PDA

View Full Version : BMW 2002 info?

captdanh
11-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Hello. I am considering building a BMW 2002 for ITB. Can anyone out there answer a few questions?
What year or years if any, are most desireable for IT?
Are the ti or tii models eligible?
I read somewhere that a 5 speed was optional. If true, is it legal for it?
Can anyone point me to some enthusiast or parts suppliers, or racers/builders websites?

Thanks,

Dan

------------------
Dan Heath

nlevine
11-02-2004, 11:08 PM
It's been a while since I raced my 2002 (a '71), but here goes:

I believe that you'll want a round tail-light car, as they are a bit lighter than the '74 - '76 cars.

The tii is classed in ITA. Carb-ed is the only one classed in ITB (check GCR for legal carbs - typically a Weber 32/36(?)).
The ti is not classified - I do not believe it was a model officially imported into North America, and therefore not eligible (basically a tii with dual side-drafts, I think).

Since I don't believe any IT-eligible 2002 came with a 5-speed as standard equipment, they are not legal for IT.

Ireland Engineering - http://www.bmw2002.com - is a good place to start.

-noam
#18 ITA BMW Z3
NER SCCA

Tim
11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Where are you located? I have a 73 all set to go, didn't make it out this season but can't wait for the spring. Your welcome to come by and check it out if your close to stamford ct. I have some pics at www.gelling.com/02Race (http://www.gelling.com/02Race) from when I was working on the car, you might be interested in checking out.

good luck tim

lateapex911
11-12-2004, 05:50 PM
If I were a guy who had a thing for 2002s, and wanted to race and have a chance, I would be in a bind! But...I would first write to the CRB requesting reclassification of the 2002tii to ITB.

Get the empirical data on the car (IT RWHP, IT weight, etc) and compare and contrast to the frontrunners in ITA and ITB. The Acura has a great multi link susp, the CRX weighs nothing, the 240 SX has tons of TQ and power, the Tii has...well none of that stuff!

It is a much better fit in B I bet. Call around to see what the power at the wheels would be like in IT trim, and I bet the CRB will probably see it your way.

My gut is that the other 2002 B versions are outmatched by the B frontrunners, esp. the power of the Audis.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited November 12, 2004).]

Speed Raycer
11-12-2004, 06:58 PM
If you need a cage, shoot me an email. I'm working on a 2002 cage right now to send to a customer out in CA. No reason I can't bend two up at the same time!

scott(AT)izzyscustomcages(DOT)com

Here's some pics of it:
74 BMW 2002 Weld-In cage (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/BMW02Cage.html)

[Edited for link.]

[This message has been edited by Speed Raycer (edited November 18, 2004).]

BMW RACER
11-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Dan. Check also with Darren Young at Artspeed.
310-575-4445. He has a lot experience with ITB 2002's

HGrafx Miata
11-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Dan; This may be a little late but maybe you will find it useful. I raced an ITA Tii for 8 seasons in the north east and although I loved the car I think it would be very difficult to build a legal car that would be better than mid pack. You'll find some great guys to race with but you'll only be going backwards from there. I think ITB is a different story, maybe not 1st or 2nd but I would think you could build a top 5 car. I agree with Noam that the earlier cars are lighter to start with and that the people to talk to are at Ireland Engineering on the west coast. Jeff Ireland raced a 2002 for years in ITB before moving to vintage. There were a number of 2002 in the north east for quite awhile, one of the fastest ITB cars was Randy Currier out of NH. There was also a few cars out of NJ that were very fast in both ITA and ITB including Mike Frost, Bill Zick, Wade Wilson, Paul Paparella and Rick Kiceniuk. These cars were mostly run out of Kiceniuk's shop, I think he was from Annandale NJ. I havn't seen Rick Kicniuk in a long time but he would be a wealth of information if you can track him down. I still see Paul Paparella from time to time running vintage events, he was from Westfield NJ, he might be able to get you in touch with him. Rick Currier (Randy's brother) can be reached at CTechRacing.Com. They are currently running an ITS 325 very competativly in the Northeast. As far as the 5 speed goes I don't think it is legal, don't hold me to that but that is the way I remember it. Depending on what tracks you are running you will want to find a 3:9 and 4:10 diff, the latter from a 1600. Which brings up a whole other class...ITC in a 1600. I hope you find some of this encouraging either way it was fun to remember, Good Luck ...John