PDA

View Full Version : 240SX bushings - spherical v. urethane

erlrich
09-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Hi gang - another newbie here, just wanted to start by saying hello and thanks for the wealth of info already posted here. As this site was very influential in the decision to get my '90 240SX to build for ITA, I thought it only fair that I return the favor by posting all my stupid questions here, to hopefully provide a few chuckles and, on the rare occasion, increase the knowledge base. So here goes #1:

I've read here (and other places) that the spherical bushings are THE setup for the 240 suspension, but I'm wondering just how much better they are as compared to good polyurethane replacement bushings (for instance, the Whiteline bushings PDM sells). Is the additional cost justified (sorry guys, I'm an accountant by day, so everything gets the cost/benefit treatment)?

On a related note, is there currently a 'hot' setup for springs/shocks/struts?

All help is greatly appreciated!

------------------
ITA 240SX in process

bbp
09-25-2002, 12:35 PM
Oh boy, I hope you haven't awakened the "Spherical bearings are illegal" Rules Nerds!!

I have heard the same thing. It make sense because there are so many bushings in the rear, like 16 in the control arm plus the rear subframe and diff (S14). There is alot of rubber than can squish around back there. I don't know how big of a difference between the two as I only have done a couple of sphericals and the rest I used the PDM stuff.

The cost diffence is night and day though. I'll have to dig up my reciept for the custom work but you can probably do all poly bushes for the cost of about 4 sphericals. There is a guy in Topeka (Tim at Westek) that is familiar with the set up. He was talking about getting a few rear supensions ready for sale and you send him your "core".

Bob Stretch seems to be the guru of 240's, he said the bearings are the only way to go.

Geo
09-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by bbp:
Oh boy, I hope you haven't awakened the "Spherical bearings are illegal" Rules Nerds!!

Nah. A quick e-mail Sven took care of that once and for all.

ITA240
09-25-2002, 02:17 PM
Erlrich,
If you can swing it, do the sphericals, or at least plan them for the future. In addition to the countless numbers of bushings back there, several of these suspension arms move at slightly different planes. This creates some binding which the sphericals help eliminate. If you have access to a press, a torch and a few other tools, it is not impossible to do yourself. Westec should be able to sell y ou the parts you need.

If you need any help with any other development questions, just post, or email me.

Jim
[email protected]

erlrich
09-26-2002, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys. That was pretty much what I was thinking. As it stands now though they may have to go on the wish list - maybe for the second season - just too many pieces higher up on the list.

BTW, does anyone have a contact # for Westek?

Thanks again
Earl

bbp
09-26-2002, 11:39 PM
West Tek Inc.
2047 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66612

785-235-6701 Tim

Good Luck!

handfulz28
10-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Tim@Westek is the way to go for sphericals. He's not cheap, but he's got lots of experience with the 240 suspension, and that's worth more than dollars and cents (~$1,200 or so).
However, if you're gonna do a step-by-step build-up, the first thing on your list should be motor work (and seat time). A strong motor can usually overcome an under-developed suspension, all else being equal.
Trust me, it really sucks when you outbrake/outcorner a guy, just to have him motor by you on the straight.
Michael

erlrich
10-15-2002, 11:12 AM
Thanks bbp for the #, I did call and talk with Tim at West Tek - extremely knowledgeable on the 240 suspension, and a hell of a nice guy to boot! He'll definitely be getting my business as soon as the budget permits. But I have to agree with you Michael, beyond the basic suspension requirements (thank you Ground Control) I think the next big chunk of the budget should go into building a decent power plant.

Thanks again guys
Earl