PDA

View Full Version : BMW 2002 Transmissions

Ron Earp
11-20-2004, 02:16 PM
I saw the other thread on 2002s but didn't want to hijack it.

Anyone know anything about 2002 5 speed transmissions? I have been told the 5 speed in the 2002 is the same 5 speed that I am using in the Jensen Healey, a Getrag unit. I'm also told (although it conflicts depending on who answers the question) that the things are rather fragile.

I'm just searching for information on them and for a spare transmission.

Thanks,
Ron

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

DaveITB1
11-20-2004, 10:22 PM
This link is a rundown of the BMW transmissions in 2002's and 320i's. I run an '82 320i in ITB with a Getrag 245/4 in it. I have been slamming that thing for 4 years now on New England tracks without a hiccup. It is a very strong box. The 2002's 5-speed (Getrag 235/5) is the same length as my 245/4 box, but the 235's are very hard to come by, and from what I've heard, are not that strong.

If the Jensen's tranny is a 235, then the 245 SHOULD work in its place. If you need one, my mechanic has 3 in his shop. Drop me an email and let me know if I can help.

http://www.bimmers.com/02/faq/transmission.html

Dave Austin
[email protected]

PS I have a '60 Austin Healey 3000 Mk1 (street car) !!!!!

Ron Earp
11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Lo and behold, I have the rare close ratio street 5 speed made of Unobtainium, Ub on the periodic table. The one where you cannot get parts, as I've been told before. The one that cost $2500USD to rebuild. The one that some guy just paid $2000 for on Ebay not long ago. Great! A gearbox that is worth more than my car. Another pleasure of building an odd car. ;-(

Well, I'd love to run a later model box but that would be illegal correct? I mean, the ratios would actually be worse for me with the OD (I don't need it, engine goes to 7500 RPM) in top gear, where the 1:1 of the orignal box is more favorable. So, it would not be a performance advantage, it would be an advantage to my wallet though.

I wonder if I could swap this thing in without running afoul of the rules due to unavailablity? Or, does the rule board just say too bad?

------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited November 21, 2004).]

DaveITB1
11-22-2004, 12:01 AM
The legality would be based on the trannies that Jensen used during their production run. If the 245/4 was used in your car, than you would be legal. Do some research on what they used. You may luck out. Jesen may have found out later in their production run that the 245 was a beefier and more reliable box. Then, I'd then put your box up on eBay. : )

As far as performance advantage, that can be made up in changing the ratios in the rear end too. I change between a 3.9 and a 4.10 in my car (both of which were available on the 320i), depending on the track. If I'm not mistaken, 2005 also allows you to change your wheel size in IT. For me, I have been limited to running 13's and can now go as large as 15's. That, too, will change the performance. Google the Jensen Healey and see what you can find out about the tranny. I'm now interested in what you find.

7500rpm stock? I dream of redlines like that!!

Good Luck.

- dave

Ron Earp
11-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Yep, the little Lotus motor is very undersquare and since it has no lifters, it has direct cam action on the valve like a motorcycle, it can tach up pretty good. Actually, theorectical max based on piston speed is over 8600, but there is no way the thing will breathe there.

I'm out of luck on the tranny. The 5 speed was only offered in one model year production, 1975, and in vry low quantities. Jensen Healey stopped production before they found out about the tranny, unfortunately. And, even if they did find out given their history they wouldn't have cared!

I suppose I'll have to shift nice and see if I can make it last. Thanks for the input on this thing though, I appreciate that.

Ron

------------------
Ron
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica

DaveITB1
11-22-2004, 09:02 AM
You're welcome.
Good luck with the build.

- dave

PS - I know there is a guy who runs an E-Production Jesen Healey in the Northeast. I'll see if I can track down his name for you. Perhaps he can add some additional help to you for your build.