PDA

View Full Version : 240sx prep help

revzalot
04-04-2002, 03:35 AM
I have an oppurtunity to purchase an 89 240sx with no engine nor tranny. I think this is a good chance to purchase a motor prepped for IT racing but I don't know where to get one. Any suggestions?

Tristan Smith
04-04-2002, 04:17 AM
Well in theory a stock motor is IT prepped, so anywhere you can get a stock or used motor you should be good to go. Don't forget to add all the required safety equipment, check a GCR for those requirments. Now having said that you may not have a top tier competitive car. To get a motor prepped to the full extent of the IT rules, you will have to build one, or find a local shop willing to do so. There aren't any fully prepped KA24d motors lying around to my knowledge, but who knows, maybe someone on this site can direct you to one. Good luck

Tristan Smith
ITA 240sx #56
ITB 200sx #58

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited April 04, 2002).]

Pete Smith
04-04-2002, 07:49 AM
The motor isn't that big of a deal!
You can get 40over/9.5? to 1 pistons from Nissan, these higher compression pistons were stock on some of the early 89 240s and are therefore legal. Make sure you replace the timing chain assembly as you'll find most of the used engines will have part of the chain guide(plastic)parts will be in the oil pan! If you're doing the rebuild yourself make sure you follow the shop manual closely as there are very specific bearing sizes, as they are not all the same.
I've won quite a few races with my 240 doing our own rebuilds, used engines should be cheap, make sure the head is good!!!!
Good luck.

revzalot
04-04-2002, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the insight. I've heard a company called Sunbeam can make these engine fly in IT. Does anyone know the contcat info of this company?

bobpink
04-04-2002, 02:13 PM
There is also this guy named Rebello on the West Coast that does a nice job on these engines. He builds the engines for both Bob Stretch (ITA 240SX) and E. Radatz Motorsports (EP 240SX) and they perform quite well. Don't have any idea on pricing. I think these days to run up front in IT you need an engine builder/machinist that really knows their stuff as there are tweaks here and there for extra HP that still fall within the rules.

Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
ITS Honda Prelude

GJB
04-04-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by revzalot:
Thank you for the insight. I've heard a company called Sunbeam can make these engine fly in IT. Does anyone know the contcat info of this company?

If you really mean Sunbeam, I have no idea : )

If you mean Sunbelt Performance Engines, you can reach them at 770-932-0160. From what I hear, it won't be cheap and it won't get done quickly...but it'll be among the best you can get.

--Greg
ITA 240SX under destruction

revzalot
04-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Yeah I meant Sunbelt. Thanks for the info.

bobpink
04-05-2002, 01:05 AM
You can expect to see the turn around times at Sunbelt Performance Engines improving in the coming months due to their getting a better handle on the time management end of things. Right now one of their biggest jobs is doing all of the World Challenge engines for the Mazda Proteges and it keeps them VERY busy, but they know full well it is necessary to keep the club racers happy too.

Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Motorsports
ITS Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited April 05, 2002).]

ITA240
04-05-2002, 01:25 AM
Unless you are basically stealing the car (or just LOVE twisting wrenches yourself), consider buying one already built. The dollars will add up fast when building one from scratch. It is VERY easy to end up with 13-15,000 in one and still not have REBELLO's trick $7500 engine or $1500 stainless header.

Jim

kthomas
04-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ITA240:
... still not have REBELLO's trick $7500 engine or $1500 stainless header.

Jim

Do his trick engines blow up any less regular than his standard ones? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

------------------
katman

handfulz28
04-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Wow, maybe Rebello is getting a big head, last year he quoted me only $5,000 for his "trick" ITA motor...hehe
But FWIW, Rebello's motors are fast, and they last. Bob Stretch said one of his motors lasted something like 32 races before finally giving up, check all the posts here and you'll find it.
I tried calling Sunbelt last year also. I could never get through. I'm real curious what they're getting for a motor.
If you've got the money, Rebello or Sunbelt are the way to go. If you've got the skills and tools, do it yourself.
Michael
ITA 240, SEDIV #09

dpc
04-05-2002, 10:00 PM
If you have a good machine shop for a valve job and cleaning up the block you can do it yourself. just read the book. We have talked to Ca and Ga. you can do it Just talk to the drivers at LRP About Pete Smiths 240SX. That was and engine that we put together in his garage. Let us know if you need help. Dave

fixrim
04-09-2002, 12:23 AM
fwiw, rebello motors are not really all that expensive, if you consider all they do and all you get. sure, they are more expensive than a local reman engine or a junkyard piece, but if you pay someone to do all the machining, put in new rods, new pistons, new valve, plus all the gear, line hone the block, etc, then you'll find most engine builders are close to the same money. Rebellos IT motors make great power and are as reliable as anyone's, and if you don't get them dynoed and order the basic long block, it will probably run $3500-4000. Now, add the header, dyno time, core price, shipping, clutch, flywheel, plus any spares, and the price naturally goes higher. I think there is some misconception about the cost of rebello motors.........

Tom Blaney
04-09-2002, 10:53 AM
fwiw, I have used a number of pro engine builders in gt, and I have found that for the most part you can do almost as good a job by yourself. It is really important to get the block honed and line bored, and to take the extra time to make sure that everything fits perfectly. Since the rules don't allow any head work, most of the machine work can be done by any competient machine shop. Visit the shop ahead of time, look for clean equipment, and organization. A sloppy shop usually does sloppy work. The shop manual will give all the necessary specs. Just take the extra time to assemble it correct and a little "loose". You pay a lot of money to an engine shop to have a shop assistant assemble the engine. Unless your intend on cheating, there really is no magic in IT, you can have a lot of power, but you still have to be able to use it, think driving and suspension setup.

ITA240
04-09-2002, 11:29 AM
If I stated something that was incorrect, I apologize. Dave at Rebello has been very helpful in some development problems and exhaust work on my car. I can not question the quality of their work. I thought I remembered those numbers from other posts on here and my conversations with Dave.

The point of my original post was just that most race cars are more expensive to build than to buy. The 240's seem to follow that guideline. They do need things to survive that the Honda racers do NOT have to buy, or are more readily available(cheaper) for the Honda's etc.

Sorry if I mislead anyone!!
Jim

bbp
04-09-2002, 02:08 PM
"They do need things to survive that the Honda racers do NOT have to buy, or are more readily "

Jim, can you elaborate on this? I have an ITS 240sx and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Mike

ITA240
04-09-2002, 11:14 PM
Mike..
I'll address what I can (Bob S.--cut in at anytime to correct me or fill in the blanks). CRX's can run summertime enduro's in Florida with a stock radiator and never get hot. I saw one at Sebring darn near win a race with the entire top tank of the radiator blown apart for over half the race. A 240 with hardly any coolant pressure loss is a 240 that is about to get expensive. very limited availability of headers. They are heavy. the rear suspension binds, so you must install spherical bearings to replace the bushings. They do not like to be over-revved(well, most engines don't).

even with all that...I still love driving this car...great balance, great power...rear drive chassis.

email me offline for more..
[email protected]