PDA

View Full Version : more tech questions

Khammitte
03-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I am attending the drivers school in April at NHIS and am trying to make the needed modifications to my wife's BMWCCA club racing prepared 1988 M3 to pass tech. Besides the fuel sampling valve, disconnecting the ABS, and disabling the steering lock, is there anything anyone knows should be done? I also have this from the NARRC rules:

ALL ENTRANTS MUST have in their possession, and available to tech personnel or the Chief Steward, the "Series Rulebooks and specification sheets" (IMSA Rulebook, SCCA Pro Racing rulebook, Pro-Rally rulebook, etc.) and an official manufacturer's shop manual(s) to authenticate the vehicle in
its state/condition of preparation.

Does anyone know where I get this stuff?

Thanks

GKR_17
03-29-2005, 07:59 AM
If you're only going to a school, you can probably limit your changes to those required to meet the safety requiremnts, though I'd call someone responsible for tech at the school to be sure. Most likely, you won't need the fuel sample port, and you can leave the ABS active. But if you plan to race this car in the SCCA in the future, it will need to meet all of the rules for whatever class you intend to run. Do you have a GCR? You'll need one for the classroom portion anyway.

Greg Amy
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
See the Northeast Forum.

Bryan Watts
03-30-2005, 02:43 AM
You shouldn't need to disconnect ABS since you'll be running the car in a catch-all class that allows cars prepared for other series.

snk328is
03-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I did a search in the GCR for "ITE" and didn't find anything about it.

Is it described anywhere else? Or is it something that every region decides to run or not run on their own?

Khammitte
03-30-2005, 11:06 AM
This is from NARRC

NARRC rules

IMPROVED TOURING ENDURO (Class Designation = ITE) The purpose of the NARRC ITE class is to allow vehicles form other professional race series, Pro-Rally, Showroom Stock (those not otherwise eligible for IT or SS) and equivalent marquee club classes to compete at a Regional level. No guarantee of competitiveness or equality is expressed or
implied.

To that end, the ITE rules and guidelines are that ALL VEHICLES MUST:
- meet (at minimum) current Improved Touring safety specifications.
- run on DOT approved street radials; tire brand is free. However, wheel and tire specifications must be per the original series rules.
Original series (except Pro-Rally) must have run exclusively on DOT tires.
- compete in their declared series specification, except for tire brand & modifications, to meet SCCA safety specs.
- display current SCCA Club Racing decals
- possess an SCCA (only) vehicle logbook and roll cage number.
- meet the current SCCA sound requirements.
ALL COMPETITORS MUST conform to current SCCA General Competition Rules.
ALL ENTRANTS MUST have in their possession, and available to tech personnel or the Chief Steward, the "Series Rulebooks and specification sheets" (IMSA Rulebook, SCCA Pro Racing rulebook, Pro-Rally rulebook, etc.) and an official manufacturer's shop manual(s) to authenticate the vehicle in
its state/condition of preparation.

-----Original Message-----

snk328is
03-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks. I was wondering because a local BMWCCA club racer is contemplating racing in SCCA and he has an M3.

I had told him that he probably needs to disable ABS because the ITCS requires it, but now I see that I had the wrong interpretation of the ITE class.

I did a Google search on "SCCA ITE" (I probably shoulda done that to begin with, shoulda known better!). Looks like each region has their own ITE rules... Confusing!