PDA

View Full Version : timing advance

dpc
05-08-2002, 10:26 PM
What should the timing advance be at 7000rpm in a 240sx?

Joe Craven
05-09-2002, 01:20 PM
I can't directly answer your question but I can share some experiences. I race a Capri Ford 2000cc car and a 1980 Z20 motored 200SX.

The Ford seems to make the most horsepower with 36 deg total advance. The NapZ Datsun motor seems to make the most power with 26 or 27 deg total advance.

The NapZ being a newer engine must have a faster combustion process so needs less advance. It is a powerhouse of a motor, and you might need to think of similar timing starting points if your engine is similar to the Z20.

However, the best test is to put the car on the dyno and change the timing to find the power curves.

Geo
05-14-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by dpc:
What should the timing advance be at 7000rpm in a 240sx?

I'm kind of curous why you're looking for this information. The advance is controlled by the ECU using 3D mapping. The ECU will adjust the timing from base, so usually you just set your base timing and the ECU takes over from there.

Call Jim Wolf Technology if you really need this information. If you need reprogramming for your ECU they are the only choice to consider.

dpc
05-14-2002, 10:25 AM
I have an engine that is running hot, but we checked out our computer(Wolf) and things seem to be ok. But still have a hot engine''

Geo
05-14-2002, 09:17 PM
I have an engine that is running hot, but we checked out our computer(Wolf) and things seem to be ok. But still have a hot engine''

Are you using an aftermarket water temp gauge? Are your fans coming on?

I'm not as familiar with the KA24DE as I am with the SR20DE, but I know of certain water temp issues.

Have you thoroughly bleed the cooling system more than once?

ITA240
05-14-2002, 11:30 PM
Whatis it doing/When is it running hot?...
RAce conditions or does it get hot while idling?....

These cars do get hot....the water pumps do cavitate at HIgh rpm....they do need either a thermostat or restrictor in the water neck...a large by huge aluminum radiator doesn't hurt....

Jim

Geo
05-15-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by ITA240:
These cars do get hot....the water pumps do cavitate at HIgh rpm....

Then that is similar to the SR20. You should be able to buy an oversize aluminum pulley from Unorthodox Racing. If you have a well stocked dealer in town, you might want to compare the stock pulley against some other Nissan pulleys. For instance, we found out that a Stanza pulley is larger than a Sentra SE-R pulley. No cavitaion. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
84 944 ITS car under construction

dpc
05-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Guys, thanks for all of the help. We found out that the shaft that runs from the oil pump to the distributor was off about 15degrees, enough so that #1 piston would not line up at TDC. We fixed that problem so we will see what happens. Things look good now. Thanks for all the help. dave

slowSER
05-15-2002, 04:59 PM

I had a problem with my ITS Sentra SE-R running hot during a practice day. Water temps would climb over 200 degrees after 1-2 laps, and I then couldn't make much power. It turned out the problem was the throttle position sensor.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R, ITS/PS1 raSEcaR
'00 Ford Lightning, hauls S ... E-R
Blackshirt Racing (http://www.blackshirtracing.com)