PDA

View Full Version : restrictor plate delete - not scca

mlytle
02-24-2005, 01:45 PM
for you bmw guys that race both scca its and bmwcca jp with your e36's..

the bmw cr tech committee approved my request to allow its prepped cars to remove the scca intake restrictor plate when racing in bmw cr events. a rule change should be published soon to document this.

marshall

Greg Amy
02-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Good move. That should resolve potential conflicts for both orgs...

Andy Bettencourt
02-25-2005, 08:57 PM
...and your E46's...

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

Bryan Watts
02-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Andy - No restrictor required for the E46? Unless I've missed something from SCCA in the last month.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited February 28, 2005).]

Super Swift
02-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Try the new fastrack it adds the 2000 323 and a 56mm little buddy.

Why? Never seen one run so it must be an over dog.

Bryan Watts
03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Just saw that. What a load of #*$) from those who make decisions. Has anyone even finished building an E46 yet?

robits325is
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
We have contacted SCCA about the E-46 restrictor plate. Apparently someone arbitrarily felt that this car might be an overdog and randomly decided to penalize this car with a restrictor plate. No supporting data, no on track performance (No E-46 has even entered into one event). This is an obvious mistake by an overzealous and trigger happy official. Before we take this argument to the highest level, I would like to give the SCCA a chance to clear up this mistake.

Rob Driscoll
Auto Technic, LLC.
6 Danbury Road
New Milford, CT. 06776
www.autotechnic.net (http://www.autotechnic.net)

Andy Bettencourt
03-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by robits325is:
This is an obvious mistake by an overzealous and trigger happy official. Before we take this argument to the highest level, I would like to give the SCCA a chance to clear up this mistake.

Rob Driscoll
Auto Technic, LLC.
6 Danbury Road
New Milford, CT. 06776
www.autotechnic.net (http://www.autotechnic.net)

Actually Rob (as you know now), this appears to be a clerical error. We are working to get it fixed for the next Fastrack.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt

robits325is
03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Thanks Andy - I glad we didn't have to unleash Stewart - we keep him tied up in the back room for situations like this.

Rob

Banzai240
03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
Actually Rob (as you know now), this appears to be a clerical error. We are working to get it fixed for the next Fastrack.

AB

Andy is right... this was a clerical error and was not a recommended change... (pretty tough to justify a PCA to a car that isn't even on the track yet...)

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited March 01, 2005).]

ed325its
03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
How can anyone, with a stright face, suggest that thie posting in Fasttrack was a typo?

Anyone know the real story?

------------------
Ed Tisdale
#22 ITS '95 325is
Racing BMW's since 1984

Andy Bettencourt
03-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ed325its:
How can anyone, with a stright face, suggest that thie posting in Fasttrack was a typo?

[Straight Face]

WE know the real story, Ed. And we just told it to you. It was an error and will be corrected in the next Fastrack.

[/Straight Face]

http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt

Banzai240
03-02-2005, 11:23 AM

The car makes 19 less HP than the E36, and we've classified it at 3000lbs. vs the E36's 2850lbs + 56mm restrictor (not enough, in my opinion...)...

Can anyone with enough success in life to own/race a BMW really come here with a suggestion that a group of people who have DEMONSTRATED over the past season that they are working in a logical and consistant manner would puposefully put a restrictor plate on a car than they MEANINGFULLY classified at a weight consistant with their classification process??? GIVE Me a freakin' break...

The facts are that, when the request came in to add the 2000 model year to the Spec line for this car, the question was asked as to whether or not the car needed the same restrictor that the E36 has. The opinion of the ITAC was that the car was correctly classified using our process and that there was no justification for putting a restrictor on a car that hadn't yet shown excessive performance potential for the class...

Someone who was taking notes (usually me, but not this time...) must have written down "add restrictor" and that got into the CRBs notes.

So YES, it WAS a "typo", or otherwise inadvertantly inserted into the addition of the model years that were added...

I talked to the CRB and clarrified this issue and it is being corrected...

I know you are all perfect... but there are still those of us out here who make mistakes on occasion...

Should this car generate enough data to show that it's performance potential exceeds the original estimates, rest assured that a restrictor or other PCA adjustment WILL be applied to the specifications...

Again... JUST ASK next time if you think something doesn't look right. We'll be more than willing to tell you the truth. We have no reason to hide behind false statements...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

Bruce Shafer
03-02-2005, 12:47 PM

Yeah, somebody hit the send button too soon.

The ITAC was supposed to wait until an E46 hit the track, then hit the send button on the email requests for the restrictor plate.

lateapex911
03-02-2005, 09:02 PM
http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

seckerich
03-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Yea,just check out Whittel's times at the pro last weekend at Road Atlanta and you can see the restrictor just killed you guys. 1:40 and change just like the ARRC.

Bryan Watts
03-03-2005, 02:54 AM
sec - From what I understand, a pavement change in 10A had eveyone's laptimes low. Any speed gained in 10A is carried all the way down the hill and into T1. Spec Miata was below track record too.

seckerich
03-03-2005, 08:40 AM
That makes sense, will see at VIR in a few weeks.
SE

kthomas
03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by seckerich:
Yea,just check out Whittel's times at the pro last weekend at Road Atlanta and you can see the restrictor just killed you guys. 1:40 and change just like the ARRC.

Pavement at 10a and continued off season suspension development: not all "horsepower" is located in the engine. OTOH, Sunbelt will find you all the horsepower that is. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

------------------
katman

Bruce Shafer
03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bryan Watts:
sec - From what I understand, a pavement change in 10A had eveyone's laptimes low. Any speed gained in 10A is carried all the way down the hill and into T1. Spec Miata was below track record too.

Please, don't let facts cloud this issue.

Andy Bettencourt
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Shafer:
Yeah, somebody hit the send button too soon.

The ITAC was supposed to wait until an E46 hit the track, then hit the send button on the email requests for the restrictor plate.

Bruce,

Seriously, why would you say this when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?

FACT: ZERO letters came in asking for restriction of the E46.
FACT: The ITAC has NEVER recommeneded a restictor on any BMW in IT. It came right from the CRB.

Care to share why you are so sour? Doubt it.

Andy

------------------
Andy Bettencourt

Banzai240
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Please, don't let facts cloud this issue.

Here's a fact... the post above said ALL the cars went faster with the new pavement... and yet STILL, the BMW was on top... Hmmmm...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

kthomas
03-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Banzai240:
Here's a fact... the post above said ALL the cars went faster with the new pavement... and yet STILL, the BMW was on top... Hmmmm...

Hmmm, indeed. Me thinks the best driver was on top.

------------------
katman

Bruce Shafer
03-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Did I miss the section in the GCR where it says BMW's are not allowed to win? Or is the wording for that section still being hammered out?

There has been 5 ITS races in Florida so far this year, and no BMW's have won. Seems like things are about RIGHT, Hmmmm...

mlytle
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM

There has been 5 ITS races in Florida so far this year, and no BMW's have won. Seems like things are about RIGHT, Hmmmm...

yeah, i heard you had some fun with the hordes of rx7's at sebring bruce! i talked with john c last night. i guess his bmw got collected by a few of them in the rain race.

marshall

Banzai240
03-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Did I miss the section in the GCR where it says BMW's are not allowed to win? Or is the wording for that section still being hammered out?

Bruce,

Maybe things ARE about right NOW... That would be great... Or, maybe the "best" drivers didn't show up in BMWs at these events??? It works both ways...

No one has anything against BMWs winning... if the best drivers show up with the best prepared cars, then they should be capable of a win... regardless of what the car make/model is... That would be ideal...

By the same token, BMWs are not exempt from the same scrutiny that other makes receive...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

robits325is
03-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Bruce,

By the same token, BMWs are not exempt from the same scrutiny that other makes receive...

How many other makes of cars are required to run a restrictor plate? How many other cars are currently being considered for a competitive adjustment?

I've have seen ITA Acura Integras constantly dominate races and win with huge leads and nobody says a word.

Just my observation/opinion.

Rob Driscoll

Banzai240
03-03-2005, 04:07 PM
How many other makes of cars are required to run a restrictor plate? How many other cars are currently being considered for a competitive adjustment?

No other cars currently run a restrictor. The numbers on the BMW were such to warrant either a weight adjustment or a restrictor... There may be others, but only so much can be done at one time...

All of IT is being looked at and considered...

Guys... the BMW is NOT a target of some witch hunt... It simply is the class of the field... NOT based on results, but based on data that describes the car's performance potential in relation to others in the class... The results just reflect that data...

Again, the goal is to bring some balance back to the classifications... That should leave the winning up to you...

When the BMW was introduced to ITS, it severely raised the performance parameters of the class and "marginalized" many cars that previously had been "competitive"... That is something that needs looking into and that some would like to correct...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited March 03, 2005).]

Bruce Shafer
03-03-2005, 04:50 PM
yeah, i heard you had some fun with the hordes of rx7's at sebring bruce! i talked with john c last night. i guess his bmw got collected by a few of them in the rain race.

marshall

Marshall,

I enjoyed meeting John. Nice guy. I didn't get a chance to talk to him after Sunday's race, so I don't know what happened.

Somewhere on the first lap of that race I hit a big puddle hard and lost my serpentine belt. I thought something was wrong, but the steering feel was so different with the rain tires that I thought the belt was just slipping. The windshield was fogged bad and I was concentrating so hard trying to see out that I neglected to check my gauges on a regular basis. When I did check, both water temps were pegged. Got a solid 40 minutes out of that motor... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif

Bruce

Edit: Fixed quotes

[This message has been edited by Bruce Shafer (edited March 04, 2005).]

robits325is
03-03-2005, 05:05 PM

Guys... the BMW is NOT a target of some witch hunt... It simply is the class of the field... NOT based on results, but based on data that describes the car's performance potential in relation to others in the class... The results just reflect that data...

Not based on results? Why else would you impose a competitive adjustment other than results? The 'performance potential ' arguement has to stop. What if Honda of Japan showed up with 100 mechanics and a $10,000,000 budget - don't you think THAT car would be an overdog - reguardless of class? Rediculous argument but potentially possible.

The members of the BMW crowd that I speak too all feel that the SCCA dislikes BMWs that do well. (some voice their opinions publically and some privatly) From the Z4 incident($) at the runoffs to the restrictor plate on the E-36 to the typo on the E-46 they all have valid arguments.

The argument that results reflect the data is one sided. How many track records are held by BMWs nationwide - not at just Road Atlanta? How many years did the RX-7 dominate ITS in the 90's? Almost all of them.

Banzai240
03-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Not based on results? Why else would you impose a competitive adjustment other than results? The 'performance potential ' arguement has to stop. ... The argument that results reflect the data is one sided.

I disagree... If the data on the car did not explain it's performance, would we have adjusted it?? NO... The two correlate, and that is significant...

The members of the BMW crowd that I speak too all feel that the SCCA dislikes BMWs that do well. (some voice their opinions publically and some privatly) From the Z4 incident($) at the runoffs to the restrictor plate on the E-36 to the typo on the E-46 they all have valid arguments.

If that's the case, then why is the Z3 now in ITA? In the past, that car would have automatically been put into ITS...

I believe in the past the Porsches have recieved a raw deal, but BMWs seem to wind up competitive wherever they are classed... as evidence from your Z4 example above... Even WITH the restrictor, Jim managed to blow everyone else off the track that day...

Better driver??? Better car??? I'll leave that for you to decide...

I can assure you that, regardless of what you seem to think, the ITAC is certainly NOT anti-BMW... we just think they ought to be classed based on their potential...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

JeffYoung
03-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Your cars are fast, they'll be fast with the restrictor and they'll be even faster when the E46 gets developed. Like K-man said, lots of "horsepower" outside the motor.

DOn't understand the bellyaching. I really don't. Go race, win some races and have fun.

lateapex911
03-03-2005, 08:01 PM

I've have seen ITA Acura Integras constantly dominate races and win with huge leads and nobody says a word.

Just my observation/opinion.

Rob Driscoll

Ok, WHERE have you seen this world domination?? How MANY Integras are you speaking of? You have an "S" on Integra in your quote, so it has to be more than one.

And WHO have these cars run away from?

Listen, even MY car runs and hides from certain ITS RX-7s, and we all know that I am NOT the class of the either the 1st gen RX-7 field, nor ITA...

The context of your statement is very important, but totally missing...so it really holds little water.

Are the Integras fast? Yes, and people HAVE said things, but when you compare the best to the best (and that would be Serra in his Integra vs Stretch in his Nissan (formerly)), they are even up at Atlanta. The only guy I have seen locally really run with Serra is a CRX.

Sorry but comparing the Integra to the BMW isn't cutting it with me...

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

mlytle
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Marshall,

I enjoyed meeting John. Nice guy. I didn't get a chance to talk to him after Sunday's race, so I don't know what happened.

Somewhere on the first lap of that race I hit a big puddle hard and lost my serpentine belt. I thought something was wrong, but the steering feel was so different with the rain tires that I thought the belt was just slipping. The windshield was fogged bad and I was concentrating so hard trying to see out that I neglected to check my gauges on a regular basis. When I did check, both water temps were pegged. Got a solid 40 minutes out of that motor... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif

Bruce

yike bruce, sorry to hear about your engine. you seem to go through them on a regular basis. ouch.
marshall

lateapex911
03-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Not based on results? Why else would you impose a competitive adjustment other than results? The 'performance potential ' arguement has to stop. What if Honda of Japan showed up with 100 mechanics and a $10,000,000 budget - don't you think THAT car would be an overdog - reguardless of class? Rediculous argument but potentially possible.

The argument that results reflect the data is one sided. How many track records are held by BMWs nationwide - not at just Road Atlanta? How many years did the RX-7 dominate ITS in the 90's? Almost all of them.

Dude...chill out! A typo is a valid arguement?? Pullleeeez!

Really, guys who own cars that aren't class dominating models read this stuff and roll their eyes! "I WISH I had the problems the BMW guys have",they say, or... "Gee...I WISH the SCCA hated MY car as much....I might have a shot at a win!"

Seriously, the rest of the classes are reading this and thinking "Me thinks they doth complain too much"...

To wit:

How many years did the 7 dominate? Dunno, but, factor in the number of samples vs the competition, and there might be some logic there. (As in, lots of 7s, not that many Z cars, all things equal, the 7 wins more.) And think about this for a minute , your comment makes an excellent point, but against against the BMW...

Think about it...They (the SCCA) class the RX-7 in ITS, and set the weight. Done. Seems OK, but what if it started to dominate, as you say it did. (presuming of course that the domination was caused by superior performance potential of the chassis vis a vis the competition)...what could the club actually DO to restore the balance??? They COULDN'T do a PCA on the car, because PCAs DIDN'T exist!

So, they classed another car they thought could compete...uh ....that's where the E36 comes in....!

Trouble is, IT develops WAY more RWHP than they figured on and now they have a mess....not just the RX-7, but the entire class is getting trounced.

What to do? Well, in the intervening years, some of us campaigned hard for PCAs, and lo and behold, one has been applied to a car that has the specs to be dominant.

Perhaps you would have preferred the club add another car to the class rendering the E36 to also ran status??

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

mlytle
03-04-2005, 12:17 AM
this is actually kinda funny,

"How many years did the 7 dominate? Dunno, but, factor in the number of samples vs the competition, and there might be some logic there. (As in, lots of 7s, not that many Z cars, all things equal, the 7 wins more.) And think about this for a minute , your comment makes an excellent point,...."

replace "7" with "bmw" and that same argument was made several months ago and shot down.

ya have to ask "why were there so many 7's?" maybe because they were perceived as the "dominant" or "fast" car to have? cars don't show up at the track in volume if they are percieved as mid pack or slower.

JeffYoung
03-04-2005, 12:24 AM
You're right. This is funny. Anybody with a 325 complaining about having it tough is pretty damn funny.

Joe Harlan
03-04-2005, 12:30 AM
cars don't show up at the track in volume if they are percieved as mid pack or slower.

Exactly the point if you pull the overdogs back just a click you could be back to four or five different models competting every weekend. I certainly don't dislike the E36 they have made me loads of money going back to work on older ITS car to stay competitive. The issue I have with them is the car that show up and is marginally prepped and marginally driven and overly competitive with competition that is at it's top level of development and driver skills. I expect the e36 to get faster every year as they get developed and that's not a bad thing. It is a bad thing if the numbers on the car end up so far out of the perfomace envelope of the class that it kills of the other competitors that aren't interested in driving a BMW.

lateapex911
03-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by mlytle:
this is actually kinda funny,

replace "7" with "bmw" and that same argument was made several months ago and shot down.

ya have to ask "why were there so many 7's?" maybe because they were perceived as the "dominant" or "fast" car to have? cars don't show up at the track in volume if they are percieved as mid pack or slower.

Why?? Here's my answer to that....

I think that the 7 was classified in ITS very effectively. Dominant? My definition of dominant is when a particular model has better specs and performance than all other cars, no matter how well prepped the other cars are. Was the 7 dominant? No. because a well prepped early Z car had strengths over the 7 in certain areas, and vice versa. On any given day or track, it was a coin toss.

But, for several reasons, the 7s dominated the results, but not because the model was dominant. The domination was due to raw numbers. Mazda made and sold a ton of the car, and the US arm was VERY supportive of grassroots racing efforts of the 1st gen car, so the goundwork and parts channels were already there. And the 7 benefited from a decade of build improvements. Many old Z cars rusted from the frame rail insides out. The Mazdas held an advantage with the simplicity of it's motor, and by the relative freshenss and availability of good sound motors. Basically, the Z car was the eqaul performance wise, but more work and hassle to purchase, set up and run.

So, the 7 enjoyed tremendous popularity, and the race wins followed...but not due to it's performance superiority.

I remember the initial reaction when the plate was annonunced....a few E36 guys moaned that they were now going to actually have to finish development of their cars! Winning races in non fully developed cars over guys that have gone to the nth development degree makes it hard for others to find sympathy.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Andy Bettencourt
03-04-2005, 10:00 AM

Can we see the landscape through something besides BMW-colored glasses?

I am willing to bet that the BMW holds records where the top cars are...where is the pocket of Bimmerworld cars? RA and VIR where Whittle runs...how about Ed York? Bet he has a couple...

The RX-7/240Z hold them where 1. There are no top BMW's OR 2. There are top versions of said RX-7 or 240Z.

We have a 'process'. The BMW blows that out of the water - and the data we have collected supports that it is to light (or makes to much power) for ITS as it is constituted now.

If *I* classed the E36 TODAY, it would weight 3100 without a restrictor. Same process as the RX-7, the 240Z, the Integra, etc...using known power numbers.

Look out beyond your own porch - and I can tell you that there is NO BMW bias with the current admin...there is an OVERDOG bias...something that has been lacking in the past. Good for the club? I think so.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt

mlytle
03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
ahhh, now this is more like it. we haven't had a thread get hijacked and degenerate into yet another pointless overdog/bmw "discussion" in months! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

really, i didn't mean to do this. i was just trying to tell the bmw cr guys they could take the performance adjustment tool out for bmw cr's....sorry!

marshall

Fastfred92
03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by seckerich:
Yes, Whittel was still fast, he is a fast guy regardless of the car he drives, I was at RA and watched the Pro IT race and it looked to me that there was a good mix of cars up front, E36, Z, RX7's but the E36 did not crush the field and RA should be a "E36" track...

kthomas
03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Here's a thread hijack for you- There's no "h" in Wittel. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

------------------
katman

dspillrat
03-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by kthomas:
Here's a thread hijack for you- There's no "h" in Wittel. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Further Hijack.....
Smart drivers will slowly whittle away at the competition, the goal being to win by just a wittle bit.

david

dj10
03-08-2005, 02:36 PM
If *I* classed the E36 TODAY, it would weight 3100 without a restrictor.
AB

Damn Andy, glad you can't class the E36. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif
I do have a question Andy. Why would the crb shoot down a request to make short shifters legal? All I tried to do is make everyone that are using them LAST YEAR & NOW legal!
I also think there is to much paranoia here.
dj

Andy Bettencourt
03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by dj10:

If *I* classed the E36 TODAY, it would weight 3100 without a restrictor.
AB

Damn Andy, glad you can't class the E36. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif
I do have a question Andy. Why would the crb shoot down a request to make short shifters legal? All I tried to do is make everyone that are using them LAST YEAR & NOW legal!
I also think there is to much paranoia here.
dj

I think it's a classic case of rules creep. There is no need for it in a class that costs are always on the rise. If people are using them, protest them and get them legal. If it's not a performance item, WHY HAVE ONE?

We get more letters complaining about costs and "why is this legal?" than anything. IT is as entry level as it gets from a cost perspective in Club Racing...to add more and more unneccessary allowances only increases that already escalationg number.

AB

dj10
03-08-2005, 03:53 PM
If people are using them, protest them and get them legal.
AB[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Andy, I wonder how many IT cars would have been eliminated from races (including the IT Runoffs) if short shifters would have been checked or protested last year. My guess is 30 to 40%.
dj

lateapex911
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by dj10:
If people are using them, protest them and get them legal.
AB

Thanks Andy, I wonder how many IT cars would have been eliminated from races (including the IT Runoffs) if short shifters would have been checked or protested last year. My guess is 30 to 40%.
dj[/B][/QUOTE]

Nice to know that 30 to 40% of divers have little respect for their fellow driver......

The point is very valid...why does someone spend the money, and the time to install a short shifter (not to mention the accelerated trans wear) if it provided no real or perceived performance gain??

And, the follow up is the obvious lack of desire to stay within the rules.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]