PDA

View Full Version : ITS SE-R Questions

nj1266
05-20-2002, 03:30 AM
Hi,

I just acquired a 92 Sentra SE-R and I want to slowly turn it into an ITS car. I read the rules and I would like a few clarifications:

1. I take it that in ITS no Cold Air Intake is allowed, only a pop charger? Is that correct?

2. The Suspension rules did not make sense to me. They left me very confused. Are we allowed to run shortened coilover suspensions like the ones Truechoice and motivational makes for the SE-Rs. Or are we limited to the AGXs/Ground Control set-up?

3. Are the strut mounting hardware supposed to be stock? I am talking about the mounting brackets, insulators, and upper spring rubber and metal seats.

4. Are we allowed to use camber/caster plates? I am pretty sure we are, but would like a second opinion.

5. The GCR states that we can install/remove anti-sway bars. But can we make them thicker/thiner than stock?

------------------
98 SE-R
92 SE-R

bbp
05-20-2002, 09:32 AM
1. After the airflow meter is open to modification.

2. The truechoice set up is fine. As long as the coilover collars are not permanently attached to the shock, it's ok.

3 & 4. Camber plates are legal, which answers 3 as well.

Welcome to the board!

Tristan Smith
05-20-2002, 04:58 PM
You can modify any components in the air intake BEFORE you hit the airflow meter. Meaning that you can put on a cone filter, pop charger, ect. But once you hit that afm, gotta use the stock parts. Sucks for the Nissan crowd cause they are usually near the airbox/filter. Hondas are near the intake manifold. You can build a cool air box around the cone filter but you can't drill holes in the bodywork (you can't use any hole that isn't a stock hole) and you can't ducted directly into the airflow to get any kind of rammed aired effect.

Suspension, you can run shortened shocks and adjustable coilovers but the coil over collars cannot be permanantly attached to the shock tube/body. The suspension pick up points have to be the stock points with control arms being stock, (no changing or reinforcing) but the bushing material is open. Read into that what you want...there has been much debate over what the means. But delrin, poly, and spherical bearings have all been used. Remember that you can't weld in spherical bearings per the rules.
Camber plates are legal, and well as any sway bars you would like. Anyone else out there.............jump on in.

Tristan Smith
ITA 1989 Nissan 240sx
ITB 1978 Datsun 200sx

nj1266
05-20-2002, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the help.

I am just having a hard time interpreting what "permenantely attached" means. I have a True choice Koni shortened front struts with the threaded collar around the strut housing on my current 98 200SX SE-R that I run in the SE-R Cup with NASA. The threaded collar turns around the strut housing and cna be removed. Does that qualify for not being permanently attached?

------------------
98 SE-R
92 SE-R

Joe Craven
05-20-2002, 09:08 PM
nj1266, I've found the rules confusing too but Tristan answered all of your current questions. Of course, you'll have many more and the easiest way to see what others are doing is to go to the race track and look/ask etc. Of course, don't assume that what people do is absolutely legal. Reading the GCR and asking like you are doing is the best way.

Tristan, I see that you have a 1978 200SX listed. I built a 80 ITB 200SX which has the Z motor and more weight and perhaps rear discs. The car handles exceptionally well, and the NapZ motor makes loads of power right out of the box. Do you find that your 78 200SX with the L motor is competitive? I'm going to race a 71 ITB Capri this year, but I might bring out the 80 ITB 200SX once I update it to '02 GCR requirements. Changes include emergency power switch, roll cage mods, fuel port, cracked windshield etc. The car is required to weigh 2530 lbs, porky.

-Joe

Silkworm
05-20-2002, 09:25 PM
nj1266,

Correct, as long as the sleeves can be removed from the strut/shock body itself, you're fine.

Swaybars are ok to change.

PaulC
"wondering how you can install spherical bushings in a control arm without welding"

------------------

Tristan Smith
05-21-2002, 02:59 PM
nj1266

Permantly attached means essentially that it can not be stuck to the strut in anyway.....it must just sit around the shock tube (on a lip that you can weld on, go figure).

Joe, well I haven't run the 200sx in a season and a half, but it was midpack at best. Pulled a couple of thirds (slim fields) on it's last weekend. Thats one of the reason I built the 240sx (and the fact that I am a Nissan guy). The L20 motor is a stout motor, and I usually beat the 2nd gen 200sx's that came out to play, but like you said, the 2nd gen cars are heavy. My 200sx weights in at 2350, and you car weights what the 240sx does, 2530lbs. I have spent the last year freshening up the 200sx and it will propably try to go vintage racing this year, but we will see.

Silkworm, press fitting, very tight tolerences, and you monitor them, a lot.

Tristan Smith

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited May 21, 2002).]

Geo
05-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by nj1266:
1. I take it that in ITS no Cold Air Intake is allowed, only a pop charger? Is that correct?

This year only, you may run a cold air intake, but only if you can fit it through an existing opening in the coachwork. Grover fabbed a 2.5" CAI that works on his car though the stock opening for the resonator in the fender well.

Starting next year, the rule has already been revised to state that the source of air must either be under the hood or the original location (or something very similar). That would eliminate any possibility of a CAI for the SE-R since the opening in the stock airbox is under the hood.

2. The Suspension rules did not make sense to me. They left me very confused. Are we allowed to run shortened coilover suspensions like the ones Truechoice and motivational makes for the SE-Rs. Or are we limited to the AGXs/Ground Control set-up?

The only limitations I can think of are:

1) You are limited to the same number or springs, same type (i.e. coils, vs. torsion bars), and the original mounting locations.

2) The limits on dampers are no coilover collars that are permanently attached or part of the damper body. No remote reservior dampers. Must attach to the original stock locations. Only two adjustments are allowed.

3. Are the strut mounting hardware supposed to be stock? I am talking about the mounting brackets, insulators, and upper spring rubber and metal seats.

Nope. That is open. It's part of the damper.

5. The GCR states that we can install/remove anti-sway bars. But can we make them thicker/thiner than stock?

Swaybars are open. I am planning on making some tubular 3-piece swaybars for Grover's SE-R and my 944 as well.

------------------
84 944 ITS car under construction

SCCARon
07-04-2002, 04:28 PM
The rules do state that air horns are not allowed. Since POP chargers have an air horn then I don't think you would be allowed to use it. The honda guys where having this debate over the air horn that was in the AEM intakes a few seasons ago.

Ron

Tristan Smith
07-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Well the rules state that anything before the air mass sensor is free.
The pop charger is in front of the air flow meter, and therefor is currently legal. On the Nissans any benefit that you get is more than likely negated by the long plastic corrugated air intake tube anyway.

Tristan Smith
ITA Nissan 240sx #56

Knestis
07-04-2002, 06:12 PM
I don't know how I missed the strand when it started but, if you might have missed my ramblings Naji, take a look at...

www.2litre.itgo.com (http://www.2litre.itgo.com)

We are trying to promote the use of cars like your Nissan and would love to recognize you on our site. Consider registering for the Jump Start points game and send us a picture of your car in action.

Happy racing!

Kirk

www.2litre.itgo.com (http://www.2litre.itgo.com)
www.evaluand.com (http://www.evaluand.com)