. I haven't had the car on the track yet, so I can't comment on how well these work, but the guys at G-C have a good reputation and seem to know what they're doing.

Hey there,

Do you happen to have the part numbers off the springs. Something like...0000.0.00.450

Thanks

------------------
Doug Schmidt, Owner
ICE Performance, Las Vegas
702-739-3456

erlrich
12-01-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by ICEperformance:
Hey there,

Do you happen to have the part numbers off the springs. Something like...0000.0.00.450

Thanks

Sure - the part #'s are 0700.250.0450 & 0700.250.0325

I'm sure you already know this (but just in case), these springs will only work with Ground Control's (or similar) threaded sleeve system, and not as replacements for the OEM springs.

Earl

------------------
* ITA 240SX in process *

joeg
12-02-2002, 06:44 PM
Those are standard "Eibach" (And many other's) coil-over numbers.
They translate to 7 inch free length, 2& 1/2 inch ID (2.50inch) and 450 lb rate (or whatever number is on the spring).
A 2.50 inch coil-over is available in various rates and free lengths from Eibach, Hyperco, Carerra, etc.

You do not have to buy the springs from Ground Control, but they are a good vendor.