PDA

View Full Version : 240SX: ring & pinion, and gauges

handfulz28
04-15-2002, 02:30 PM
how many are running something other than stock ratio, 4.08? I decided to plunk down the money for a quaife, and I'm trying to decide whether to change the R&P while i'm in there. FWIW, I'm in SEDIV (Homestead, Moroso, Sebring, Daytona, Roebling, Rd. Atlanta, etc...)
Also, what gauges are you using, and where'd you install the sending units?
Right now I've got oil pressure & temp, and water temp. The oil pressure is an electrical Autometer, with the sending unit replacing stock sender. The oil temp is also electrical Autometer, tee'd into the oil cooler line. The pressure sending unit is so big, it doesn't get along with the oil cooler adapter, so I'm going with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I also want to drill/tap the oil cooler adapter to do away with the tee in that line.
I'm having trouble with the water temp though. I'm using autometer electrical, with an adapter to fit the pass. side port in the block. Problem is the sending unit doesn't protrude beyond the adapter, so I don't think I'll get a good reading. I'm thinking of drilling/tapping the OEM gauge sending unit and installing it there; anyone else done this?
Finally I want to add a mechanical water pressure gauge; I think it has 1/2" NPT threads. Anyone want to volunteer a good place/method of installation?
Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to share/gather some good info. Thanks for any help and advice.
Michael
ITA 240SX #09

ITA240
04-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Michael,
I will be happy to share setups/ mistakes with you. I am in Central Florida and have run several of the tracks you are looking at. email me at [email protected]

The answers would get quite lengthy..

Jim

revzalot
04-16-2002, 02:22 AM
Jim and Mike,

Please post your conversation here. I'm interested and also new at this. I'm planning to build a 240sx ITA and I need all the help I can find.

bbp
04-16-2002, 02:13 PM
ditto revzalot

ITA240
04-16-2002, 05:43 PM
I used the NISMO rear with a 4.36 gear. It does fine at Sebring and Moroso. It might be a little short on gear for Daytona or maybe even the front stretch at Roebling if you get out of nine(?) fast. Remember, this is NOT a vtec engine, it is a long stroke small bore engine. More torque, less rpm. have you reprogrammed the ecu?

Gauges...I have tach, O2, H2O temp, oil press., Oil temp. oil light 25psi and oil temp are in remote filter adapter. oil gauge is in stock location on the block. H2O sensor is in a pipe adapter in the radiator hose. All the gauges are Autometer except the O2 gauge. It is from summit.....

Send me your emails and I will copy everyone with my answers (FWIW) to any questions...

Jim

Mike Covello
04-16-2002, 07:04 PM
I use a 4.63 gear at Sebring, Moroso, Homestead and Roebling Road - I use the stock gear at Daytona. I got the 4.63 from Nissan Motorsports along with their LS unit.
I only have one LS so i have to swap the r&p
every time we run Daytona! A real pain but woth it.

ITA240
04-16-2002, 11:16 PM
MIke....Doesn't your 16 valve car like to rev a little better than these lowly 12 valve engines we are running. Just wondering because although mine is still pulling, I am getting into the range of RPM's that I wouldn't want to run much higher at Sebring long course and Moroso even with only the 4.36...

btw..ARe you doing the DAytona enduro?....Let me now if you need a hand..I'll probably be in spectator mode..don't feel like changing a rear gear just to change it backa again...

Jim

Mike Covello
04-17-2002, 08:57 AM
Jim - The dohc quits making power around 6500 rpm but will rev a lot higher since it doesn't have those pesky rockers flying around. My car will definitely be at Daytona but I may not be because we're moving into a new building the week before soooo any help you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Seems like we have a bunch of new SX guys in our area - we all gotta hook up at the races!