PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar Mounting Plate Question

snowmann
05-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to box in the rear shock tower area provided I tie in the roll bar mounting plate their and maintain the 100 square inch rule? These are a common weak point on the e30s and some added support via the mounting plates would help that out... Am I wrong here or... give me some advice

chuck baader
05-08-2005, 07:07 PM
The shock tower area is not where suspension loads are transmitted from the suspension. Loads are transmitted via the springs and the down tubes from the main hoop should be tied in to the rear bulkhead where the fender, floor, and bulkhead meet. Good luck, Chuck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

Bryan Watts
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by snowmann:
These are a common weak point on the e30s and some added support via the mounting plates would help that out... Am I wrong here or... give me some advice

The sheet metal isn't the weak link. The bushings are. Worn/broken bushings are usually the cause for the sheet metal actually having problems. Replace the bushings with a solid spherical and you are good to go...you can use the Z3 reinforcement plates to sandwich the sheet metal (though I'm not sure of IT legality there). Very little load is actually transferred by the shocks.

The sheet metal only becomes a problem if you go with a rear coilover...not an IT legal mod.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited May 09, 2005).]

snowmann
05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Yea I dont believe that plate is legal either? anyone, anyone? Thats why I guess I was contemplating tieing in the cage there.

chuck baader
05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
rear shock mounts are free...several companies make reinforced mounts all the way to spherical bearings, all legal. use the 10x10 plate at the spring perch. Chuck

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar