PDA

View Full Version : BMW Tow Straps

MikeBlaszczak
02-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Exctly how do I mount these?

Do they loop around the hard crash bar in the bumper? Or around the crash shock?

If I cut a slot in the bumper skin, they'd end up twisting through if they were wrapped around the bumper shock.

Is the idea to remove the four bolts from the bumper shock's mount into the frame rail and loop them under the bumper shock mount, pinching them in with the bolts?

.B ekiM

BMW RACER
02-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Mike. I was in the same position as you, had the front bumper off, no big deal. And was trying to figure it out, where to cut the hole and how to run the straps (they dont look long enough). What I finally did was: Put the bumper back on, ordered these hooks from TC Design
http://www.tcdesignfab.com/New%20Products.htm
Not the cheapest way, but certainly the easiest way, just screw them in and I was done! They also have a fairly high "cool factor" Also if anyone wants a set of those straps I'll make them a spanking deal!
John Norris
ITS E36

mlytle
02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
i went the cheapest way. two nice u-bolts from home depot. drill two holes in center of front and rear bumper. stick u-bolt through, bolt nice backing plate behind bumper to spread load. if you hog out the center side of the holes, the u-bolt pushes into the bumper to be almost flush. if it is needed it just pulls out to the backing plates.

nothing to "protrude dangerously", cheap, and you get towed from the center of the bumper, not offset like the stock locations. (ever seen a car pulled diagonally out of a sand trap by an off center tow hook? it doesn't roll...)

marshall

[This message has been edited by mlytle (edited February 22, 2005).]

MikeBlaszczak
02-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks, John. At the very least, now I don't feel so stupid!

Turner has a similar product here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai..._ID=TOW/E36/E46 (http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TOW/E36/E46)

but they don't say that it screws into the factory hook point. From the picture it looks like they do, but I'm not too familiar with the E46 bodied cars (like the one pictured). I wrote to them last week and haven't yet enjoyed the courtesy of a reply.

Where did you buy yours? The tcdesign site says to contact Evosport, but I don't see the hook at their website.

.B ekiM

.B ekiM

BMW RACER
02-23-2005, 10:59 PM
That's them. I got mine from Evosport. Did it the old fashioned way, phone!

Good luck.
John

ilateapex
02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I think the strap goes around the bumper shock in a choking type manor. There is no screwing to the factory point. Bimmerworld has these for $20 I think.

Michael

MikeBlaszczak
02-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks, Michael. But what is a "choking type manor"?

ilateapex
02-24-2005, 04:36 PM
You take one end of the strap and fish it through the eye of the other end. This makes a loop that gets tighter (chokes) as it is pulled. Make sure you wrap it around the item to be choked before you put the other end through the eye. Easier to show then to explain.

Michael