PDA

View Full Version : Front strut mod. for Ground Control

snowmann
05-23-2005, 12:04 AM
I've read the previous posts about the strut modifications and after looking at the koni's I have, I dont see how I could possibly shorten the strut housing without the shock sticking out of the housing a mile. Am I missing something here? The actuall shock body is the same length as the shock I pulled out (which was red with no markings so Im assuming not OE).

Let me know whats going on here because I just don't see how taking an inch out is going to work.

Also what are the weld on perch's thicknesses. The dealer I went through didn't include the weld on perches so Im just going to punch some out tomorrow, I figured 3/16"?

chuck baader
05-24-2005, 12:35 PM
You probably have a spacer in the bottom of the strut tube to accomodate the shock. Remove this and measure, with the new insert installed, the distance from the top of the shock to the gland nut. Should be about 1 1/2", and that is the amount of shortening you must do. You can cut with a commercial pipe cutter, but have someone EXPERIENCED TIG the joint. Remove your stock spring perch and weld you new in place. Use a 2 1/2" X 6" spring with the coil over conversion so everything will clear the tire. BTW, you will need a 1/2" spacer on the front wheels for the 225 section tire to clear the strut tube.Good luck, Chuck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

anthonywill3
05-24-2005, 06:29 PM
not to thread highjack, but can anyone recommend a good place to have a Koni SA rebuilt (blew front right at Pocono last weekend)???

chuck baader
05-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Either Koni, or Truechoice...usually Truechoice has better turnaround. Chuck