PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure in a KA24E

mgp240
08-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Hi everybody, I recently completed a complete rebuild of my KA24E engine in a 1990 240sx. The problem I'm having is a complete lack of oil pressure... I did prime the pump. I purchased a new oil pump and swapped that out also, so I really don't think that it's the pump. I didn't have an O-ring for the pickup tube, so the first time I put permatex around it, but have since put an O-ring in. I took the timing chain cover back off and resealed the areas between the cover and block. I've turned the engine over with the oil fiter off, and there is pretty much nothing coming out of the block. I've been trying to figure out why there is no oil flow or pressure for over 2 weeks... Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated before I end up siezing the brand new bearings.
Thanks,
Mike

Tristan Smith
08-14-2002, 10:17 AM
Mike I am NOOOOOO engine guru, but it seems to me that if you have a new oil pump installed correctly and still you are getting little to no flow, I would say that either one of the oil galleries is plugged up with something, or that perhaps the head gasket is not installed correctly (blocking the oil flow). Have you taken the valve cover off to see if you are getting oil flow up in the head? Thats about all I can contribute. Let us know what the problem is when you get it figured out.

Tristan Smith
Buffalo's Southwest Cafe ITA Nissan 240sx #56

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited August 14, 2002).]

Geo
08-14-2002, 03:34 PM
I don't know the KA24, but know the SR20 pretty well, so I'm going to makes some assumptions that they are similar.....

Assuming the KA is like the SR in regards to the filter being the very first place the oil goes after leaving the pump, I'd guess you have one of a three problems.

1) Oil pump gears installed backwards? I don't even know if this is possible.

2) Internal oil leak.

The SR has a chain oiling fixture that screws into the block. If that is missing, I would guess you would have little to no oil pressure - it makes for a HUGE internal leak. I think oil may go straight from the pump to that galley, but I'm not sure.

Otherwise, trace the path of the oil and check all o-rings along the way. I wonder if it's possible the RTV you originally sealed the pick-up with might have had a piece fall off and clog a passage.

3) Have you double checked your pressure relief valve? Is it possible it's stuck open?

Those are my best guesses. Sorry if the SR is dramatically different from the KA and this is a waste of time.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed

crs240sx
08-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Check the simple stuff first, did you install the oil pickup before putting the pan back on? Don't laugh, it happens http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

mgp240
08-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info, but so far I've tried all things mentioned. The oil only needs to travel through the pick-up tube, oil pump and through 2 channels in the lower part of the block before it gets to the filter where I'm checking it. I've already had 3 different oil pumps on there and it is the same problem with all, so I have trouble believing it would be a bad pressure regulator. The pump is an external bolt on one, and I don't think there is a way to get it on backwards. I can't seem to find anything about a "chain oiling fixture", so I think that might be specific to the SR20.
To "crs240sx" I'm not laughing... I crawled out from underneath the car after tightening the engine mounts for the first time and looked at the pick-up tube laying on the workbench. But the pan has been on and off about 5 times since then.
Another thing I've done is to overfill the pan. I figured if I wasn't getting a good seal on the pick-up tube, by overfilling the pan I could cover up the connection between the block and pick-up tube and if I got oil I could take it apart and reseal it.
Well, thanks for the advice so far. And if you've got any more... keep it coming.
Thanks,
Mike

ITA240
08-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Mike,
You didn't say, did you actually start the engine, or were you looking for oil pressure from cranking it over with the starter? I would think these engines might have a hard time drawing up any significant oil pressure at cranking speed. I have never tried actually looking for at the sender, but I dont remember seeing oil pressure before mine started.

A few things to check, perhaps obvious, but might be worth trying.

1. Gasket? between oil pump and timing cover. I know, obvious, but just in case.
2. You are right, the oil pump will only go on one way.
3. Timing chain tensioner, is it loose? It does have an oil supply to it.
4. is there a blockage, part of an old gasket, etc. lodged in the adapter block between the oil filter and the engine block?
5. Maybe try removing the filter adapter and use compressed air to try to blow backwards through the system to dislodged any blockage. (BE SURE NOT TO GO CRAZY WITH THE AIR PRESSURE>maybe 20-30psi>DON'T WANT TO RISK DAMAGE TO BYPASS VALVE< ETC.)

Feel free to email me offline at [email protected]

While I"m not a mechanic, I have had my 240 apart several times (unfortunately!!) and I do have two complete engines here for reference.

Jim

[This message has been edited by ITA240 (edited August 15, 2002).]

mgp240
08-17-2002, 02:37 PM
I have the timing chain cover back off of the engine, and I was wondering about putting permatex around the oil passage rings(the two metal rings right above the oil pump). I can't find anything about it in the book that I have... do you load them up with permatex in order to make a good seal, or are they supposed to float around(the cut-out in the timing chain cover is deeper than they are thick)?
Any help would be apprectiated.

ITA240
08-17-2002, 10:50 PM
MIke,
Get a set of gaskets. Those two metal rings are supposed to have molded o-ring type seals built into them. Go to discount auto parts or wherever and get the gasket set with the front oil seal(the one around the harmonic balancer) I think they sell this as a timing cover set even though you wont ned the timing cover gasket. It should include the two little metal plugs if I remember right. ONe has a little "tang" to hold it in place.

Here's hoping that solves the problem for you..(this sure would do it of those little seals are leaking)

Jim

[This message has been edited by ITA240 (edited August 17, 2002).]

Team Twenty
08-18-2002, 08:22 AM
call me, will try to help. too diff on the net. Fletcher Williams GT3 240SX, ITA 240SX, KA ITT Trucks. 770-564-0972 leave # if answer mach picks up, I may be busy in the shop. Fletcher

mgp240
08-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Well, I am pleased to say that the engine is running and has the correct oil pressure now!!! Thank you all for your input, and especially to "ITA240", he hit it on the head about the rubber rings on those metal gaskets. I never noticed the rings on them before and I think I mistook it for permatex when I was cleaning all the parts during the rebuild. The engine sounds strong, even though I haven't taken it for a drive, I did manage to get the neighbor all bent out of shape about my "Victory Revs"(Because I didn't have any of the exhaust on yet)
Well, Thanks again!

ITA240
08-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Mike...
Glad to help. You have my phone number and email, don't hesitate to ask.

Jim

[This message has been edited by ITA240 (edited August 19, 2002).]