PDA

View Full Version : Rear "True" Coilovers?

snk328is
05-05-2005, 05:18 PM
I searched with the key word "coilover" in this forum but couldn't find anything that answered my question. Thusly...

Are rear coilovers allowed in the case of an E36 325?

GCR 17.1.4.D.5.b.3. (whew!) says that the springs "shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment."

At the end of that paragraph, it also says "Coil over threaded body shock/struts are permitted."

It seems that the two statements contradict each other when it comes to the rear suspension of the E36 325, or am I not reading the rules right?

Bryan Watts
05-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Rear coilovers aren't allowed as the spring wouldn't be in the original location.

The portion talking about threaded body shocks/struts is a new rule to allow threaded bodies instead of having to use an additional threaded sleeve over top of the shock/strut body (like the GC coilovers). But, you can only use this on suspensions where the spring is origionally mounted on the shock/strut...i.e. the front of the E36.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited May 05, 2005).]

snk328is
05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks Bryan for once again clarifying the rules for me...

This question arose because I was still undecided on where to tie the main hoop supports to when I get a custom cage made. I thought that I would do well to tie them on to the rear shock towers but if I can't run coilovers in the rear, that wouldn't be optimal, would it?

Post Edit: After reading an old thread (on another forum), I'm thinking the best thing to do here is to tie the rear hoop supports to the area where the rear "firewall" and wheel wells meet...

[This message has been edited by snk328is (edited May 05, 2005).]

Bryan Watts
05-05-2005, 06:35 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">After reading an old thread (on another forum), I'm thinking the best thing to do here is to tie the rear hoop supports to the area where the rear \"firewall\" and wheel wells meet...</font>

That would definitely be my preference.